E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Few Changes on new '05's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Floor Mat Part Number

Well, I now have two:

B6 629 3853
and
B6 629 3866

The first is from a price list and says it is "Satz komplett" for €105.

The second, from the W211 accessories catalog, just says "Veloursmatte"

In the price list there is also a B6 629 3863 "Fahrermatte" and a B6 629 3870 "Zusamatte für Kardantunnel".

All of the numbers say "im diversen Farben passend zum Interieur erhältlich", so there must be an additional code to specify der Farben.

David
Old 10-08-2004, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
My "beef" with rubber mats has always been that when you get in with a shoe full of wet heavy snow, the snow melts & the water runs across the rubber mat to the lowest part of the floor mat & pools there, where it will roll off the mat onto the real carpet due to the movement & right turns of the car.

In my old cars with rubber mats that always left a stain on the floor just aft of the left rear part of the floor mat, near the door. At least the carped mats absorb the melting snow & keep the carpeted floor spotless.
"Snow??", snow?? I live in the South West of England and if you take those two letters out of the word "snow" you will see if we have it or not

I have offered to supply the numbers of the various coloured carpets, but cannot see the sense in typing them out if no one wants them.

Water running off mats is luckily not a problem that we have to suffer.

Regards,
John
Night-time in Torquay (just)
Old 10-08-2004, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
Wouldn't your mats be backwards? Don't you drive on the wrong side?
Old 10-08-2004, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Wouldn't your mats be backwards? Don't you drive on the wrong side?
Your question is quite funny really. I have posted a picture of our mats in case the sides are different, but otherwise between you and me, my accelerator is operated by the right foot, (same as US) my footbrake is in the middle (same as the US) and if there was a clutch it would be on the Left (same as the US)

The mats MIGHT be backward but.............. I am just slightly concerned about the sides though. The right side of the mat rests against the outside panel, the lftside against the tunnel.

Left side of carpet looks straight, right side is 'moulded'

Regards
Right foot = throttle foot John
Night-time in Torquay
Old 10-08-2004, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Well, I now have two:

B6 629 3853
and
B6 629 3866
The first is from a price list and says it is "Satz komplett" for €105.
The second, from the W211 accessories catalog, just says "Veloursmatte"
Those numbers are obviously for complete sets of mats. I would suggest you just want the drivers mat.

The European numbers are slightly different from ours suggesting that the sides are moulded differently.

Complete Set Pebble Beige B6 629 3854 £58
Driver's Mat Pebble Beige B6 629 3862 £19

As you can see the numbers are quite similar BUT definitely different. No doubt because we drive 'backwards' and on the 'wrong side' of the road.

Good luck with your quest.

John
Old 11-01-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
I also did not like the new console. I asked my dealer to swap it out for me he said he couldn't. any suggestions as to the next step. Thanks
Old 11-01-2004, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by craig309
I also did not like the new console. I asked my dealer to swap it out for me he said he couldn't. any suggestions as to the next step. Thanks
You and I (and anyone else who wish they had the previous center console) are SOL for now. Unless someone comes up with an adapter for Tele-Aid and phone (and the other required material), it cannot be swapped. And, even if someone does come up with the necessary parts to swap it, I'm not sure it worth be worth the cost, although I would be willing to pay a pretty penny. That's how bad I hate this armrest. If you don't have a phone and/or don't plan to ever use Tele-Aid, then you would be able to swap it without a problem.

BTW, if you ordered your car without being advised of this new console, don't expect any sympathy from MBUSA. They would end up pissing you off even more. I am convinced that that is their objective.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by Baby Jocko
BTW, if you ordered your car without being advised of this new console, don't expect any sympathy from MBUSA. They would end up pissing you off even more. I am convinced that that is their objective.

Heres a quote from the back cover of the sales brochure.... It pretty much sums it up.... At least at a legal stand point....

"All illustrations and specifications contained in this brochure are based on the latest product information available at the time of publication. Mercedes Benz reserves the right to make changes at any time without notice, in colors, materials, equiptment, specifications and models".... Blah, blah, blah....
Old 11-01-2004, 08:57 PM

From a legal standpoint, that cannot be argued (not including the REST feature omission and the delayed phone pricing). But, from an ethical and customer service standpoint, in many cases (this being one of them, IMO) that is not good business practice. Just the same, it is not illegal to **** off your customers. But, any company that does that shoots themselves in the foot and eventually may suffer severe consequences.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:01 PM

2010 E63 AMG
I have a few questions. I don't plan on using the phone or teleaid. Did the console fit with no problems? They could not get you a wire harness from a 2004? Thanks again
Old 11-01-2004, 10:15 PM

Yes, as I said, as long as you don't ever plan to use Tele-Aid and the phone, it will easily swap. The physical dimensions are the same. However, depending on the dealer, they may charge you to swap it. My dealer offered to do it at no charge. They then realized after they had it all apart that it couldn't be done unless I wanted to give up the phone and Tele-Aid features, which I don't.

