E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Airmatic Sagging (NO CODES OR LEAKS)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E320, W124 500E, W211 E500
Exclamation Airmatic Sagging (NO CODES OR LEAKS)

Hi all,

I recently purchased a W211 E500 with Airmatic suspension. I’ve scanned it with the SDS, and there are no current or stored codes related to the suspension. Additionally, there don’t seem to be any air leaks as the car maintains its height even after several days of not being driven.

I’m currently dealing with two issues:

1- The front right shock is sagging and sits lower than the left front one. It still raises and lowers, but is consistently lower than the left one. Consequently, the rear right also sits lower than the rear left. From my research, it seems like the rear issue might be a result of the front one. If fixing the front doesn’t resolve the rear sagging, I’ll address it separately. I’ve also checked the level sensor rod, and it appears to be in good shape; it’s not broken and is properly attached.

2- When driving on the highway, I receive a warning that the car is too low. If I reduce my speed, the warning disappears after 5-10 minutes. This issue only occurs at highway speeds; I don’t receive any warnings during light to moderate city driving.

I’m at a loss as to what could be causing this issue. I’m forced to drive the car in a raised position to avoid the “Too Low” warning. When parked overnight, the car maintains its position, leading me to believe there are no leaks. It doesn’t sag with moderate city driving, only with highway driving.

I’m new to this forum and have searched for solutions but haven’t found any answers yet. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Old 10-03-2023, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 412 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
When you drive on the highway above a certain speed, it will lower itself for aero reasons. If it falls out of spec of the Airmatic settings, it will trigger a warning.

The height needs to be set with STAR or a decent computer like Autel or something (on a flat surface, like an 4 post alignment bridge). This would be my first advice, make sure that the height setting is correct in the ECU

Do you know if it has the original links between the height sensors or aftermarket lowering links?
Old 10-03-2023, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,010 Likes on 784 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Yep, calibrate the suspension using STAR/Xentry. I posted on this. W211 suspension calibration under my username. See advanced search upper right.