E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
View Poll Results: Do You Like The Redesigned '05 E Center Console?
Yes, I Like It.
17.41%
No, I Don't Like It.
69.15%
Not Sure Yet, Maybe It Will Grow On Me.
13.43%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Do We Like The Redesigned '05 E Center Console?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Has there been anyone who has been really impressed with this new centre arm rest?

Is it on ALL new 211's Worldwide, are is it some form of punishment? Surely America must be the largest customer for this model?

It is certainly upsetting a few potential customers on this forum.

Regards,
John
A sunny afternoon in Torquay (off for some physiotherapy)
Old 10-13-2004, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I've got the Sirius trunk mount install. Its smaller than a pack of cigarettes, and while if it were body color, it would be nicer. Its ok. No uglier than the shark fin antennas on the roofs of some other imports. After a week, I don't see it anymore. I'm sure people who look at the car do, but I don't. Satellite radio is worth it.

No one seems to have the definitive answere as to whether I can have my body shop paint it to match without losing any signal strength, so black it stays.

As far as the old style console's cup holders go:
1. You have to have your arm on the armrest with a cup in the swing out cup holder so you can hold the cup from tipping over. You just can't trust them.
2. With a cup in the upper cup holder you wouldnt want to keep your arm up there for fear that your hand might knock the cup out of it.

...so it too is only the perfect armrest when it is all buttoned up.

No matter what. There is NOTHING like a Benz. There is simply no substitute, only alternates.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 10-13-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I often wonder if someone shouldn't send an e mail to MBUSA telling them to at least look into this site from time to time. They may not even know about it. I found it after searching for weeks on various search engines for one like it, & registered on a couple of others before finding this one. This is the most vibrant alive MB Forum I have seen yet, & I hardly go anywhere else anymore.

Good morning,

I agree Barry, let's make ourselves heard!!! After all, we are the power behind Mercedes-Benz' success as paying and interested customers. However, the interest in and willingness to pay for a Mercedes is only there as long as it lives up to its expectation and manufacturer endorsed standard of exceeding the competition in comfort, luxury, quality and reliability while offering decent handling and good performance. Personally I love the handling, comfort, and performance of my E500 and, as opposed to many other people here, have not had any major quality or reliability issues. However, it should be in Mercedes' interest to find an amicable solution to satisfy each and every potential customer. In the case of this console, it shouldn't be hard to offer a choice between the new and old arm rest, especially since the old one is still used in Eurospec models. C'mon Mercedes, deleting an active charcoal filter and then saying well it still has recirculation or deleting puddle lights is far worse than discontinuing a color or wheel design imho. But, as I said earlier, my salesman said that no one ist noticing or complaining about this. I guess it is up to the activists here to get things rolling. I talked to a friend wo owns a Lexus and a previous Mercedes SLK and, while he is satisfied with the car, he says the difference between Mercedes and Lexus is the customer service. He said "At Mercedes, the service area is overcrowded, there is no room to relax, and you are treated more like a number, in and out. At Lexus they take their time to make sure you are happy, in other words, they make you feel good". While I do not have major complaints to make about my dealership, I know a lot of you guys out there have. So, let's change the fact that Mercedes is unaware of this forum and thus our problems. We have the power!

Have a great day.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be writing a letter (snail mail - most effective) to the MBUSA Vice President in charge of Customer Service (see address below) to voice my complaints. Specifically, I ordered a car based on how MBUSA presented it. Upon delivery, the REST feature was omitted and the effectiveness of the center console changed dramatically. Other features that I had come to look forward to while shopping for the car earlier in the year, such as Puddle Lamps and Charcoal Filter, were no longer included in the model I ordered.

Then, I will discuss the VCS option fiasco. At the time of my ordered, MBUSA offered this option for $1450, which was $500 less than the same option for the 2004 model. However, the phone and cradle is not included in the 2005 price as it was in 2004. Of course, reasonably, one may conclude that the price of the phone and cradle when added to the $1450 would likely total around $2050 or so. This rational assumption is based on a few things:

1. MBUSA charged $600 for an additional phone in 2004 (v60 - CDMA)
2. $2050 is 5% greater than $1950, which even exceeds MBUSA's average annual price increase of 2.5%
3. Evolving mobile phone technology has contributed towards declining mobile phone prices

Although MBUSA offered the VCS option at $1450, there was no price set for the phone and the cradle, which were not to be available until a later date. Therefore, a responsible consumer was only left with his own rational assumption as to what the prices for those items were likely to be. I feel that my assumption was reasonable. However, now that MBUSA has released the price, after delivery of my car, the total price for the VCS option is now 37% higher ($2673) than that of the same option for 2004! THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE! If I had known this at the time of my order, I would not have ordered that option. Who would have? It is not reasonable.