Although I don't precisely know the technicals regarding the communication wiring, I do know that it is not as simple as a "wire harness." There is no simple solution right now (if ever). If it were that simple, I would have the previous one in there right now and have no reason to type this post.

Last edited by Baby Jocko; 11-01-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Unfortunately, they've weaseled more than that...

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Heres a quote from the back cover of the sales brochure.... It pretty much sums it up.... At least at a legal stand point....

"All illustrations and specifications contained in this brochure are based on the latest product information available at the time of publication. Mercedes Benz reserves the right to make changes at any time without notice, in colors, materials, equiptment, specifications and models".... Blah, blah, blah....
It's worse than that, on the E320CDI brochure specifications page there's a footnote (8):
"Console and cupholder design subject to change during model year 2005 production."

I suspect the technical problem has to do with their changing from the D2B audio bus to the MOST bus in the 2005 cars. I don't think the connectors are at all similar (from the training materials I've found). I hate the new one enough that I have half a mind to commission someone to design a signal converter with a microcontroller in it, if it meant that I could have a phone and the old console.

I'm extremely frustrated about this, and my dealer put an old style armrest car into his loaner pool in case I couldn't handle the new one, but with the news about the wiring, I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited by pa28pilot; 11-01-2004 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by pa28pilot
I suspect the technical problem has to do with their changing from the D2B audio bus to the MOST bus in the 2005 cars. I don't think the connectors are at all similar (from the training materials I've found).
OMG... you've been corrected on this so many times!

The W211 E-class has NEVER had D2B bus. Even if it did, there are NO FIBRE OPTIC CABLES in the center console from the gear shifter back.

Steve and I will be willing to swap anyone's new-style console to the old-style as long as you purchase the parts from him. It will involve the console parts and some wiring bits. The trick is using parts from Europe so that the TeleAid/phone wiring will work.

This is theory right now, but seems correct after spending lots of time with the W211 wiring diagrams (that's how I've come up with some phone and Bluetooth ideas). As with phone and Bluetooth stuff, we will need to verify an actual installation on a test car before proceeding with sales.

-s-
Old 11-01-2004, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pa28pilot
I suspect the technical problem has to do with their changing from the D2B audio bus to the MOST bus in the 2005 cars. I don't think the connectors are at all similar (from the training materials I've found). I hate the new one enough that I have half a mind to commission someone to design a signal converter with a microcontroller in it, if it meant that I could have a phone and the old console.
P.S. if you continue to post this untrue speculation, I will be required to remove from your possession your Vanagon Syncro so that I can use it and fit it with a Taurus SHO engine.

p.s. we will be able to change your console and still allow use of your TeleAid and phone. We'll even give you better phone options.

-s-
Old 11-02-2004, 02:03 AM

'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by scorchie
P.S. if you continue to post this untrue speculation, I will be required to remove from your possession your Vanagon Syncro so that I can use it and fit it with a Taurus SHO engine.

p.s. we will be able to change your console and still allow use of your TeleAid and phone. We'll even give you better phone options.

-s-
Sorry, just trying to help. I stand castigated. My apologies. I would personally recommend a Jetta 1.9L TDI engine, but the viscous coupling won't handle the torque. Looks like the Golf 1.9L gas engine is the best bet.

On a more important note, I'm thrilled to hear this. I would like to know if there's anything I shouldn't have the dealer do when my car returns after European Delivery?

