NAV-TV finally cracked the W211...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
NAV-TV finally cracked the W211...

At least for DVD playback.

I talked to Tony at NAVTV today and he said that the W211 has been a mother*@#* to convert but they've finally done it. For DVD playback only though. No TV tuner option. The biggest bummer to me is that to get the DVD playback, I have to lose the SAT radio...

I spent $1000 on my Sat radio, and although the DVD playback would be cooler, I'd hate to lose the factory SAT radio. ( I know I could go aftermarket through the AUX jack, but it wouldn't be controlled through the head unit)

Has anybody worked with NAV TV for any of their other vehicles? Are they reputable?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
I bet you that they don't offer it for all US spec comands...unless they charge an arm and a leg and swap/add components in the comand...

greetingz,
Old 10-31-2004, 09:02 AM

I don't know the specifics yet Steve. They told me that they convert the single CD slot to play both DVD's and CD's. I should have asked if it will also play MP3's but I didn't so I'm not sure.

The prices they are quoting are in the $2000 range. That sounds steep for just a conversion no matter how extensive. For that kind of change I might as well swap out for a European spec head unit. The only reason I haven't yet is because I was hoping to be able to keep the Sat radio with NAVTV's conversion.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:51 AM

If they are able to crack the US head unit, then $2000 may be worth it when compared with the going price of the Euro head unit. However, IMO, it would only be worth it if they are able to enable the possiblity for every feature while maintaining current US features: DVD Video, TV Tuner, RDS, Phone Book, Satellite Radio

If they are able to do the above, I would have no doubt about MP3. That's just a software feature. But, to enable DVD Video on a US unit, they would at least have to add a video codec chip or software (if the processor is tough enough).

The main reason why I haven't swapped for a Euro HU yet is because I prefer not to lose SAT, Phone Book, and misc features. If NAV-TV's upgrade is comprehensive at $2000 while the Euro costs $1200 - 1500 with the lost of features, then NAV-TV would offer the better deal, IMO. But, if NAV-TV's upgrade is not comprehensive, then you'd have to ask, WTF.

Last edited by Baby Jocko; 10-31-2004 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by EX-BEEMER
The only reason I haven't yet is because I was hoping to be able to keep the Sat radio with NAVTV's conversion.
I don't think that that will ever be possible (already sacrificed a few comands to get that software sorted out)...

Now that we installed a mercedes rear display in Scorchies 2003 E55 we found that if the headunit is set to US spec and thus supports satelite radio, one can still select TV and DVD from the rear screen...
So eventhough the front US spec comand is not able to display TV and or DVD, the rear display IS able to display both the TV and the DVD that is inserted in the headunit...but getting both the video features AND satelite radio working on the headunit itself does not seem feasible...

greetingz,
Old 11-07-2004, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
This is good to know. I am new to this forum and I have been reading everything about this DVD upgrade possibility and saw the pictures of the EURO command unit. I saw that the SAT button was missing and thought to myself that it must be because SAT radio has not caught on in Europe yet. At least it was unheard of up to the time I left there in 2000. Watching DVDs in the car is really not important to me. Also, I am single and really don’t care about my passengers enough to spoil them with a rear LCD screen to watch DVDs while I drive them around :-). If I had Kids, that might be very necessary though.

So now I am ready to ask my question at the risk of sounding stupid and uninformed. I already tried the 5. . .37 trick on my command unit and all I could change was the keyboard USA/EU and then car model USA/EU. My car was built in March of 2004 and I doubt that I even have the DVD drive in it anyway.

So, what would I have to do to get RDS and MP3 capabilities? SAT radio is still more important to me and I don’t want to loose it since I drive in places where there are no good stations (either only Spanish or religious stuff). When I head that SIRIUS was available I bought it and got a life subscription. I actually have not tried putting an MP3 CD in it yet, but I am sure it will not work, but I know I don’t have RDS.

Thanks you input,

Steve Aguirre
Old 11-08-2004, 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=MBenzNL]I don't think that that will ever be possible (already sacrificed a few comands to get that software sorted out)...

Thanks for the info Steve. I know you're the expert in all things command related. I think I'm gonna just think about it for awhile before I make any kind of conversion.

Are there any pictures posted of Scorchies conversion?
Old 11-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
[QUOTE=EX-BEEMER]
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
Are there any pictures posted of Scorchies conversion?
He took some pictures a few days ago of his headunit featuring satelite radio while the rear screen had the DVD being displayed...but I don't think he posted those yet...

greetingz,