E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

did I damaged my car or am I still safe 🤔😕

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 01:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 mercedes e500
did I damaged my car or am I still safe 🤔😕

I have a 2003 mercedes e500 that I didn't drive for awhile today i took it for a test drive, While I was driving I noticed rubbing noise coming from the rear, so in order to determine what is the noise and where it's coming from I needed to be out of the vehicle watching and listening to the rear tires while they spinning, so I had lifted the rear end off the ground while the front end on ground, I had turned it on and put it in gears by the time I got out and reached the back of the car, I saw only the left side wheel turning constantly, While the right-hand wheel rotates slowly and intermittently, like a clockwise rotation, the question here is this normal or I just damaged my car? I usually don't do this unless I lift it from all sides, but this time I forgot, so now I'm obsessed that this might have caused damage to the differential or the axles. I would be grateful to anyone who has knowledge of this and has responded
Old 06-29-2022, 09:53 AM

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
2006 E280
Sounds like normal behaviour for the open rear diff. With LSD or locker they'd be turning at the same rate.

Last edited by Heguli; 06-30-2022 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:38 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Arrow

Originally Posted by Obaid1999
I have a 2003 mercedes e500 that I didn't drive for awhile today i took it for a test drive, While I was driving I noticed rubbing noise coming from the rear, so in order to determine what is the noise and where it's coming from I needed to be out of the vehicle watching and listening to the rear tires while they spinning, so I had lifted the rear end off the ground while the front end on ground, I had turned it on and put it in gears by the time I got out and reached the back of the car, I saw only the left side wheel turning constantly, While the right-hand wheel rotates slowly and intermittently, like a clockwise rotation, the question here is this normal or I just damaged my car? I usually don't do this unless I lift it from all sides, but this time I forgot, so now I'm obsessed that this might have caused damage to the differential or the axles. I would be grateful to anyone who has knowledge of this and has responded
yes this is normal behavior for a non-locking differential as Heguli stated. Likely brakes, maybe parking shoes rubbing.

Old 06-30-2022, 02:16 AM

2003 mercedes e500
oh yeah The nightmare is gone😀

thanks to you both, Heguli and Super Member, You guys have calmed my brain, I've never knew about open differential and locking differential before, I was just comparing it to my second vehicle which is toyota camry front wheel drive that when I lift the front, Both wheels rotate evenly

Last edited by Obaid1999; 06-30-2022 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Changing the title
Old 06-30-2022, 09:03 PM

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Rubbing noise could be from the brakes. They might be seized or stuck after a long period of not being used. A few firm brake presses while driving may help. But if the sound is very bad or you see smoke coming from the brakes, then I would recommend a brake job.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:07 AM

2005 E500 Base/RWD w/o 4matic
Hey if you read the manual braking section I think you'll have a couple options, I even read you can firmly push the brakes while at a higher speed(says make sure no car is behind you) to give your brakes a better grip, and even recommends pushing the brake firmly before parking to help the brakes, and also mentions the ((P)) is a parking brake and should be used when you PARK the car , so I gained a lot of insight, I found a manual online I have saved if you need the link, I'm in an 05 E500 but you can click the year and model to get a different manual https://www.carmanualsonline.info/me...r-s-manual/1#6