Should OEM rims do this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E3200
Angry Should OEM rims do this?

I recently purchased a starmarked preowned 03 E320 and after just over two months of driving and some car washes I have just noticed that my rims appear to have been painted as I've noticed that the areas around the lug nut holes and around the rim are starting to peel!!! I've seen this kind of wear on remanufactured/reconditioned rims but when I questioned the Sales Manager about it, he claimed that he had seen this before and the cause was that there was some improper wheel cleaner applied to the rims.

I can't swallow what he's said as my previous C-Class was washed many times obviously and I saw none of the wearing on the rims that I'm noticing now. I strongle suspect that they sold me a car with reconditioned rims and so I've been demanding new factory OEM rims...am I out of line to be demanding this? After all, I purchased a starmarked vehicle from the dealership to avoid situations such as this one. Please advise.

For this reason, I had not yet submitted the MB Survey as I wanted to drive the car for 3 months before submitting just in case something like this happened. Not sure what else I can do...I believe that I might have a case against the dealership. I just want what's fair. TIA.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by highbp4me
I recently purchased a starmarked preowned 03 E320 and after just over two months of driving and some car washes I have just noticed that my rims appear to have been painted as I've noticed that the areas around the lug nut holes and around the rim are starting to peel!!! I've seen this kind of wear on remanufactured/reconditioned rims but when I questioned the Sales Manager about it, he claimed that he had seen this before and the cause was that there was some improper wheel cleaner applied to the rims.

I can't swallow what he's said as my previous C-Class was washed many times obviously and I saw none of the wearing on the rims that I'm noticing now. I strongle suspect that they sold me a car with reconditioned rims and so I've been demanding new factory OEM rims...am I out of line to be demanding this? After all, I purchased a starmarked vehicle from the dealership to avoid situations such as this one. Please advise.

For this reason, I had not yet submitted the MB Survey as I wanted to drive the car for 3 months before submitting just in case something like this happened. Not sure what else I can do...I believe that I might have a case against the dealership. I just want what's fair. TIA.
Yes, it is possible for some wheel cleaners (used in an improper application) to cause the clearcoat on the wheels to peel. I had this happen to mine (not reconditioned) when the wheels were cleaned at a car wash. What I learned is never have the wheel cleaner applied at a car wash... (well actually I learned to never go to a car wash).

Also just because you've gone to that car wash before doesn't mean they didn't change their formula.

-s-
Old 10-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 E3200
okay....

Thanks scorchie...I just wanted to be sure that the dealer had not sold me reconditioned rims...I just didn't want to be cheated. Now I did notice the damage after I had my door worked on at a body shop and they had cleaned my wheels....I wonder if there's anything I could do about that? I should mention this to them so they don't do further damage to my wheels as I have to take the vehicle to them again in a couple of days as they need to do some additional work.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by scorchie
Yes, it is possible for some wheel cleaners (used in an improper application) to cause the clearcoat on the wheels to peel. I had this happen to mine (not reconditioned) when the wheels were cleaned at a car wash.
Is it possible to have the wheels 'cleaned' and a new clearcoat applied.

Now that there is perhaps 'doubt' over who is responsible this might be the cheapest option if it is possible.

Good luck,
John
A very windswept morning in Torquay
Old 10-10-2004, 07:36 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
Thumbs up

I have an early '03, prod'n 9/02, and two months ago I noticed some discoloration around the center cap and lug nuts of 2 wheels. I mentioned it to the dealer (just asked what it was, and which day of the week does their wheel repair man stop by?--no demands--I expected I'd be paying the wheel man to do a repaint). The service advisor has someone look, and they replace all 4 wheels! 18000 miles on the car, nearly 2 years old. I have only used Meguiars Gold Class on the wheels, no damage, no wheel cleaner, no car washes. The advisor suspected there had been too much clear coat applied, based upon their experience. FWIW
Old 10-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 E3200
Jim, thanks for the info. I've already left a message with the Sales Manager at the Dealership (no expletives...but stern) asking for a call back to discuss the matter further to see what can be done. My fear about reapplying the clearcoat would be what would happen during the harsh winter months with the salt/sand that is harsh on the car in general...especially the wheels....that's my concern...will I need to continuosly refinish the wheels? TIA.