Questions on E-class, please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200 Kompressor (sold 2008), BMW 7 series (2009), now waiting for the E63
Questions on E-class, please

Dear MB Forumers,

Some of you would know that I was so desperately looking forward to taking delivery of my new E200K today.

Well, the call came, and wifey and I raced down to the dealer's place to pick up the car... or so we thought.

We noticed that there was leakage from the front windscreen airvents, and the Right driver's (it's RHD here) headrest rattles - so the car's back in the workshop to get those 2 issues ironed out.

What I wanted to ask fellow MB owners here is this "groaning", almost like a hydraulic pump being activated, sound which occurs after the brakes are depressed hard.

Is that the new SBC thingamee in action? Is it normal for other E-class owners to experience that noise? The "groaning"/hydraulics lasts for no more than 2 seconds, and then, the car purrs along quietly again.

The salesman, as usual, says it's "normal".

Is it really now?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
A certain amount of groaning is expected, but that issue should have been resolved for the most part since at least later production 04's. Do a search of this forum for SBC groaning, and you should find a lot of information.

For what it is worth, I had a more severe groaning noise, they implemented a star bulletin, and it is now better.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:29 AM

Thanks so much!!!!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:47 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
By the way I HATED!!! that sound so much when I got my car. For several months I lived with it and then took it to the shop.. You can see my posts about earlier.. It always happened when I was leaving from stopped position, it was resetting or something. I thought it was the the transmission.

I have now gotten used to it and don't even hear it anymore.. The brakes work amazing by the way.

Last edited by atssystems.com; 10-18-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:11 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience, atssystems.com - wifey and I were a little worried at first, I mean the car's so quiet you could hear a pin drop... and suddenly, there was this GROAN as the brakes were depressed... bloody scary stuff...

But, if this is how SBC works, and if it'll save lives, then I think we'll all get used to it
Old 10-18-2004, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
The brakes are electro-hydraulic. There is a pump that is used to supply brake pressure rather than your foot. What you are hearing is the pump running to maintain the pressure. It's a very low sound in my E320 (3/2004 build) and I hardly notice it.

Check the build date on your car and have the dealer install all the applicable Technical Service Bulletins upgrades.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by wobbles
Dear MB Forumers,
We noticed that there was leakage from the front windscreen airvents, and the Right driver's (it's RHD here) headrest rattles - so the car's back in the workshop to get those 2 issues ironed out.

What I wanted to ask fellow MB owners here is this "groaning", almost like a hydraulic pump being activated, sound which occurs after the brakes are depressed hard.
What a let down

The first question everyone should be asking is:

Has your vehicle got the full version of SBC? (I am guessing it has)
My vehicle has a view SBC noises when first entering or exiting the vehicle, but it is quiet thereafter.

If you are concerned about weird noises, then do not take the complete word of your salesperson. Ask to listen to a similar E-class, it does not have to be the same engine spec.

Whilst waiting for your car did you take possession of the manual

If so read up on SBC Hold, if you have it

Find out about setting folding exterior mirrors and lots of other little goodies.

Don't be afraid to ask.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:17 PM

*Aarrgh* I forgot to take the car manual home with me to read! Darn. But, yes, it has SBC Hold and that's something that excites the wife... she says it wouldn't kill her calves in traffic!

And it was while we were testing the SBC hold that the "groaning" business appeared.

No worries though - I asked another owner of a E240 who was also there collecting his vehicle whether he had experienced it, and indeed the same noise is present in his vehicle as well.

Our car was manufactured in July/August 2004, so I really wouldn't know if the latest Technical Service Bulletin Updates have been installed - dunno about dealers over your side, but dealers over here are more like distributors. I'll probably have to take it into the workshop (separate place) to get the technical wizards to help me figure things out...

Still, wifey and I had a chance to fondle the car a bit yesterday, and yes, we're in love with it (this is what happens when you have no kids ... you love your cars instead)
Old 10-18-2004, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
My car also has the low pitched growl...I know its the SBC as its present about every 4th to 5th application of the brakes.... Its only heard at a stand still and never heard once the car is in motion. A small price to pay for such a great braking system....
Old 10-18-2004, 09:54 PM

Hey there, Hell Ona Harley (great nick, by the way)!

I just realised that my E class has the same color scheme as yours - Brilliant Silver/Charcoal leather seats & interior! Great combination huh
Old 10-18-2004, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Agreed
Old 10-18-2004, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
The groan is present in my car after a few presses on the brakes. I've gotten used to it and it's not really that noticable in the first place. The funny thing is that my uncles E320 CDI in Malaysia has fewer groaning noises, but my explanation to that is cuz I was on the highway most of the time and the use of brakes was far less.

The only head rest rattle I get is when the front left passenger seat is empty. Apparently the fix is to take the head rest out then pull the two bars apart a bit to give it a tighter fit. Haven't tried this yet as I only hear it if my radio is off and a/c is down low. The only time the radio is off is when I have a passenger in the car, so....
Old 10-19-2004, 01:53 AM

Hi Le Burpor Good to have a cross-straits MB owner to talk to . Can you clarify the bit about you using the brakes less, hence the groaning is more noticeable? Does that mean the more I use the brakes, the less the groaning will be?

For me, the important thing is to know the groaning is NORMAL, and not some freak-disaster-waiting-to-happen, like my damn C-class!
Old 10-19-2004, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And it was while we were testing the SBC hold that the "groaning" business appeared.
That explains everything. The SBC system is activated I have to be polite here and say my tummy sometimes makes 'similar' sounds If I were to accuse the wife she would take 'punutive' action.

