E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 Question on Engine: Variable Valve Timing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500, 2001 Porsche Boxster
E500 Question on Engine: Variable Valve Timing?

Hello,

Quick question, does the W211 5.0 V8 have any type of Variable Valve Timing either for intake or exhuast valves or both?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by aomE500
Hello,

Quick question, does the W211 5.0 V8 have any type of Variable Valve Timing either for intake or exhuast valves or both?
I don't believe so despite Mercedes being one of the first if not the first to use it in a regular production engine. The new 3.5 liter, rail injected CGI V6's coming down the pike will have it.

On the current V6 and V8, Mercedes use a variable length intake manifold which is less expensive, more reliable and accomplishes about the same thing.

What's funny is that Mercedes were the first to use variable valve timing on passenger car engines and BMW were the first to use variable length intake manifolds.

Now BMW uses variable valve timing and Mercedes doesn't (on the M112/M113).

Mercedes does have forged crankshafts and Alusil cylinder liners.

Why do you ask?
Old 11-03-2004, 04:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500, 2001 Porsche Boxster
Thanks for the info. I was just recollecting how my 01 540 had Intake/exhaust VVT which gave it a great torque curve and had kept pulling like a freight train w/o running out of steam (from 0-155). This was I believe greatly aided by the I/E VVT. It also resulted in more torque 324 vs. something like 310 for the prior model years w/o the Exhaust VVT.

So it makes me wonder if this 5.0 would have even greater power and efficiency if MB used VVT? I wonder if there's the possibility that they will rework the 5.0 later on? Perhaps as an 06-07 model? Or would it be just too much work for them to change the 5.0? Perhaps a new V8 engine? That said, I think that the Size advantage gives the MB V8 great torque, but it kills me that the 4.5 V8 from BMW has more horsepower and almost as much torque.

It's funny you mention about the V. Length Manifold as being more reliable, as my 01 needed the entire valvetrain system replaced because it was making a ticking noise (though in hindsight, it was probably performing to spec, that the dealer just wanted the $$).

Good to know about the forged and alusil cylinders (I remember the mid 90s 540s having Nikasil and that drama that that caused). That really seems to make the engine more reliable, so it would just be all the sensors/electronics that could fail.

So I suppose I just want to know what kind of advanced technologies the 5.0 has? I can't find anything boasting much about it.

Last edited by aomE500; 11-03-2004 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
The current Mercedes V6 and V8 engines were designed with lower emissions and better fuel economy in mind. These are very reliable engines (at least after they redesigned the harmonic balancer).

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/new_V6.html

I suspect that there will be a new rail injected, 4-valve V8 soon. However, for most of Europe the new turbo charged diesel V8 and the new rail injected four and six cylinder gas engines make more sense.

BMW make truly great engines but they have had their weaknesses. My older BMW's would go through water pumps every 60K where I've never had a problem with coolant systems on my Mercedes and one of them was 17 years old.

BMW rely on high RPM to attain high efficiency. In the American market, most drivers prefer lots of low RPM torque. Since the V8's are mostly aimed toward NA markets, the 5.0 liter M113 engine makes more sense.

BMW are coming out with a new six cylinder engine called the R6. It's an amazing engine that has such features as an electric water pump.

Since Bangel has pretty much ruined the new 5 and 7 Series BMW's, it doesn't matter much that BMW make terrific engines.

Last edited by BudC; 11-03-2004 at 10:22 AM.