E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Privacy screen and sunroof problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 CLS550
Privacy screen and sunroof problems

**Originally posted in the C219 forum, but as these parts carry over with the W211, i figured I could get some help here as well**

I didn't really feel like making two separate threads for these two issues, so I've lumped them into one. For starters, I have owned the car (a '11 CLS550) for about 7 months, and have always had minor issues with both the sunroof and the privacy screen, but nothing that was really worth mentioning.

The sunroof always stops, and reverses about halfway when closing and I have to release the switch, and then try to close it, and it will close fully. If i can time it right, I can get it to not catch up and reverse itself, but then it will do it again just about 2 inches from fully closed. It acts as if there is something in the way preventing it from closing. I have looked and the tracks seem to be very clean, and I can't see any physical reason for it to be getting hung up. If i close the windows and sunroof externally with my FOB, it closes in one go, and much faster. I didn't even realize it initially, but the sunroof operates quite slowly when used from the inside of the car, and it sounds a bit strained, but never when I'm closing it externally. I'm wondering if there is any advice I can get before I take it into my local dealer for the sunroof recall. I planned on asking them to look at it there, but I really do not feel like paying the diag fee and possible repair if it's just a simple fix. I have reset (initialized) it multiple times but it never changes anything.

My current issue with the privacy screen just recently popped up. A bit of backstory, the privacy screen would sometimes get stuck down if i left it down overnight, usually in the heat. But as soon as i got it to work again, it would work without issue. In addition, ever since I got the car, it has had some electrical gremlins after going through an automated car wash. (don't even start, I'm well aware they're bad for the paint, it's already not in the best of condition, and I do hand wash when I have the time) I believe it has something to with a water intrusion into the trunk. There is no water near the battery, however I have noticed a drop or two of water on the left side, behind the trunk liner, which was near the fuse/relay block. After a wash, the car would sometimes go insane, with things like no fuel readout, windows not functioning, none or flashing lights (turn signals, headlamps, tail lamps, fog lights front and rear, etc) radio on and off, headrests dropping by themselves, etc. Sometimes it would happen immediately, sometimes it took 30 or so minutes, and sometimes it was completely fine. The most recent (and last time i will ever take it through an automated wash) it did all of those things, but i noticed the sunshade was partway down. I pressed the button and it raised without issue, but from then on when I go to lower it, it drops maybe 5 or 6 inches, stops, and then continues again, but never goes lower than 3-4 inches above the bottom. I have also noticed that when it's raised, it seems to be pushing into the headliner, and I always remember there being a 1 inch or so gap before. Is it possible that it somehow reset itself in a halfway up position to thing that it was fully closed? If so, is there a way to initialize it and get it to rest in a normal position again?

Sorry for the long rambling post, this is just racking my brain, and I would love to be able to solve this.
Old 03-04-2023, 10:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ml#post8732675