E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 OM642 weeping - please not oil cooler again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 e320 Bluetec
Question W211 OM642 weeping - please not oil cooler again?

Hi there and thanks for reading.
Short question: Could an oil filter housing gasket failure possibly result in oil seeping thru the block weep holes?
Long background:
- W211 / OM642 / 2007 / 150K miles
- Oil leak thru rear weep hole (active leak observed using UV dye)
- Oil collecting on bottom of power steering pump (cant tell whether it's coming thru the front weep hole or oil filter housing)
- Oil cooler seals were replaced 2 years ago (just the seals, not the cooler)
- I just had a ton of fun pulling the turbo and the pedestal seals appear good
- Wanted to ping the forum to see whether an oil filter housing gasket failure could allow oil into the V and out thru the rear weep hole
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Last edited by Joe Klesney; 02-19-2023 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dvenneman (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 11:26 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
E350 4matic Wagon
Oil Cooler

Originally Posted by Joe Klesney
Short question: Could an oil filter housing gasket failure possibly result in oil seeping thru the block weep holes?
Long background:
- Oil collecting on bottom of power steering pump (cant tell whether it's coming thru the front weep hole or oil filter housing)
- Wanted to ping the forum to see whether an oil filter housing gasket failure could allow oil into the V and out thru the rear weep hole
if the oil cooler was done properly, I would check the oil separator and the camshaft plugs at the back of the engine.

My reference point is the W211 wagon with 250k mikes on it before engine failure. I did a lot of stuff that in the end doesn’t do anything to preserve the valves and pistons.

Once upon a time my service guy said, “just keep oil in it”. I feel like I spent a lot of money chasing leaks to get to 250k that and that I could have spent thousands less by just keeping oil in it to get to the same mileage before the engine had to be swapped.
The following users liked this post:
BetterDaze (02-24-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 07:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e320
I’d think a leak in the oil filter housing would just run down the front. In my mind the obvious places to check would be the gasket on the turbo air intake (the one that tends to leak onto the swirl flap motor) and the rtv that seals the valve covers. I usually put some oil absorbent cloth on to of the swirl flap motor.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:26 PM

2009 MB E320 Bluetec
Like flbiggs, I also think a leak in the oil filter housing gasket will leak at the front and I also think the turbo intake seals are a possible cause. I am including a picture from when I replaced my oil cooler seals. You can see it would be hard for oil to make its way from the filter housing into the V area where the drain channel is (but I am not 100% sure). On my car, the orange seal at the turbo inlet was leaking onto the swirl flaps and this goes down into the V drain. And the oil cooler seals were leaking as well. Oil can also leak from the other orange seal that goes on the crankcase vent tube into intake. The turbo pedestal you already checked..

OM642 during oil cooler seal repair. Oil filter is partially visible at bottom right of image
Old 02-28-2023, 10:30 PM

2009 MB E320 Bluetec
I forgot to mention that my oil cooler seals were replaced (with the new Viton type seal) about 4 years ago and they still leaked again (about 80K miles later)
Old 03-01-2023, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by apr1
Like flbiggs, I also think a leak in the oil filter housing gasket will leak at the front and I also think the turbo intake seals are a possible cause. I am including a picture from when I replaced my oil cooler seals. You can see it would be hard for oil to make its way from the filter housing into the V area where the drain channel is (but I am not 100% sure). On my car, the orange seal at the turbo inlet was leaking onto the swirl flaps and this goes down into the V drain. And the oil cooler seals were leaking as well. Oil can also leak from the other orange seal that goes on the crankcase vent tube into intake. The turbo pedestal you already checked..

OM642 during oil cooler seal repair. Oil filter is partially visible at bottom right of image
I would rather get 13mpg than deal with this shlt.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDI & 2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Joe Klesney
Long background:
Should of gotten the OM648 I6 CDI. More fuel efficient, reliable and affordable to own compared to the junky OM642 V6.