E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 - 2009 E350 Keyless GO Entry Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 02:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E350
Angry W211 - 2009 E350 Keyless GO Entry Help

Team, this has been driving me nuts for months. I've read just about EVERY thread on this topic and I've hit a wall. Keyless entry on my front two doors aren't working. Do you have any advice/help? Thanks in advance!

Front Driver Door: Keyless lock and unlock don't work
Front Passenger Door: Keyless lock works. Keyless unlock doesnt work.

1) Replacement handles: I purchased two used Keyless GO front driver handles on eBay. They don't solve the problem on the Front Driver Door or Front Passenger Door. When I try swapping handles in any order, all the door handles behave the same.
2) Fuses: i checked 21-24 just in case
3) Scan tools: LAUNCH and STAR don't report any related issues
4) STAR didn't show responsiveness from the buttons being pressed
5) When pressing the button, the only one that shows the red light on my remote is the passenger side locking button. The other 3 buttons do not initiate a response on the remote.

I'd welcome your thoughts, questions, ideas, etc. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-25-2022, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I'm not surprised the used keyless go handles didn't work. They seem to have a limited lifetime, mine got replaced after about 7 years and about 8 years later, one of them is going again. I would get a new handle although those cost more. Price seems to vary by color, you could always just get some touch up paint to make a black handle match the color of your car.

I would also put in a new battery in your remote. Check the voltage with a meter, sometimes even new batteries are half dead. I always change mine out every 4-6 months. Also when you press the button, check the dash, you'll sometimes see a message like key not detected if the switch is working right. Means dead fob battery or key fob too far away. Maybe you have an antenna problem. Basically it's a bad design, water gets in through the buttons/membrane and ends up corroding the switches inside the handle. The W212 has a better design and the door handles don't end up going bad.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:35 PM

E350
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I'm not surprised the used keyless go handles didn't work. They seem to have a limited lifetime, mine got replaced after about 7 years and about 8 years later, one of them is going again. I would get a new handle although those cost more. Price seems to vary by color, you could always just get some touch up paint to make a black handle match the color of your car.

I would also put in a new battery in your remote. Check the voltage with a meter, sometimes even new batteries are half dead. I always change mine out every 4-6 months. Also when you press the button, check the dash, you'll sometimes see a message like key not detected if the switch is working right. Means dead fob battery or key fob too far away. Maybe you have an antenna problem. Basically it's a bad design, water gets in through the buttons/membrane and ends up corroding the switches inside the handle. The W212 has a better design and the door handles don't end up going bad.
I appreciate your feedback. The original handle on the pass front side locks only. The handle doesn’t lock when I put it on the driver side for testing. That tells me there’s something else going on.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by imchaiwala
I appreciate your feedback. The original handle on the pass front side locks only. The handle doesn’t lock when I put it on the driver side for testing. That tells me there’s something else going on.
Did you change the keyfob batteries and what does the dash say when you try the buttons? A bad antenna probably wouldn't trigger any codes. If you knew how to use a meter, you could probably check the switches for continuity. It's a simple switch but they don't really sell replacements. Someone mentioned they managed to swap it with a switch from a fax machine to get the old one going again but to get at the switch you basically have to rip up the rubber membrane so it's questionable how long that type of repair would last.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:13 AM

E350
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Did you change the keyfob batteries and what does the dash say when you try the buttons? A bad antenna probably wouldn't trigger any codes. If you knew how to use a meter, you could probably check the switches for continuity. It's a simple switch but they don't really sell replacements. Someone mentioned they managed to swap it with a switch from a fax machine to get the old one going again but to get at the switch you basically have to rip up the rubber membrane so it's questionable how long that type of repair would last.
Hi cetialpha, I did change the batteries. I will check the dash. I mentioned that do have a handle (passenger front) that has a working ‘lock’ button. However it doesn’t work when I try it out on the driver side.