E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How do you get to the hidden oil level menu?

Old 10-13-2004, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There must be some kind of time-out period. I got it to work once, but have not been able to repeat it. I'll try it again in 20 minutes or so.

But, it is neat. There are various screens (VIN, Dynometer Test, etc.). How does the Service Data screen work?

-------
Update:
OK, I've got it to work again, but now it only comes up if I press the reset 3 times while the MPH screen shows, not the Temp.

Last edited by Baby Jocko; 10-13-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SLK
Ok, i got it to work. With Key in 1st position. Press trip button 3 times. then turn key to positoin 2, then press up arrow.

Mine indicated 7.1 quarts

John
Old 10-15-2004, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
SH*T!!!!!

I was messing around in the menus.. if you go furthur, you find servicing menus and some other stuff. It wouldnt let me in. but then I held down the "menu cycle button" (bottom left of steering wheel) and it confirmed some type of service performed on my car!! so be carefull, I'm not sure what I did. I never knew holding down a menu button would do anything, as its not necessary in the normal mode of the car. Guess its that way for a reason. *Sigh* I hope I didnt put it in self-destruct mode or something...

I did get to the oil level screen, where it showed some other info, but the level read " --.--" Maybe it has to be warmed up. Also, screens showed me the VIN, got to the Dynomo-meter (choice of off or on). and then the Service Screen. once you get in the service screen, you cant get out unless you cycle back thru menus or do what i did which was hold down the button, but it messed something up.

Last edited by Brav; 10-15-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:26 PM

I try the procedure several times and first it doesn't work. Now i know why: Press the reset button 3 times - VERY QUICKLY.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here are some crappy cam phone pics. there were probably 40 different menus in the svc screen, i didnt have the time to go thru them all. you cant really see, but on the small bar display that normally has gear indicator etc, is now a screen to show you different menu options.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by KevinR
I try the procedure several times and first it doesn't work. Now i know why: Press the reset button 3 times - VERY QUICKLY.
That's it!! I've been trying for quite a while and three quick pops to the button does it. BTW, my car has 5,000 miles on it with most of it on one 4,600 mile trip. The remaining oil is 7.6 quarts. I assume that it's used .9 quarts of oil since new.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500 Sport, Pewter/Charcoal
Has anyone with a car built prior to 2003 been able to get to the hidden menus? Here's what I'm doing:

1. Turn key to position 1.

2. Press up arrow once to get to outside temp display.

3. Push reset button three times very quickly. (I don't hear a beep.)

4. Turn key to position 2.

5. Press up arrow once.

When I go through this procedure, all I get is a display saying that I need Service D in 725 miles.

Am I doing this correctly? This is getting frustrating.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
If you don't hear a beep after you press reset, it won't work.

I kept trying and when I finally pressed reset more quickly, I got the beep and things worked.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:31 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Anyone know what the DYNO mode is for?
Old 10-15-2004, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by atssystems.com
Why dont you test it out?? I might later. Maybe it activates the flux capacitor..
Old 10-16-2004, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
As I am sure most of you know, when you press the "ESP" button that supposedly turns off the "Traction Control" of the car. However, MB decided that most consumers dont drive well enough to have the "ESP" completely turned off. Even when you press the button, if you are driving on the edge and the computer senses that you are going out of control it will still take over to prevent loss of control even though you tried to turn off "ESP".
But when MB is doing tests on the car including Dyno testing it is necessary to completely turn off "ESP" for the tests to be accurate. So when you get that deep into the service menu and turn off "ESP" in Dyno mode you will have completely turned off "ESP" or "Traction Control". Also be aware that you will be turning off the "ABS" as well. The car will drive normal but there will be no computer to save your butt if you get out of control.
I hope this explaines it ok......
Old 10-16-2004, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by spyderbret
As I am sure most of you know, when you press the "ESP" button that supposedly turns off the "Traction Control" of the car. However, MB decided that most consumers dont drive well enough to have the "ESP" completely turned off. Even when you press the button, if you are driving on the edge and the computer senses that you are going out of control it will still take over to prevent loss of control even though you tried to turn off "ESP".
But when MB is doing tests on the car including Dyno testing it is necessary to completely turn off "ESP" for the tests to be accurate. So when you get that deep into the service menu and turn off "ESP" in Dyno mode you will have completely turned off "ESP" or "Traction Control". Also be aware that you will be turning off the "ABS" as well. The car will drive normal but there will be no computer to save your butt if you get out of control.
I hope this explaines it ok......

Thanks for your explaination, I wont mess around with it then.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:50 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Just as mentioned above.. Here is something from Car and Driver:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turn It Off—All the Way Off!

For years we've complained about the butt-in behavior of the electronic stability programs in Mercedes-Benzes, which automatically intervene to shut down power and braking when they think your driving needs help. A dashboard switch suggests the program can be turned off, but it can't—it just kicks in at what it sees as a more intemperate level of driving on your part. We were convinced it simply could not be shut off.

