E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What kind of factory audio is installed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What kind of factory audio is installed?

I have a US spec 2005 E320 CDI. The glass on the factory head unit is cracked, and I want to upgrade to an android head unit. The speakers do not say Harmon Kardon, and using the VIN decoder I did not see any special sound system options other than the CD changer. Do I have a fiber optic system that will require a decoder box? What kind of cabling must I run to the amp in the back. I will probably find someone to install the system for me, but I am hoping the install won't cost more than the components.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E320 CDI
A good test to find someone who is competent (perhaps) is to query installers. Those who can identify what you have probably have some understanding. As to installation costs, depends on what all you're going to want to install: speakers, cameras, GPS antenna (probably a given) and so forth. The sky is the limit. I'm in a similar situation, though I'll likely do my own installation: I've got the HK system, in which case I MAY go with an optical decoder (depends on whether I try to retain most of the factory speakers stuff or not).