By the way, promise not to tell anyone? Have you promised?????

Well,,,, Hell on a Harley really prefers Yamaha's Hel-ona-Yama-ha-ha

Good luck with your new car,
John
A wet, damp morning in Torquay
Old 10-19-2004, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Hi Le Burpor Good to have a cross-straits MB owner to talk to . Can you clarify the bit about you using the brakes less, hence the groaning is more noticeable? Does that mean the more I use the brakes, the less the groaning will be?

For me, the important thing is to know the groaning is NORMAL, and not some freak-disaster-waiting-to-happen, like my damn C-class!
I think you have misunderstood me. I mentioned that the 'groaning' noise was less in my uncle's car in comparison to my car. When I drove his car in Malaysia it was mainly highway driving hence I used the brakes a lot less frequent than when I'm in Adelaide (ie. city driving - frequent use of brakes). Basically, the more frequent you use the brakes then you will get the groaning noise more often as I think the SBC pump is activated to recharge or something like that.

BTW, I don't live in M'sia but in Adelaide, Australia.

If you don't mind, how much are the E200, E240 and E320 in SGD? I understand they are very expensive over there.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:26 AM

Hi Le Burpor,

Thanks for the clarification - yes, what you clarified made a lot more sense... I apologize if I misunderstood you (must have been a long day at work for me).

And I do beg your pardon again, if I'd in anyway offended you. You mentioned your "uncle in Malaysia", so I immediately conjectured that you were perhaps, similarly from Malaysia (although now living in Australia - no, I didn't miss that bit), hence the "cross-straits" remark. My mistake :p.

Anyway, to answer your question:

An E200K in SGD would be S$199,888, inclusive of 1 year road tax ($1244) and 1 year insurance ($1500 or thereabouts) + a 3-year 100,000km warranty.

An E320 would tip the scales at S$300,000 or thereabouts.

An E500 is probably close to half a million bucks here.

Only one word: C R A Z Y

But I can't help but love my Mercedes Benz
Old 10-19-2004, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Wobbles.... Don't trip on it.... I drove 3 different cars (2 500's and an 320) before purchase and they all did this. Once the car is moving this noise is undetectable. As stated earlier, its only the pump motor keeping up operating presure for the braking system. Relax and enjoy your new ride...

Oh and glojo, Wiseguy :p :p :p
Old 10-19-2004, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Oh and glojo, Wiseguy :p :p :p
Were you reading other people's confidential mail??

I might have a surprise for you!!! but then again, I might not

Take care,
John
A sunny afternoon in Torquay
Old 10-19-2004, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
This link will take you to the MBUSA education site which describes the SBS system. Read it carefully because I'm going to have a pop quiz on it You may have to copy and paste the link.

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/W211_advisor/219%20HO%20SBC%20(WJB)%209-30-02.pdf
Old 10-19-2004, 10:27 AM

Thanks, BudC... very informative.

Now, I gotta go pop some Replax for that migraine of mine
Old 10-19-2004, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Hi Le Burpor,

And I do beg your pardon again, if I'd in anyway offended you. You mentioned your "uncle in Malaysia", so I immediately conjectured that you were perhaps, similarly from Malaysia (although now living in Australia - no, I didn't miss that bit), hence the "cross-straits" remark. My mistake :p.
Hey hey...no worries bud. I am in fact a Malaysian citizen but live in Australia. So I guess you were right...right?? lol...anyway...I thought you thought I was living in Malaysia..so now we know

Those prices are crazy...but the car is worth it ENJOY!!

BTW, is Sat Nav available in Singapore?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:08 PM

Hi Le Burpor

I believe Sat Nav is an optional extra that can be installed in the car, but for the life of me, why would anyone want Sat Nav in little old Singapore? From coastline to coastline, it'd take the grand total of an hour & 30 minutes' worth of driving, sometimes even less, if there's clear traffic.

Drive any further, the car would be doing a submarine impression in the ocean

For our American/European/British friends out there: that's how small the city-island-state of Singapore is :p
Old 10-20-2004, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Le Burpor
For our American/European/British friends out there: that's how small the city-island-state of Singapore is :p
It may not be the biggest country in the world, but it is certainly one of the nicest, and definitely the cleanest.

Good morning Wobbles, and good luck with being re-united with your car,
Take care,

John
A damp, very misty morning in Torquay
Old 10-20-2004, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E60 M5 - '08
Originally Posted by glojo
It may not be the biggest country in the world, but it is certainly one of the nicest, and definitely the cleanest.
We used to refer to it as a 'fine'-city because you can get fined for a lot of things. Is chewing gum in public still illegal???
Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Le Burpor
We used to refer to it as a 'fine'-city because you can get fined for a lot of things. Is chewing gum in public still illegal???
I remember seeing someone actually smoke a cigarette in a cinema It was brilliantly amusing. A member of staff actually had a very long bamboo pole and hit the person on the head with it whilst perhaps 'advising' them of their indescretion. In this country we spend thousands of pounds removing chewing gum from footpaths

I feel that Singapore has it right with these type of laws, Tiger Palm Gardens I am at it again. I blame John from New Zealand for all this, fetching back memories of yester-year (no jungle warfare training camps in New Zealand though )

My wife still has the beautiful dresses that I had made in Singapore (and they still fit) I put that down to strong zips

Bye for now,
John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions on E-class, please