E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Found My First Bug....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Dealer has informed me that in order to fix the static problem described, they need to replace the rear window glass...
This is due to a broken heating element in the glass that will generate interference when the radio is operated at the same time the rear defrosters are turned on....
Hi HOH and others

Word of caution with this windshield replacement, if your dealership is sloppy with their work, the following can happen

1) make a mess with your interior (mine had stains on my headliner, seats, carpets and so on)

2) break your GPS antenna

3) break internal fixtures (my rear ashtray was broken ... finger prints around it and I guess the installer somehow broke it)

4) leak from badly installed glass. My friend had his replaced twice and leak only showed it's ugly face with power wash from a car wash.

I had to make 3 visits so far to the dealership and the saga is not over yet.

Hopefully yours will be smoother. GL
Old 12-01-2004, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
For these and other reasons I'm not to keen on replacement. I expressed the same concerns to my dealer and was invited to actually watch the replacement, but was still not convinced (yet).
Thanks for your warning....
Old 12-01-2004, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
For these and other reasons I'm not to keen on replacement. I expressed the same concerns to my dealer and was invited to actually watch the replacement, but was still not convinced (yet).
Thanks for your warning....

All these concerns are very TRUE!!!! My W124 was beaten up by a moron that removed the cell phone antenna (remember those old big things?). Precision Mercedes in Tampa fixed all the problems afterwards. However, there are some people who do great work. I would get it fixed while your car is under its original warranty; the extended warranties tend to screw you on these things. My family had a 2000 S500 that did this and the dealer blamed it on the tinting. They fixed the problem, but did not remove the tinting or the glass. Who knows what it was caused by, but it did go crazy when the defogger was on.

Steve
Old 12-01-2004, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I had to have a rear glass replaced at the Caddy dealer for the same reason. If your dealership does nice clean work otherwise, and it is a good place to do service business at, chances are the glass installers they subcontract to will be top notch too. Ask them to give it to the best glass people they know because you are a lunatic. You will both have a chuckle, and the work will be perfect. Then you'll wonder why you waited so long to fix it! I agonized over NOT replacing the glass & living with the drop out reception for just such a reason. A week after the replacement (when you no longer have to worry about slamming doors or closing them with the windows up) you will never think of it again!

No Sweat!