E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

i-Pod Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 CLK 350 Coupe, '03 E500 Sport;'02 E320 4Matic; ,08 Jaguar XJ; 10 E350 '65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT
i-Pod Install

Someone suggested that I could hook up an i-Pod to the AUX on the stereo. I've got a 2003 with the H-K unit.

Does anyone know how to hook it up? Where would I plug it in? What connectors do I use?
Old 10-02-2004, 10:34 PM

2003 E-500
The easy way is to get a mini plug to mini plug cable and just connect it to the AUX jack in the upper center of the glove comparment. However, you can also buy the nifty "Griffin iTrip" adapter for New ipod from any Apple store for $35 and send the iPod signal direct to a non used FM station. It is preset to 87.9 which is not used many places and also works great in your home FM radios, stereos or intercom systems. You can also set it to work with any other FM frequency if interference occurs on 87.9. We now use our iPod to play music throughout our house using this device. Apple has a real winner with their iPod sytem. One advantage to the FM transmitter is that you can get higher volume from your MB radio than with the AUX jack input. By the way, I assume you would know you have to select AUX if you use the mini plug approach. If you use the iPod FM transmitter, you then would select FM. A tip: Buy the Griffin FM adapter and not the other iPod after market FM adapters out there. If you're worried about battery life, for $20 you can also get a lighter DC input to keep your iPod charged. Our iPod is now our primary source for music at home, in our cars and on our boat.

A third approach if you have a cassete player in your car (no longer avaiable with the COMAND console in MB's) is to buy the $20 Monster iCarPlay Cassette adaper froman Apple store and play music through your cassette player input. The fidelity with this approach is superior to the FM system discussed earlier. We use this in our Denali SUV instead of the FM input. ENJOY your iPod with your MB or other sound systems. I bought my iPod primarily to download digital photos from memory cards while on trips and now wonder how I got along without it before. I have the 40Mb new version and am nearing capacity with it. You can use it as an extra hard drive for back up of any type files in addition to using it for sound.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Only the 2003 models with Nav have the adapter. In 2004 all models had it.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:20 PM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Brand name of cord needed for iPod/AUX connection?

Originally Posted by Double Eagle
The easy way is to get a mini plug to mini plug cable and just connect it to the AUX jack in the upper center of the glove comparment. However, you can also buy the nifty "Griffin iTrip" adapter for New ipod from any Apple store for $35 and send the iPod signal direct to a non used FM station. It is preset to 87.9 which is not used many places and also works great in your home FM radios, stereos or intercom systems. You can also set it to work with any other FM frequency if interference occurs on 87.9.
Just searched the dozen or so threads on iPods ... does anyone have brand name of the plug that goes from the iPod to the AUX input in the glove compartment?

I want to be certain what I get will fit. Thanks.

Last edited by topspin4hand; 12-19-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Hey Double Eagle,

Is that the standard 40gig iPod or the 40gig Photo-pod?

If it is the standard 40gig iPod, how do you d/l photos from your camera's memory card to it? I'd be very interested in doing this.

I see you're local. My 03 E500 and I go into San Clemente from D.P., past Beach Rd., at least weekly (barber near DelMar)!

EDJ
Old 12-19-2004, 04:39 PM

2003 E-500
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe
Hey Double Eagle,

Is that the standard 40gig iPod or the 40gig Photo-pod?

If it is the standard 40gig iPod, how do you d/l photos from your camera's memory card to it? I'd be very interested in doing this.

I see you're local. My 03 E500 and I go into San Clemente from D.P., past Beach Rd., at least weekly (barber near DelMar)!

EDJ
Hi El Diablo Joe,

Mine is a standard 40Gb iPod that I got before the photo pod came out. One of the main reasons I got it was to use it for storing photos from my 1Gb memory cards we use with our Canon and Pentax digital cameras. My wife is a wildlife artist and we took a lot of photos on a trip to Alaska in August, and I didn't want to drag along a laptop for the downloads or buy more cards. To do this you need to buy the Belkin Media Reader. It serves as an interface between your iPod and the media card. Very easy to use and transfers all digital formats from a single card even if they are mixed (e.g. Jpeg and Raw). You then set up your iPod to be seen as an external hard drive and transfer your photos to your PC. The Apple internet site has excellent details on the Belkin Media Reader and instructions on how to use it with the iPod.

