E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
View Poll Results: Do You Like The Redesigned '05 E Center Console?
Yes, I Like It.
17.41%
No, I Don't Like It.
69.15%
Not Sure Yet, Maybe It Will Grow On Me.
13.43%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Do We Like The Redesigned '05 E Center Console?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 Flint Grey/Merlot
I wrote 4 letters to MBUSA complaining about the redesign while waiting to take delivery. I pointedly asked them if they knew of any after market companies who could remedy their mistake. They replied in Corporate double speak but reading between the lines, they seemed at least a little concerned.
I've had the car a week now. If I had a choice between the 2 styles, I am not sure which I would pick.
The old style is more comfy for the ulnar bone. The new one is more visually compelling. The previous console is not bad looking. The current one is not hard on the elbow.
I rarely use cupholders so that is not a consideration. On the new console the phone is easy to access and the storage area is adequate with the cupholders in and downright spacious with the holders removed.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by vitaman
I rarely use cupholders so that is not a consideration. On the new console the phone is easy to access and the storage area is adequate with the cupholders in and downright spacious with the holders removed.
This is an interesting thread when you consider that this console is fitted only to US vehicles?

I wonder who made the decision to replace the standard console.

Why the decision was made?

What is the cost of having two pieces of tooling for producing two different types of 'furniture' for the same vehicle?

I suppose once you get used to the design then it might well become acceptable.

John

A damp, misty afternoon in Torquay
Old 01-22-2005, 02:58 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
On the Edmunds site review of the new E350, first drives, it shows an interior shot of the new E350 that looks like the old console has returned for that model, at least in the sport pkg pictured.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:25 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by sacguy
On the Edmunds site review of the new E350, first drives, it shows an interior shot of the new E350 that looks like the old console has returned for that model, at least in the sport pkg pictured.

I wish it was so but unfortunately that photo is most likely not of an American version. Remember, as far as we know, the new console is only for America.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
It is NOT a US version. The accompanying photos definitely show a Eurpoean License plate.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Originally Posted by glojo
This is an interesting thread when you consider that this console is fitted only to US vehicles?

I wonder who made the decision to replace the standard console.

Why the decision was made?

What is the cost of having two pieces of tooling for producing two different types of 'furniture' for the same vehicle?

I suppose once you get used to the design then it might well become acceptable.

John

A damp, misty afternoon in Torquay

I think that the decision was made for two reasons. First, I don't think that the long term reliability of the current design is very good. The C has the same design, and when using that in a friends car, I can see that it will have to be replaced soon. And mine is also showing signs that eventually it will break. I'm sure the costs assoicated with replacing it adds up after tons of replacements. And, I'm sure that they have recieved countless complaints about it, since it is not really effective.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
The main reason for this change is the cupholders. Mercedes has been berated in JD Power because their supholder deisgn doesn't fit bing enough cups, and too flimsy etc... This is the main reasin for the change, you can fit big cups down there and they are more stable. It is the same reason why you the exposed cupholders in US only CLS's, and the same will be for the M class as well... They want to please the US customers that have to have their big gulps, which will make their JD Power ratings higher.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:58 PM

I too hate the arm rest.
Question:
If you order the MB phone, where does the phone go now?

amgB
Old 01-22-2005, 07:00 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
I hate to say it, but I like big, sturdy cupholders for those lengthy car trips. In my BMW you have to hold the cup in any kind of turn, braking or when accelerating. Not fun. I enjoy listening to the radio/cd, looking out the window and an occasional sip on my large iced tea when I am driving, I guess I am a typical American driver.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by alewifebp
I think that the decision was made for two reasons. First, I don't think that the long term reliability of the current design is very good. The C has the same design, and when using that in a friends car, I can see that it will have to be replaced soon. And mine is also showing signs that eventually it will break. I'm sure the costs assoicated with replacing it adds up after tons of replacements. And, I'm sure that they have recieved countless complaints about it, since it is not really effective.
I have been a member of this forum for quite a while and cannot recollect a single complaint about quality, or reliabilty of the centre armrest. The US might be the biggest, single importer of this excellent vehicle, but the rest of the World, still have the original armrest, so cost cannot be the reason.

I would be grateful if you could point me towards the countless complaints regarding the 'quality'.

