E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Limited slip differential

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 mercedes benz e550 w211
Limited slip differential

I have an 07 E550 and i want to swap to an after market slip differential and i would like to know or be directed to some good products
Old 07-23-2024, 03:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,049 Likes on 971 Posts
1999 E300TD
you better read much on your drive train before you do something childish as you will be back whining oh what went wrong bla bla
Old 07-23-2024, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,626 Posts
2019 C63CS
What is your objective for an LSD? Are you tracking or autocrossing? For daily driving, an LSD won't do much. A passive LSD requires actual slip on one wheel before the locking mechanism engages, so to see a benefit you need to currently be driving in a manner that frequently triggers traction control due to one wheel spin. Most aftermarket LSDs are geared aggressively towards track driving and autocrossing. They are not necessarily ideal for normal driving.

Alternatively to passive mechanical LSDs, but not really something you can do aftermarket, are the electronic limited slip differentials found in modern AMGs for example. These don't require slip to occur before they act. They use sensor inputs from the steering wheel angle, acceleration etc. to continuously determine the ideal torque split between the driven wheels. These have benefits in many situations. I love mine in my AMG. I can feel it during fast lane changes on the highway all the way to carving through a canyon road and on the track. They don't just eliminate one wheel spin, but also do torque vectoring to always make sure the wheel with the majority of traction gets most of the torque in any situation. Passive LSDs can't do that. As said, they only engage if one wheel is already spinning. They are great for aggressive driving as one does on the track and when autocrossing, but out on the road they mostly act as an open diff.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-23-2024 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2024, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 mercedes benz e550 w211
Originally Posted by superswiss
What is your objective for an LSD? Are you tracking or autocrossing? For daily driving, an LSD won't do much. A passive LSD requires actual slip on one wheel before the locking mechanism engages, so to see a benefit you need to currently be driving in a manner that frequently triggers traction control due to one wheel spin. Most aftermarket LSDs are geared aggressively towards track driving and autocrossing. They are not necessarily ideal for normal driving.

Alternatively to passive mechanical LSDs, but not really something you can do aftermarket, are the electronic limited slip differentials found in modern AMGs for example. These don't require slip to occur before they act. They use sensor inputs from the steering wheel angle, acceleration etc. to continuously determine the ideal torque split between the driven wheels. These have benefits in many situations. I love mine in my AMG. I can feel it during fast lane changes on the highway all the way to carving through a canyon road and on the track. They don't just eliminate one wheel spin, but also do torque vectoring to always make sure the wheel with the majority of traction gets most of the torque in any situation. Passive LSDs can't do that. As said, they only engage if one wheel is already spinning. They are great for aggressive driving as one does on the track and when autocrossing, but out on the road they mostly act as an open diff.
i want something that can act essentially as my safety net. I don't race on a track or anything but i do drive aggressive on public roads, i sometimes drift or do burn outs and i hate when i one wheel peel, i want more control from my back end. This is still a daily driver application, i have a 07 mb e550 and my suspension and wheels are aftermarket so my esp is always disabled and i don't know how to turn it on. My car is always open wheel and i want to change that. My tcs has saved me a few times but also it can hamper my fun.
Old 07-23-2024, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,626 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by CorsoE550
i want something that can act essentially as my safety net. I don't race on a track or anything but i do drive aggressive on public roads, i sometimes drift or do burn outs and i hate when i one wheel peel, i want more control from my back end. This is still a daily driver application, i have a 07 mb e550 and my suspension and wheels are aftermarket so my esp is always disabled and i don't know how to turn it on. My car is always open wheel and i want to change that. My tcs has saved me a few times but also it can hamper my fun.
An LSD is not a safety net. I does give you more control, though, especially when drifting, as drifting with an open diff is highly discouraged due to the backends' tendency to suddenly snap w/o warning, but an LSD is no substitute for ESP. The latter reacts to undesired yaw and can save your bacon if you are about to spin out unexpectedly. An LSD on the other hand will encourage the spinout as both rear wheels will break loose together, but as said it will allow you to control the spinout better and it will be more progressive, but don't mistake control for safety. I don't quite understand what's going on with your ESP, though. An aftermarket suspension and wheels doesn't disable ESP and ESP is always on by default. Did you code it out or something?

The usual suspects for aftermarket LSDs are companies such as Wavetrac, Eaton and Quaife. Renntech also makes one. Some of them claim they can lock 100% in a straight line, but most mechanical LSDs have a 25-30% lock. You have to see which company actually makes one for your specific car in the first place. I personally don't have experience with them. I buy cars that come with LSDs from the factory and are designed around them, preferably an electronic LSD as explained above. You may have to beef up your half shafts etc. as well as your drivetrain wasn't designed to handle the additional stress from an LSD. Your car was designed for commuting to the office, not drifting and hooning about.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-23-2024 at 07:35 PM.