E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Phone system installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Phone system installed

I picked up my new '05 CDI yesterday at the dealer; exactly 10 weeks to the day that I dropped it off from ED in Sindelfingen.

I had the dealer install the VCS integrated phone system. For '05, it is a brand new system. The receipt showed it as "UHI". I have the old-style center consol, and the cradle clips onto the UHI bracket in the butterfly compartment. There was also a new E with the new-style consol. It also had the phone sytem in it. The cradle sits in a verticle position in the rear of the consol. It doesn't look like there is enough room there, but it fit fine.

The UHI system works really well. In theory, when new phones are available from MB, you need to just purchase the new clip-on cradle and phone. No other changes are needed.

I had previously purchased a full integrated phone kit with VCS for a V60i phone. Obviously it could not be installed due to the new wiring in my car..... If anyone is interested in purchasing this kit at for a good price, pm me. This kit should fit all w211 from '03 through '04.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I have the V60i and it is OK. I actually did not want GSM yet since the areas I drive to don't have good GSM service. I was also told that when the new phones come in, all I have to buy is the phone and the cradle. Lets hope that is true. Eventually I will change to GSM, but not for a couple of years still.

What I was wondering is if your phone is GSM? What is the UHI system? I have the sppech recognition and I love it. By VCS do you mean the Voice Control System?

Steve
Old 11-19-2004, 04:35 PM

Steve:

I also had the V60i installed. I am on ATT, and won't switch to their GSM for another 6 months or so.

It sounds like you have the same UHI system I have. The technician explained it is a Universal Handy Interface, allowing us to switch between phones without having to replace the controllers. So far I really like it. My friends are all blown away by the voice control!
Old 11-19-2004, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Yes, then I have the same thing. I forgot that in Germany they adopted an adjective to be used as a noun. Handy = cellular phone. I cell phone is handy, but I could never figure out how this came to be. Some of the English words that het adopted really get *******ized.

I am also on AT&T, their GSM service is not quite that comprehensive in Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico. Until they do, I will keep my V60. I am also very please with the voice control of the radio, cd, cdc, and telephone.

Steve
Old 11-19-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
I had previously purchased a full integrated phone kit with VCS for a V60i phone. Obviously it could not be installed due to the new wiring in my car..... If anyone is interested in purchasing this kit at for a good price, pm me. This kit should fit all w211 from '03 through '04.[/QUOTE]

I'm very interested. Get in touch.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 4Matic
Hello Levind:

I bought my 2005 E320 4Matic (premium package; keyless go; wood steering wheel) two weeks ago with the new armrest/console (sp?). I never had a cellular phone before (by choice of course), but now I am am thinking of adding one in the car. Since I am not familiar with options/jargons for cellular phones, here are some stupid questions:
(1) If I get my dealer to install the MB phone system with voice control, etc., should I be able use phones purchased from local stores?
(2) Does the installed cradle accept cellular phones from other parties (e.g., say, my friend wants to integrate her own phone with the car system when she borrows my car for the weekend)?
(3) How much did it cost you to install the phone system in your car?

I'd appreciate a reponse/advice from you or anybody if desired. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye04

(1) If I get my dealer to install the MB phone system with voice control, etc., should I be able use phones purchased from local stores?
(2) Does the installed cradle accept cellular phones from other parties (e.g., say, my friend wants to integrate her own phone with the car system when she borrows my car for the weekend)?
(3) How much did it cost you to install the phone system in your car?

I'd appreciate a reponse/advice from you or anybody if desired. Thanks in advance.
Hawkeye04: Although I haven't tried a generic phone, I was told that we have to still use the proprietary Mercedes phones with the integrated system. Thus, the installed cradles (in theory) will NOT accept cellular phones from other parties. The retail price on the Voice controlled system is around $1500 plus installation.

There is an alternative: if you wait a little, Scorchie and MBenznl will have the European UHI system available as a kit. Not only is it less expensive, it should allow you to use generic phones. Do a search for "phone kit" in the w211 forum.