E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Contact-switched fuse in driver's side dash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 S211
Contact-switched fuse in driver's side dash?

To clear up some loose cables, I pulled a 12V wire from the driver's side in-dash fuse box to the passenger footwell, where I placed a 12->5V transformer and USB hub to power my phone charger, dashcam and a bluetooth module plugged into the aux-in in the glove box.
I plugged in the 12V wire in the driver's side fuse box using a fuse tap. I thought it's a nice clean install:

However, I noticed that sometimes, my phone has a BT connection while the car is sitting parked next to my home. So apparently, the circuit whose fuse I piggybacked onto, is sometimes energized.
That is currently fuse 23: passenger seat adjustment control unit. (Check here for an overview of fuses).
It happens once every half hour to hour, for different durations (sometimes a minute, sometimes 5).
While a dashcam and BT module don't take that much power, I imagine this can/will cause problems if the car would stand for a week or 2.

So, before I start checking other fuses - is there someone who knows of a circuit in this fusebox that is only energized by inserting the key into the contact?
If I search I find that many people hook their dashcams up to the cigarette lighter, but I didn't find any conclusive posts about whether there exists a key-switched circuit in the in-dash fuse box or not, and since I have this wire already, it would be much easier to just switch to a different fuse
Thanks!