E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

722.9 Various Noises?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes E500 RWD
722.9 Various Noises?

I have a 2005 E500 with the 722.9 Transmission. About a week ago I noticed my car was shifting a bit rough, but only under specific load conditions. With very low throttle or wide open throttle shifts were smooth and responsive, but under moderate throttle 50% or so, it would noticeably jerk into new gears on upshifts where it had never done that before. The little ICarSoft scanner I have to generally diagnose things shows no faults, and I recently had the transmission fluid changed and refilled on the car, within the last 6 months, to address excessive slippage when the car was cold. The torque converter was excluded from this. Fast forward to today, where after coming out to the car to run an errand I turn it on to hear a whirring noise it hadn't been making on the drive home from work less than 2 hours prior, it almost sounds like a power steering pump, but I also refilled that as well to quiet its whining recently, and there are no issues with steering. The noise increases with RPM, occurs whether in a drive gear or not, and gets noticeably louder when the drivetrain is loaded. It almost sounds like road debris may have gotten stuck in a rotating part. When turning the car on recently sometimes there's a clunk, like the transmission wasn't quite on time with the rest of the car and needed its memory jogged to get started, and when turning off the car there's also a noticeable clunk as parts that would normally spin freely for a short time seem to abruptly halt once power is lost. There's definitely some friction occuring where there either should be less, or none at all. There are no obvious leaks present and I'm unable to get a lift on such short notice to see under the car. Any ideas what might be going on?