You can also go to the Apple store in the Crystal Court side of the South Coast Plaza and get any of your questions answered by the knowledgeable and very helpful people there as well as try out any of the iPod accessories you may be thinking about buying. I bought mine direct from Apple the first week the new 40 Gb models came out in late July because I didn't know about the Apple Store in South Coast Plaza. I've looked at the Photo iPod's and find the photo size a bit small to be of any use and do not plan to buy one.

Yes, we live in San Clemente on the very top of the street above Trader Joe's and next to the water well field. We've been there over 17 years and love being able to walk to the movie theater, Ralph's, Trader Joes and the other shops there. In fact, we recommended to the Trader Joes manager in the Laguna Hills store about 14 years ago that they consider putting a store in the new Ocean View Plaza which was being built then. They had a meeting the next day and decided to put a new store there instead of on Pico, so we were very happy. Only problem is the parking but that seems to be a problem with most of the TJ's.

Regarding the mini plug to mini plug connector, I don't know of a brand name for it but you can buy them in any Radio Shack, Fry's electronics, or at an Apple store. Pretty standard item.

Since you live in Dana Point, you may have seen the Boat Parade last night. We watched it from a boat side tied on island side of N dock in the east basin. Pretty good show last night but was very foggy with fewer boats the previous Saturday when we watched in from the Dana Point Yacht Club.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-19-2004, 04:44 PM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
okay. didn't know "mini plug to mini plug" would be specific enough once I'm in the store. I'll try that.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to everyone.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:47 PM

ML63
Where is the aux input on an '05 CL55, to set up an iPod? Thank you.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:45 PM

2003 E-500
Originally Posted by A-Train
Where is the aux input on an '05 CL55, to set up an iPod? Thank you.
I'm not familiar with the CL 55 but check your glove box to see if it has a small female plug in the middle or left side of the glove box. That is where I think it should be if you have one. Also recommend you check your owners manual as it will tell you if you have an AUX imput. If you see AUX in your COMAND display, you probably have one. You could also ask your dealer.

If you don't have an AUX input, you can still use your iPod and get good reception by getting the Griffen iTrip FM adapter. I find that works just as good as the AUX input, and you don't have to have the wire connection. The iTrip will work in any of your other cars, home entertainment systems or whereever you have an FM receiver. I use it on my boat now instead of CD's and it's great! Apple has a real winner with their iPod. Enjoy your favorite music over the holidays with your iPod hook up. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-20-2004, 08:09 PM

ML63
Double Eagle, thanks. I checked the glovebox and nothing there I could see. Owner's manual does not even reference the aux input. I clicked thru comand center console buttons and no "Aux" option appeared. None of the above means there is no aux input direct line capability for the iPod but I am hoping someone knows specifically the answers to the outstanding issues above. Thank you again.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Double Eagle, thanks. I checked the glovebox and nothing there I could see. Owner's manual does not even reference the aux input. I clicked thru comand center console buttons and no "Aux" option appeared. None of the above means there is no aux input direct line capability for the iPod but I am hoping someone knows specifically the answers to the outstanding issues above. Thank you again.
You may get proper answers (or address an audience more knowledgeable about your particular vehicle) by posting in the W215 forums. Then again, you may get a bunch of E-class owners there too offering suggestions that don't apply to your vehicle... nah, that would never happen.

-s-
The following users liked this post:
Bahnstormer (01-05-2017)
Old 12-21-2004, 03:49 PM

ML63
After searching through every nook in the glovebox and finding nothing, I called an MB service person, who said that '05 CL's do not have an aux input anywhere (I do not know about pre-'05). E's and C's do have the aux input and it is in the glovebox.

If anyone is aware of '05 US-spec CL55 info that is different than the above, please let me know b/c it'd be great to do the aux directly if easy, instead of an FM transmitter.

Thanks!

-A-Train
Old 12-21-2004, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
After searching through every nook in the glovebox and finding nothing, I called an MB service person, who said that '05 CL's do not have an aux input anywhere (I do not know about pre-'05). E's and C's do have the aux input and it is in the glovebox.

If anyone is aware of '05 US-spec CL55 info that is different than the above, please let me know b/c it'd be great to do the aux directly if easy, instead of an FM transmitter.

Thanks!

-A-Train
Thanks, I was wondering about that...

-s-
Old 12-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Woohoo! Finally got my new 20Gb iPod delivered today.

So any suggestions as to how to use this thing?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:50 PM

2005 MB E320 4matic
I have an 05 E320 and I would like to know if I can use any other device besides the ipod in my auxiliary port to play music?