Well, Benz lovers, we found a way.

Here's how. To start, turn the ignition key to the first accessory position, making sure the dash display shows the odometer. The SRS airbag light should be on. Press the trip odometer reset button three times rapidly before it goes off. If you do this right, a screen will appear showing a voltmeter. Then press the "up" arrow on the left side of the wheel twice to take you to the "ESP dynamometer test" screen. Using the plus (+) button on the right side of the wheel, select "on." And then start the car. Warnings will appear informing you that the ESP, ABS, and BAS (brake assist) aids are now turned off and you're on your own.

If you did it right, you've put the car in a mode intended for diagnostic testing on a rolling dynamometer—all electronic supervision is unplugged. Unhindered by techno-aids, the SLK's grip on the skidpad improved by 0.03 g compared with simply hitting the ESP switch on the dash. To return all the safety technology, scroll back to the dyno test screen and select "w/t. 15 off" with the minus (-) button. Shutting off all the electronic aids isn't easy, and that should tell you something. Owners are not generally privy to the dynamometer mode; therefore, we will continue to publish test numbers attained with the dashboard ESP switch turned off. We just thought you'd want to know.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by DaveFr
Has anyone with a car built prior to 2003 been able to get to the hidden menus? Here's what I'm doing:

1. Turn key to position 1.

2. Press up arrow once to get to outside temp display.

3. Push reset button three times very quickly. (I don't hear a beep.)

4. Turn key to position 2.

5. Press up arrow once.

When I go through this procedure, all I get is a display saying that I need Service D in 725 miles.

Am I doing this correctly? This is getting frustrating.
Work instructions states three different procedures, DEPENDING ON WHAT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER YOU HAVE (which can also depend on which car you have). The instructions only vary by one step:

1) press reset 3 times within 2.5 seconds

2) press reset 3 times within 1.5 seconds

3) press and hold reset for 20-30 seconds (until beep)

It turns out that not all Mercedes have this.

-s-
Old 10-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500 Sport, Pewter/Charcoal
Originally Posted by scorchie
Work instructions states three different procedures, DEPENDING ON WHAT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER YOU HAVE (which can also depend on which car you have). The instructions only vary by one step:

1) press reset 3 times within 2.5 seconds

2) press reset 3 times within 1.5 seconds

3) press and hold reset for 20-30 seconds (until beep)

It turns out that not all Mercedes have this.

-s-
Thanks for the info Scorchie. I still can't get the exact oil level display to appear. My car is an '03 E500 with the Sport Package (white dial instrument cluster). Does this information help narrow down which of the three choices above I should use? I don't have Tele Aid activated so I get the no Tele Aid display when I first turn the key to position one. Maybe getting that display somehow interfers with the procedure for getting to the exact oil level display. I also noticed that if I start from the outside temp display and hold in the reset button until it beeps, the display will return to the mph display about 5-10 seconds before the beep. Maybe E500's built before 2003 can't get to the oil level menu.

Finally, when you press reset three times or hold it in, what display screen do you see in the instrument cluster?

Anything you or anyone else can think of will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Try switching to the Temperature display. That is the default after you've enabled Tele Aid. Then turn the key to position 1 and press the Reset button three times. Don't hold it in and don't space it out, just press, press, press. You should hear a beep and then go to position 2 and you are good to go.

I could never get my 2004 E320 to work until I did the Reset button procedure quickly.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by BudC
Try switching to the Temperature display. That is the default after you've enabled Tele Aid. Then turn the key to position 1 and press the Reset button three times. Don't hold it in and don't space it out, just press, press, press. You should hear a beep and then go to position 2 and you are good to go.

I could never get my 2004 E320 to work until I did the Reset button procedure quickly.
Good suggestion, but I think you mean:

Turn the key to position one

Switch the display to the temperature (on mine the basic display is speed)

Press reset three times quickly (or hold it for a while, depending which software you have)

DaveFr, you may want to look at getting a software update for your instrument cluster as well. I know there have been a couple since the 2003 models came out.

-s-
Old 05-30-2018, 09:41 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Oil menu access 06-E320

Originally Posted by ATS
This is what you need to do:

1) TURN KEY TO 1

2) Make sure the Outside TEMP is on screen.

3) Press the TRIP ODO RESET button 3 TIMES - It will beep.

4) Turn the key to Position 2.

5) Then press the UP ARROW.

It will then show you the litres in your car to the 0.1 of a litre.
Acessing from the TEMP menu does not work, MUST access from the MPH menu, then press reset button 3 times quickly. This can be done without the key in the dash if you have keyless go. Foot off brake, press START/STOP once, reset button 3 times, you will get voltage display, press up arrow on steering wheel once, bottom line will display Oil level, press START/STOP once, quarts or liters will fill in after 5 seconds. You may start the engine to display oil level real time.