E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CV boot repair Front outer DIY? '09 E350 wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 12:58 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
e350 4matic wagon 2009
Scratch that last post. I reviewed the pdf's posted by Konigsteiger and found that this is the way the Left looks. It came out correctly and it actually wasn't that hard to get out. I took off the boot and there was still a lot of grease in there and no water or dirt, so I think I'm in good shape. Just have to clean it out and reinstall.
Attached Thumbnails CV boot repair Front outer DIY? '09 E350 wagon-cv-joint.jpg  
Old 01-08-2023, 07:38 PM

e350 4matic wagon 2009
So, I removed the CV joint from the shaft using a brass drift to tap / bang it off. Really not difficult. I cleaned it out well and repacked with grease, replaced the retaining clip, joint, and installed the new boot, Looks great, but... when reinstalling the axle itself I noticed a tiny leak in the inner boot when compressing it, right at the large band. Seriously? If I caused it, it was going to happen soon anyway so I'm fortunate to have found it now. I have no problem replacing the inner boot, but the band holding the joint on looks like one perfect band without any beginning or end. I can remove it but how do I replace it? Do any of you guys know how that big band is crimped on? Pics attached.

I guess what I need to know is what is that band and how do I install a new one once I open, clean and put it back together?
Attached Thumbnails CV boot repair Front outer DIY? '09 E350 wagon-axle.jpg   CV boot repair Front outer DIY? '09 E350 wagon-inner-boot-.jpg   CV boot repair Front outer DIY? '09 E350 wagon-inner-boot-band-close.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
fahadscores (06-21-2024)
Old 01-08-2023, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,177 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I don't think it really matters how you get it off, cut, grind, whatever. You just use a new clamp anyway. I think the inner boot is harder to find.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:40 PM

e350 4matic wagon 2009
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I don't think it really matters how you get it off, cut, grind, whatever. You just use a new clamp anyway. I think the inner boot is harder to find.
Right. I have no problem cutting it off, the whole process seems basic. It is harder to find but I did find the part kit.

My question is, how do I "crimp" that band around the boot at the large end? It looks and feels like a ring which comes preassembled on the boot with no ends or crimping point to crimp it like the smaller band or the bands on the outer boot. I have attached Mercedes instructions on this and it shows the guy hitting this area with a hammer and chisel type tool. Is that what they call crimping? Anyone done this?
Attached Thumbnails CV boot repair Front outer DIY? '09 E350 wagon-screenshot-1473-.png  
fahadscores (06-21-2024)
Old 01-09-2023, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Didn't you buy the tool and the clamps? Not sure what size clamp that is.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-09-2023, 03:50 PM

e350 4matic wagon 2009
Yes I did get the crimping tool but those clamps are different from this clamp. The tool won't work for this, nothing to grab. They don't even call this a clamp; they call it a "retaining ring" .
Attached Thumbnails CV boot repair Front outer DIY? '09 E350 wagon-screenshot-1475-.png  
fahadscores (06-21-2024)
Old 01-09-2023, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by drchpeteros
Yes I did get the crimping tool but those clamps are different from this clamp. The tool won't work for this, nothing to grab. They don't even call this a clamp; they call it a "retaining ring" .
Right, I didn't think the tool would work, just for putting on the new one. You'd cut it off with a dremel or a grinder or hacksaw or whatever you have to cut metal.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:18 PM

e350 4matic wagon 2009
I have no problem cutting it off... I don't know how to fasten the new on because it's not the same type of band (I wish it was). The pic in the instructions shows a hammer and chisel. I was hoping someone has done this and could tell me how to do it. Maybe I'll start a new thread since this thread was about the outer boot anyway.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-19-2023, 12:24 PM

e350 4matic wagon 2009
Job finished

So I did finish this job which started out just to replace the outer CV joint the left. Getting the axle out using the axle puller and slight hammer wasn't too difficult but did take a little effort positioning the piece that goes around the inner hub. I actually had to disconnect it from the slide hammer bar, put it around behind the hub with my hand, then push the slide hammer end of the bar in and threaded into the part holding the hub in order to get it attached. There was simply no room to maneuver it around while it was still attached. There was little room to bang away with a slight hammer but it worked. I attached a picture of the one that I bought for the job.

Knocking off the outer joint using the brass drift was really not too difficult. I just put the axle in a vice, and tapped away at the inner star using a brass drift and a regular hammer. Once that was off the retaining ring is a little difficult to get off. I found the best way was to take a very small flat head screwdriver and tap the screwdriver tip underneath the ring using a small hammer, and then lift the ring up using the screwdriver and put a larger screwdriver under that to pop it off. This is not a snap ring with 2 holes in it that can be removed using a snap ring tool. It's really just a thick Metal hoop that can be pried off. The boot kit comes with a new one. Once the joint was off it was a simple matter of cleaning it up. I used mineral spirits to keep rinsing it out till it was pretty clean. The joint was then repacked with the grease provided in the boot kit and tapped back on the axle after sliding on the clamp, boot, and replacing the new clip. The only thing I'm a little bit unsure about is whether or not I got the clamps tight enough using the crimping tool. The pros must use a machine to do it because it takes a hell of a lot of force to pinch it down tight. I guess time will tell.

So this part of the job was totally worth not buying a new axle for thousand bucks, or close to it. And I suppose better than using an aftermarket axle that most people seem unhappy with. The real fun began when I noticed a tiny leak in the inner boot. That was much more difficult and I will explain that in another thread that I started about the inner boot.

HOWEVER, everyone should know that rebuilt axles for both sides are completely unavailable from MB. I spoke to 2 Mercedes dealer's, both of which said the item was on backorder and would take anywhere from 6 months - 2 years before they get any in. UNREAL. So even if I wanted Mercedes to do the job, they would be unable to because they don't have the part. Unless they do have the parts but won't sell parts for people do their own repairs. Based on the problems I had with the inner boot I now understand why they want to simply replace the axle with a rebuilt one. I was successful in finding a right side axle at FCP euro. They had 2 in the warehouse and they were genuine MB parts so I bought one for the other side. For some reason that axle was only 369 whereas the left axle was close to a grand. I don't understand why this price difference, they look very similar.

Bottom line: I think pulling the axle and replacing the outer boot is well worth it, but getting involved in the inner boot is a whole different ballgame because of the way Mercedes attached it. Now on to the right side.
Attached Thumbnails CV boot repair Front outer DIY? '09 E350 wagon-axle-puller.png