E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E240 Police Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
E240 Police Car

I traveled to Iran recently and was surprised to see new E240 police cars. I was told the police adopted the model for its sense of authority, build quality, and "ability to catch any other vehicle on the road!" It's interesting that the E-Class is used in other parts of their world as taxis, police cars, and "more" (compared to US) affordable means of personal transportation. These entry-level E's don't often have the amenities, technology, and luxury as the ones we're used to in the United States, but I imagine their users benefit at least from the same tank-like build quality, great engineering, and tasteful design.

Attached Image: E240 Police Cruiser (Iran)
Attached Thumbnails E240 Police Car-rscn1028small.jpg  
Old 11-19-2004, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Some UK Police forces are Mercedes-Benz, and BMW most of which have the same 'luxurious' specification as those that you and I drive. (perhaps not with the options that some of us have selected)

Reliability, 18 - 24,000 mile service intervals and high resale value have been a major influence for choosing these vehicles.

John
Night time in Torquay
Old 11-19-2004, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Up to this year, Vail Colorado police used SAAB tubos for their cop cars. I think it was not for reliability . I think it was just to fit in with the stuck-up image of the town of Vail.

Sometimes it is better to spend twice as much money and get 3 or 4 times the life out of something. In Germany, the brand of Taxis is predominantly Mercedes. But the Police cars differ from State/Province/Land. In Stuttgart/ Badenwuerttenberg they are all MBs, in Bavaria they are all BMWs, in Nordrheinwestfalen they are mostly Opels or Fords. In the Ingolstadt area they are either Audis or VW. In Germany thay have all kinds of cop cars. Motorcycles however, are all BMWs.

Steve A
Old 11-19-2004, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
In my experience Mercedes-Benz have offered a 'Taxi' pack version of specific models plus no doubt Police packs. These are usually a very basic specification, special wiring loom and heavy duty seat covering and suspension.

The Police vehicles I have seen in the UK though were not special 'Police Pack' models. They have generally been 320CDI's usually Elegance specification. Motor bikes vary Police Force to Police Force. We have BMW's, Honda Pan European's and...... a few Yamaha R1's.

Regards,
John