s211 om642 with oil leak then brake fluid warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI W211 Wagon
s211 om642 with oil leak then brake fluid warning

Hi,
I have a 2008 s211 with om642 engine soon to reach 410 000 km. For quite some time I've had occasional smell of burnt oil but not had time to do proper locating of the issue due to high work load. This sunday when I drove by the local McD there was more smell than usual and a puff of smoke. I parked and investigated, now it was clear that the oil had came from from the filler cap, travelled by the side of the engine until it reached the exhaust. Since there is a rubber cup around the filler neck it probably accumulated there and released at some bump. At first I was worried that I got crankhouse pressure and that push the oil out but there is no pressure at all. It has had some oil consumption, had to add ~0,5 liter every 3-4 thousand km or so but nothing that would concern someone that also owns a Land Rover.. Runs perfectly smooth, starts easy, no extra rattle on cold starts and no smoke.

New oil filler cap ordered and since it was (more than) due for an oil and filter change I did that last evening. Oil was black and smooth, no buildups nor metal pieces neither in the filter nor at the plug. Cleaned up a bit on the side of the engine with degreaser to see if more oil would get out. Drove around for a while, checked that nothing was leaking from the filter house nor any other places that could be seen from above.

This morning we had a few degrees below zero (C), when starting it had a higher idle than normal at ~1400 rpm. It's quite common that engines runs at higher rpm in beginning but I can't recall this one ever did that so I got a bit surprised, after a minute or so it went down to normal 800 rpm idle. It had marked territory with a few oil spots on the street, but not more than what a Land Rover would have done and the cap is not changed yet so didn't worry too much about it.

When driving the kids to school the message to check break fluid level came up. First it just flashed briefly, then longer until it stayed on. Breaks functioned normally, if there is a leak in the system it is normally noticeable by the pedal going down. Checked the fluid level, a bit low but over the min marking. Bought brake fluid to fill it up to max, warning stayed on. Drove it about 15 km to my office, warning is still on but level in the brake fluid reservoir had not got any lower.

Does this warning has to be cleared with a scanner? The discs are quite worn so they are going to be replaced next time, pads had plenty left last time I checked and no warning on them. Nothing visible at the calipers indicating leak there, and it still feels and behaves normal on the pedal. The only thing I can think of that would be related to the oil leak and change, since this came right after, is if the ABS unit got some stains of oil since it is located just next to the filler tube.