E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bought a 2005 e320 CDI... questions about oil/transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz e320 CDI
Bought a 2005 e320 CDI... questions about oil/transmission fluid change

Hi all! Great to be a first time Mercedes owner. I recently purchased a used 2005 Mercedes Benz e320 CDI, but this is my first time owning a Mercedes, or any German car for that matter.

I want to do my own oil changes, so I looked up a few vids on how to do it, and it seems simple enough.

Would I be fine putting the car up on ramps to do the oil change? One video I watched said that it's not good to start the car with freshly changed oil from a ramped up position, because the fluid isn't distributed evenly. I think that might just be paranoia though.

For the oil changes, e320 CDI class just uses 5w-40 oil, correct? Would I have everything I need by simply buying this kit online?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...tosin-om642osk

Does it take 8 quarts of oil or 7.7? One video said 8 quarts, but then AMSOIL says it takes 7.7 quarts with the filter.

Finally, I don't know if the transmission fluid has ever been changed. The lady I bought the car from I know personally did all the recommended maintenance on the car, and got every light/service warning followed up on, so I'm assuming it's been done at some point in its life? But I"ll ask her and look up the service records to see if it's been done.

If it DOES need changed (i.e. has never been flushed before), how should I go about getting that done? Can I just go to a Valvoline etc., and ask for a normal transmission flush? Or do Mercedes require some sort of special transmission flush procedure/fluid?
Or should I just leave it if it has not been flushed up to this point? I've read online that getting a transmission flush if the vehicle has never had it done before may damage the transmission even more.

Thanks for the help with all these questions! It is much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2024, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Congrats on your new ride. I recommend reading the "sticky" w211 E-class it has very good info, how-too's, and items that one could put to use.
As for oil changes to each is own, I have used the ramps and never had problems. Some use the cyphon method by inserting line in the oil/dipstick.
When in doubt refer to your manual, but 99% percent of what done here is the tried, and true methodology! We're here to help, never to hinder. GL
R,
2Merks