E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E55 Headlight Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Unhappy E55 Headlight Help

I'm currently having headlight but specifically lowbeam issues. I'm at my wits end with this and I really need some help.

I noticed that my left lowbeam had stopped working so like any normal human I changed the bulb, but to no avail. I have checked the igniter by swapping it onto the other headlight and the igniter is indeed working. So I don't really know what else to do. After some research I read that its most likely a "ballast" issue. I am still confused because while looking through the forms I see mentions of a "ballast" and a "headlight module" but people are using the two synonymously.
*Also both my headlights do dip up and down when the car is turned on, just no light on the left lowbeam. if thats any help*

What is the purpose of the "ballast" and what is the purpose/difference of the "headlight module"?
Also, which is which? because there are two underneath the headlight, one with a yellow sticker and one with an MB sticker.
Which would I need to replace?

Which is which?
Old 11-02-2022, 12:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Function originates @ front SAM then routes through both modules. Reluctant to have someone pull codes using Xentry (MB diagnostics) could be SAM, module(s), or headlight assembly.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (12-04-2023)