E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Total electrical power loss while stopped issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total electrical power loss while stopped issue

I will be driving, and while I am stopped, I have had multiple instances of the car losing all electrical power and turning off. It is an '08 E350. This has happened 4-5 times now in a 6 month span. The first few times the car was able to be restarted immediately, but it looked like there was just a total memory loss of the car. The clock started circling around as if it had been reset, and my radio defaulted to playing a CD I had in there (it was on the radio beforehand).

However, this last time the car was totally dead electrically and I was stuck on the road. But I manually opened the trunk, connected a battery jumper to the main battery, and then was able to start the car no problem. The car has been starting and running no problem since then for a day.

My battery is about a year old, and it's able to turn the engine over no problem, so I don't think it's that. It's almost as if something cuts the battery off to the rest of the car? And this last time it didn't reset to providing power again. I'm not sure if there is something that would do that.

EDIT: Some additional info, no check engine lights or anything before or after the power loss. My radio has been randomly turning itself off a bit, but not sure if that is related. It will then turn itself back on after 20 seconds or so.

Last edited by justin218; 04-20-2022 at 04:46 PM.