Paul Halata
MBUSA Customer Assistance Center
3 Paragon Drive
Montvale, NJ 07645

Last edited by Baby Jocko; 10-13-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:48 PM

Letter to MB

Go for it, Baby Jocko. I am with you all the way! Please mention this forum in your letter as a proof that it is not only you who feels this way and that it is a forum not for nagging, but where MB enthusiasts voice their constructive criticism.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Baby Jocko
I will be writing a letter (snail mail - most effective) to the MBUSA Vice President in charge of Customer Service (see address below) to voice my complaints. Specifically, I ordered a car based on how MBUSA presented it. Upon delivery, the REST feature was omitted and the effectiveness of the center console changed dramatically. Other features that I had come to look forward to while shopping for the car earlier in the year, such as Puddle Lamps and Charcoal Filter, were no longer included in the model I ordered.

Then, I will discuss the VCS option fiasco. At the time of my ordered, MBUSA offered this option for $1450, which was $500 less than the same option for the 2004 model. However, the phone and cradle is not included in the 2005 price as it was in 2004. Of course, reasonably, one may conclude that the price of the phone and cradle when added to the $1450 would likely total around $2050 or so. This rational assumption is based on a few things:

1. MBUSA charged $600 for an additional phone in 2004 (v60 - CDMA)
2. $2050 is 5% greater than $1950, which even exceeds MBUSA's average annual price increase of 2.5%
3. Evolving mobile phone technology has contributed towards declining mobile phone prices

Although MBUSA offered the VCS option at $1450, there was no price set for the phone and the cradle, which were not to be available until a later date. Therefore, a responsible consumer was only left with his own rational assumption as to what the prices for those items were likely to be. I feel that my assumption was reasonable. However, now that MBUSA has released the price, after delivery of my car, the total price for the VCS option is now 37% higher ($2673) than that of the same option for 2004! THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE! If I had known this at the time of my order, I would not have ordered that option. Who would have? It is not reasonable.

Paul Halata
MBUSA Customer Assistance Center
3 Paragon Drive
Montvale, NJ 07645
(1) Halata is not a VP nor does he have hands-on for customer service. You’ll just get a generalized double talk reply from one of the very many reps hired to do just that.

(2) Most if not all MBUSA materials contain “MBUSA reserves the right to make changes at any time”. That said, if the dealer makes an oral or written promise to an individual buyer regarding features which would be included on the vehicle that buyer is purchasing and then the vehicle provided does not have these features, then that is a breach of contract. Since new automobiles are almost always sold with written contracts, it is up to the buyer to see to it that the written agreements include the promise for the desired features. If the buyer signed a purchase agreement without such a promise, then there is no breach of contract. The advertising is irrelevant. This is why 03 buyers were unsuccessful regarding MBUSA inability to retrofit the navigation, and the absence of 4-piston calipers for the front brakes in the e320.

(3) VCS price increase – check your Private Messages before sending your inquiry.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:25 PM

konigstiger,

(1) I was told by several sources that Halata is a VP and is head of MBUSA Customer Service. If he is not the person I should direct my complaint to, then please tell me who is.

(2) Yes, it is written that “MBUSA reserves the right to make changes at any time”. However, in the case of the REST feature, for example, that is NOT a "change." That is an omission. I would think a court of law would differentiate between the two. Beyond the issue of legality, it is, without a doubt, unethical for MBUSA to present and then deliver their products in this manner. I would think that the executives of MBUSA would care to know that they have disappointed and dissatisfied customers.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Baby Jocko
I would think that the executives of MBUSA would care to know that they have disappointed and dissatisfied customers.
Let’s be realistic. They know, but why should they care?

Mercedes-Benz posts record sales in the U.S. in September
Sales of Mercedes-Benz vehicles in the U.S. were up once again in September, rising by a good one percent to 17,400 units. As a result, a total of 157,600 vehicles (2003: 159,400) have been delivered to customers since the beginning of the year. Sales of the E-Class (41,400 passenger cars, up by six percent), the C-Class sedan (42,800 passenger cars, up by ten percent), the CLK-Class (16,900 passenger cars, up by 19 percent) and the SL-Class (9,800 passenger cars, up by eleven percent) remain at a record level and contribute substantially to Mercedes Benz’ sales success in the United States.

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom...-0-0-0,00.html
Old 10-13-2004, 10:47 PM

E200 Kompressor (sold 2008), BMW 7 series (2009), now waiting for the E63
G'day, glojo

Hope the physiotherapy's done a decent job on the part(s) of your anatomy requiring some TLC

Yes, of course wifey and I are excited about the delivery of the E200. The PDI (according to the sales agents, whom I've now learnt not to trust any further than I could throw them) went without a hitch - everything's simply "perfect".

