E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Mystical problem with the ABS and ESP system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E220 CDI
Mystical problem with the ABS and ESP system

I recently bought a 2002 E220 cdi, but i've been having some issues with the ABS system.
first the ABS ESP and BAS warning came up on the dash, and when this warning was there the entire abs and esp system was disabled, but restarting the car was enough to make it go away for a while.
Got the codes pulled wich showed a fault with the abs sensor on the right rear wheel.
swapping the sensor made no difference and the ABS ring looked perfectly fine. decided to change the ring and sensor on the rear left since the ring was completly mangled. this again made no difference. what could the problem be? i doubt it's the rear right abs ring since it looks completly fine and spins with the axle like it's supposed to. could it be a relay or an electrical issue? if so how to i test for that?
The following users liked this post:
Overheated (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 11:01 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
1998 E320 Wagon, 2003 W211 E500, 2003 W211 E500, 1999 W210 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MathiasF1
I recently bought a 2002 E220 cdi, but i've been having some issues with the ABS system.
first the ABS ESP and BAS warning came up on the dash, and when this warning was there the entire abs and esp system was disabled, but restarting the car was enough to make it go away for a while.
Got the codes pulled wich showed a fault with the abs sensor on the right rear wheel.
swapping the sensor made no difference and the ABS ring looked perfectly fine. decided to change the ring and sensor on the rear left since the ring was completly mangled. this again made no difference. what could the problem be? i doubt it's the rear right abs ring since it looks completly fine and spins with the axle like it's supposed to. could it be a relay or an electrical issue? if so how to i test for that?
Did you clear the codes? Understanding it was a fault at the rear, turn the steering wheel all the way left then right several times and see if it helps.