E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E320 CDI Alternator Pulley Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 E320 CDI
Question E320 CDI Alternator Pulley Replacement

I've also posted on BenzWorld, but this forum seems more technically inclined, so I'll start posting here too!
Here's my BenzWorld thread: https://www.benzworld.org/threads/wi...miles.3051710/
If you skim through the photos, you'll see I've had the fascia off and replaced the front crash beam and headlight bracketry. I'm a very experienced non-professional mechanic

I have a 2005 E320 CDI with ~215k miles. I had the SBC replaced under warranty last fall. The dealership did an inspection and told me that the alternator pulley needed replacement. I snagged a pulley & tool from RockAuto and was expecting to do it myself, but access does not look fun. That's what you get with an inline six packed into an engine bay designed for a V8. The belt drive has started intermittently to squeedle(*) on acceleration, so the time is now.

How does one do this? Is there a "service position" for the front clip? I don't see an obvious set of bolts to remove to disconnect the radiator header panel from the main body structure.
Does the fan somehow lift out easily? I can see a couple of bolts at the top that hold it, but have no idea how I'd even get to bolts at the bottom.

I previously had the belt replaced by a shop, but they did not replace the alternator pulley. I'm not wild about spending two hours of book labor to have the pulley replaced.

(*) Technical term, like "chuggle" for a transmission malfunction
Old 04-26-2022, 03:47 AM

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
2006 E280
I would pull the alternator and change the pulley on the bench, much more convenient than struggle in the engine bay.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 E320 CDI
I don't disagree... but I still have the same question...

How TF do I get to the thing?

I won't be able to get started working on the car until this weekend. It's not clear from looking at it whether removing the front undertray will give me enough access to unbolt and remove the alternator from below... or not. Do I need to remove the airbox and airbox heat shield? I've done that before to access the VNT actuator. I can see that the turbo discharge has a support bracket to one of the alternator mounting bolts, so obvs that has to come off.

Edit: Is there a service position for the front clip that allows me to move the radiator forward? Audis and Minis do that...

Last edited by Will's Fiero; 04-26-2022 at 09:22 AM.