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, or so they say - and I guess we'll find out in 4 days' time! We're just awaiting some minor additions - tinting of the windows (that'll be done in house, and according to the strict LTA (land transport authority) regulations here in Singapore), and parking sensors ... and in FOUR DAYS' TIME *drool*.

Yes, I'm a happy fellow

Last edited by wobbles; 10-14-2004 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
We're all waiting with you. I hope it all goes well and I am sure you will be so happy with the car when it arrives. Every day I drive mine it puts a smile on my face.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
If Acura can do it, why couldn’t MB? Center console design utilizes full armrest with split doors and adequate cup holders. Granted copied from original MB design to begin with and not as good looking - nonetheless Acura improved the inadequate MB cup holders without loosing the (IMO) comfortable armrest.

http://www2.autospies.com/article/in...articleId=3488

Last edited by konigstiger; 03-09-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I have always thought that. The cupholders in my Lexus worked very well, and it was a very simple design. Didn't have to worry about it breaking in the future. I can already tell that the pop up design is probably going to need a replacement at some time in the future.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 G63 ; 981 boxster GTS
changing my vote. again!

Originally Posted by jago1244
i too, am thisclose to locking down an '05 e500 4m spec'd to over 70k MSRP, that i spent some time hunting down, but i might not pull trigger after sitting in example w/new console. even if you accept this uncomfortable contraption as an 'armrest', it would be impossible to use as an armrest if you actually put a cup IN the cupholder. unless you wanted to leave your open cup (no grandes) in the closed drawer. you then can open drawer, remove cup, drink, replace cup, close drawer, place arm back on so-called armrest, and wait for ambulance as you are now wrapped around large tree. i'll take the i-drive over that i think.

hearing about charcoal filter downgrade ticks me off too. and maybe off-topic, i saw another unfortunate example with the sirius antenna drilled into trunk. wait till client sees that on his fresh delivery. are they freakin kidding??!!! its as big as fist. and sits unpainted smack on the trunk.

j.

ok, i bought the car and had it a week now.
the console is........drum roll please........
not bad!
looks pretty slick with appear wood, and is actually comfortable when closed and used as armrest. 'tambour' drawer is strong i think. its not about to fall apart. also has nice-quality stitched leather surrounding the console, which if i recall is an upgrade from
it is a bit awkward to use cupholders, but frankly i dont do it too often.

this is not enough of an issue to cancel a purchase.

rest of car is great.
other issues i had commented on:

got the sirius with a better antenna, from the dealer. smaller, and lays on the rear deck , INSIDE the car.

re the charcoal filter, was told it was incorporated into recirc function automatically goes on (?)

j.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:20 AM

I hate it which makes me very happy since I have the 04. I always get sad when there are new things added to newer models that I wish to have but in this case I can definitely say that I like mine way better!
Old 10-30-2004, 01:18 PM

'06 SL65
Originally Posted by alewifebp
I can already tell that the pop up design is probably going to need a replacement at some time in the future.
True....the design is the same as our '01 E320 4matic and now the door doesn't close all the time and when you fold the cupholder back in, it pops back up. Our '02 S500 is a better and simpler design and it holds the cups much more secure.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
new center console

I have a 2005 e320 4 matic with the new center console.does anyone know if i can change the new console with the old butterfly console? I tried the dealer and no luck.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by craig309
I have a 2005 e320 4 matic with the new center console.does anyone know if i can change the new console with the old butterfly console? I tried the dealer and no luck.
For more on this saga, check out this thread.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by craig309
Where in the world are you located?

-s-
Old 11-03-2004, 03:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
Im located in New Jersey
Old 01-19-2005, 02:51 AM

1999 G500, 2015 ML250d
Center console

I think it looks nice..reminds me of a W124 console. Agreed its less practical and won't hold that much stuff.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:27 AM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
Its actually not bad in person, especially with the charcoal and birdseye maple.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Granite230K
I think it looks nice..reminds me of a W124 console. Agreed its less practical and won't hold that much stuff.
Hmm, that's weird. It's the exact same height as the old one, the top is much thinner, and it doesn't have the second layer for the phone. So it seems like it would hold more?

-s-
Old 01-19-2005, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Gawd yes, finally!! Real cupholders!!!! Sure as hell beats these!!

EDJ
Old 01-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500 Silver/Charcoal
console

like the cupholders,but its not comfortable with my elbow on it..
Old 01-21-2005, 05:30 PM

2003 E320
I prefer the old look. I don't use cup holders, so they redesigned the console for somebody else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do We Like The Redesigned '05 E Center Console?