Two questions: I'm on the Right Coast, is there someone in your cabal who does work out here? Would I have the dealer swap the console and then have someone else do the phone retrofit?
Old 11-02-2004, 07:40 AM

2010 E63 AMG
I live in New Jersey I'm willing to buy the parts from you, but I will have to install it here in NJ. Please let me know when the patrs will be available. Thanks
Old 11-02-2004, 08:41 AM

E55 Flint Grey/Merlot
Just tried out the new console on a demo last night and all I can say is that I agree with everything Baby Jocko and Gunther wrote except maybe the effusive praise for Atlanta Classic Cars. I like their Accessory Dept and Service is decent but their Sales people leave a lot to be desired compared to RBM. That's what makes horse races I guess.
Has anyone come up with an elbow comfort solution? I have a car on order with a late Jan delivery date. I use the arm rest feature all the time. Seems almost like a torture device with this tambered door design. Any improvement in the cupholders (marginal) and aesthetics is totally offset with a major loss of function. Very Un German-like and truly disappointing.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:58 AM

2016 G63 ; 981 boxster GTS
take a chill you guys!

Originally Posted by vitaman
Just tried out the new console on a demo last night and all I can say is that I agree with everything Baby Jocko and Gunther wrote except maybe the effusive praise for Atlanta Classic Cars. I like their Accessory Dept and Service is decent but their Sales people leave a lot to be desired compared to RBM. That's what makes horse races I guess.
Has anyone come up with an elbow comfort solution? I have a car on order with a late Jan delivery date. I use the arm rest feature all the time. Seems almost like a torture device with this tambered door design. Any improvement in the cupholders (marginal) and aesthetics is totally offset with a major loss of function. Very Un German-like and truly disappointing.
listen. i just got an new E with the new console. i had been against it also.
just live with the car for a week or two. i found it to be not uncomfortable.
i think it looks a heck of a lot better w/appear pkg too. the tambour door seems quite sturdy also. the chrome strip is hardly an issue to quibble about, and the stitched leather on the console (appear pkg only?) looks good to my eye.
step off the panic button , dont cancel your orders, and if you no like, i bet you can find guys to install custom bolsters. prior to pickup i inquired to a local tuner who does a lot of trim work, and at least that guy thought it could be an easy add-on. you could put a nice , padded , leather bolster with a hinge to access cubby below.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:25 AM

E55 Flint Grey/Merlot
It looks very nice. It's classy and fits well with all around it.
It is Not comfortable. It's a show horse not a work horse. For the amount of $ we're paying, we shouldn't have to hunt all over creation for an aftermarket solution for something so basic.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:35 AM

SL500 E320 ML350
Originally Posted by vitaman
It looks very nice. It's classy and fits well with all around it.
It is Not comfortable. It's a show horse not a work horse. For the amount of $ we're paying, we shouldn't have to hunt all over creation for an aftermarket solution for something so basic.
Amen! Another giant step backward from MB.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have to admit I like the way it looks, and trying them out, it doesn't seem too uncomfortable to rest my arm on the edge of the armrest (where the leather/pleather is, next to the sliding door).

The height is almost identical (if not identical) to the flip-top armrest, so adding additional material to the new door as padding might make it too high for some people.

-s-

edit: spelling

Last edited by scorchie; 11-02-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have to admit I like the way it looks, and trying them out, it doesn't seem to uncomfortable to rest my arm on the edge of the armrest (where the leather/pleather is, next to the sliding door).

The height is almost identical (if not identical) to the flip-top armrest, so adding additional material to the new door as padding might make it too high for some people.

-s-
Hi Scorchie
In your opinion do you think the wood might scratch easily by anyone say wearing cuff links. Or has it a very durable protection?

Regards,
John
A wet cold night in Torquay
Old 11-02-2004, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by glojo
Hi Scorchie
In your opinion do you think the wood might scratch easily by anyone say wearing cuff links. Or has it a very durable protection?
John, I believe it will scratch pretty easily, just like the rest of the wood in the car. Fortunately, it doesn't take too long and a little bit of work to polish scratches out, as long as they are not too deep!

If you keep your hand at the shifter, your cufflinks would need to be quite high on your arm to get to the wood, I think. But maybe not.

Maybe a leather covering is the solution? The R129 SL had something similar on the middle center compartment, although the rear center compartment was covered with a sliding flat padded cover that could cantilever forward so that the armrest was over the middle sliding portion.

-s-
Old 11-02-2004, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
The wrist would be forward, and should clear the wood door part in normal driving/operating positions
Old 11-02-2004, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John, I believe it will scratch pretty easily, just like the rest of the wood in the car. Fortunately, it doesn't take too long and a little bit of work to polish scratches out, as long as they are not too deep!

If you keep your hand at the shifter, your cufflinks would need to be quite high on your arm to get to the wood, I think. But maybe not.
Thanks Scorchie and Barry,
I am not in a position to be able to see one, but was slightly concerned about an 'armrest' having a polished wooden covering.

Regards to you all,
John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Few Changes on new '05's