E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

any way to disable the "do not forget key" beeping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2004 | 04:59 AM

2004 E500 4Matic
any way to disable the "do not forget key" beeping?

It must be the most annoying thing about my car, every time I turn off the engine and open my door, whether or not I'm using keyless go, it beeps very loud and displays that message until the door is closed.

In other cars I've been able to easily find the little speaker that makes this "courtesy chime" (which could be more accurately called a courtesy ALARM) and I've covered them with electrical tape to make them much quieter. But on the W211 it seems to be coming from behind the steering wheel or instrument cluster, an area that I don't have the heart to venture into.

Any ideas?
Old 10-30-2004 | 10:31 AM

too many to list
ditto
Old 10-30-2004 | 10:54 AM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
I asked the same question to my sales when I took the delivery and he said "nope". According to him was the Keyless go option and if I need to take one or the other I will take Keyless go since we like it more.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2004 | 12:40 PM

2012 CL550
eddie, I have posted about this several times. I was adventurous enough to take apart the instrument cluster and find the speaker, there is another post by Scorchie that explains how to get to it, it's not difficult. I tried putting tape over the speaker, but that made it worse, apparently directing the sound right at you to a level that hurt my ears. I then tried putting a little cotton in there to muffle it, that didn't work either. So I just put it all back together and left it alone.

My Service Writer at the dealership tells me MB is coming out with a fix for this soon. But to date he hasn't called to tell me it's ready. For now, I just live with it and am in the habit of pushing the reset button every time I open the door. If you can find a solution please let us know. If my dealer calls with the answer I will post and let everyone know.....
Old 10-30-2004 | 02:27 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
I don't have Keyless Go, so is the deal that even if you keep the key in your pocket and use the button to stop and start the engine, the car beeps at you anyway when you shut off the engine and open the door? That doesn't make much sense. According to the video on the MBUSA site, you can't lock a Keyless Go car unless you remove the key from the car, so the beeping seems unnecessary to remind people to remove the key from the car. Maybe they think that people might leave the key in the car and walk away with the doors unlocked, and so the beep is to prevent that. Seems like overkill, though, or an estimate that a certain percentage of their customers are very careless.
Old 10-30-2004 | 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
You can silence the beeping by pressing the scroll button on the left side of the steering wheel also.