E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Did my amp kill my alternator??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 Jeep Wrangler 4.0
Did my amp kill my alternator??

Just installed an Audison AP F8.9bit (1200W) and head unit on my 04 E55 AMG. Drive around with it hooked up for a couple days now and finally got everything buttoned up last night. Never listened to the music loud, just 7 or 8 since my center speaker rattles and left side is out.

Sorry for the long block, it’s story time hopefully it helps troubleshoot.

So I get in my car after work today and get the battery protection message. Don’t think too much of it, maybe I switch the head unit to only run on the cigarette lighter and not tapping into the old radio power. 3 mins in I get a red battery warning. Stopped and checked connection, everything is good. 5 mins later I get the red battery/alternator message and air turns off. A minute later I get the SBC stop immediately reduced braking power etc messages. Stopped at a gas station on the way home and took the fuse out of the amp power wire (no tools in the car). She JUST barely turned over, so I started driving again with the brake message since the brakes felt perfectly fine (safety). Found that if I held it at 2500-3000 all of the battery messages go away. 5 mins later huge puffs of white smoke behind me. Stop and see it’s coming from the engine bay. Eventually got it jumped and started, ESP SRS and ABS lights all blinking, car didn’t want to upshift at all. Home now and an alternator on order. Auxiliary battery voltage is perfect 12.3. Main is 10.8 after driving and stopping. With the car running battery was 11.5ish.

Do you guys have any reason to believe it would be anything other than the alternator as well? Main battery is 3 weeks old. Really good quality AGM.
Old 06-06-2024, 02:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
things use energy and things generate energy-----now restate your problem or what is your real problem
Old 06-06-2024, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 Jeep Wrangler 4.0
Originally Posted by Plutoe
things use energy and things generate energy-----now restate your problem or what is your real problem
wanted some general opinions on if a stock alternator and group 49 battery would be able to handle the normal electronics in the car plus a 1200W amp.
But since I wasn’t listening to anything loud, I don’t think I overloaded the alternator. Didn’t know if there was something that could fail and cause all of that to happen outside of the alternator or voltage regulator