I personally am inclined to go with everyone else that has posted and say that it is solely a 'cup holder' issue. Again the US is perhaps the only country that has cup holders as a standard fitting?? (I will stand to be corrected on this point)

Regards,
John
A sunny, windy, cold morning in Torquay
Old 01-23-2005, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by AMGB
I too hate the arm rest.
Question:
If you order the MB phone, where does the phone go now?

amgB
The phone goes against the back wall next to the TeleAid switches. Not a particularly good place if you want to either remove the phone often or to look at it to see just what the phone is doing when your buggy Motorola V600 doesn't seem to sync with the COMAND.

-s-
Old 01-23-2005, 10:39 AM

E55 Flint Grey/Merlot
My "buggy" V600 must have been fitted with the Deet version of the quad band GSM. So far it has worked perfectly.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:02 PM

Mercedes all the way!
looks pretty bad really. i mean, this really seems like a step back to "old-style" design, even if the quality might be high. i actually saw the exact same thing on a facelifted C Sportcoupe yesterday -- is this the direction Mercedes is going? The old leather top seemed to blend much better, and was a joy to rest my hands on -- even though it's damn hard to clean on my car (beige! :p ) i've in fact never ever used a cupholder on a car before in all my years of driving -- but in all honesty, the split level centre console isn't THAT practical either -- i always have trouble remembering whether i'm opening the top or bottom compartment.
well anyway, it's a non-issue as i'm so far from the US i might as well be on the other side of the planet. oh wait, i am!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Yes, I was describing simply the cupholder portion of the equation. The actual arm rest and storage area is of good quality, and it more or less follows the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid). Now, the cupholder itself is really quite a complicated piece of equipment, and is inadequate.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by vitaman
My "buggy" V600 must have been fitted with the Deet version of the quad band GSM. So far it has worked perfectly.
Nah, you probably just don't do anything that causes you to encounter problems! I wish that were true of more people... but unfortunately it's not. Something that works great for one person doesn't necessarily typify how we should view the product.

But I am glad it works for you!

-s-
Old 01-25-2005, 09:06 PM

I have 1000 miles on a 2005 320 CDI with the new console and it is not that bad. Whats the differance between resting your arm on the hard plastic console or the little harder wood console. Plus you dont have to deal with the flimsy cupholder of the older models that looked worse when they were open. I will however say that the extra storage in the older console is nice but now I dont have as much clutter and my drink is always secure. My Dad has a 2005 CDI also with the old console so I am very famialar with both. Either one is fine but the new console is not that bad, I might actually prefer it.

Last edited by Dr. Ferdinand; 01-25-2005 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
I have 1000 miles on a 2005 320 CDI with the new console and it is not that bad. Whats the differance between resting your arm on the hard plastic console or the little harder wood console. Plus you dont have to deal with the flimsy cupholder of the older models that looked worse when they were open. I will however say that the extra storage in the older console is nice but now I dont have as much clutter and my drink is always secure. My Dad has a 2005 CDI also with the old console so I am very famialar with both. Either one is fine but the new console is not that bad, I might actually prefer it.
Wow, we're practically related. I have 898 miles on my 05 E320 CDI and I will tell you the difference. The new tambour door console has a pronounced slope downward toward the shifter lever. The butterfly console was essentially flat and provided a decent "shelf" upon which to rest one's arm.

It just so happens I have tennis elbow (probably from applying Zaino or something) right now, and the armrest is all but useless. I detest it.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
I feel confused here, we have a 05 E320 with the armrest, not the sliding rest. Did we get jipped into an 04 1/2 or do we have an 05.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:49 PM

Nah, you did get jipped. Most people would feel you got the better deal with the older style console. To me its 6 and 1/2 dozen, if I were to get picky the worst thing with the E class is the chincy tweeter covers that just snap into place, and the plastic does not even match.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:53 PM

pa28pilot,
I will give you that I never really noticed the angles but you right. I still however like the new console, as I mentioned in my previous post the flippin tweeter covers are what really irk me, they look like they were added at the last minut.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:37 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
In for service this week and saw the CLS in the showroom. MB has gone back to the more conventional (one piece) console in front and added the rolltop wood version between the rear seats. Maybe they are listening after all?