Dvd Error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 03:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Dvd Error

I know there are a few threads regarding this subject however I haven't been able to find any answer solving my problem yet.

When I burn a Mp3 DVD using a Fuji DVD + RW I get a "DVD error" from my comand once I insert the disc.

I have burnt several Mp3 CD's and I've never had any problems with any of those.

I use Nero 6 and I have been trying to burn both as a data disc as well as a Mp3 DVD audio disc... However with the same poor result.

If anyone could help me solve this problem it would be the best x-mas present this year
Old 11-27-2004, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by trin
If anyone could help me solve this problem it would be the best x-mas present this year
Hi Trin,
I can only help if you have the optional COMAND system.

First off, I have never spoken to anyone that can write the 'claimed' 250 folders onto a DVD, so for the present do not even try.

For my experiments I used re-writeable DVD's which catered for all my failed attempts.

I have had the most success using the same software as yourself, Nero 6, but I always try to keep things simple. I quite simply:
clicked on Nero Express
Select 'Music'
Select 'Mp3 Disc'

Then your off and running

Just click on 'add' and select all your folders and files.

For my latest attempt, before opening Nero I prepared all the folders I was going to copy first. (five in number and NO MORE than 255 files)

Make sure there are NO files other than Mp3's in the folders and name the Mp3 files in a way that you understand, the 211 COMAND does not need the old fashioned naming system of 'Abba_Dancing_Queen.mp3' it will read
'Abba Dancing Queen'

Good luck, and if you have problems please feel free to p.m. me and we will go through it together.

Bye for now,
John

An overcast morning in Torquay
Old 11-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL55 AMG
Thank you very much.

First of all I have the DVD based Comand system and as I wrote before I have played lots of Mp3 CD's on it after the software update which enables Mp3 support. Never had any problems at all with the Mp3 CD's.

However the Mp3 DVD's just gives me the same "DVD Error" every time I feed them to the Comand unit.

I have tried to burn the way you just mentioned and the only setting I have changed is the "No Multisession". Otherwise it's all standard.
I have even tried to burn the DVD's as data discs but I still got the exact same poor result.

I know there must be something I am doing wrong I just can't figure out what it is
Old 11-27-2004, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by trin
I have tried to burn the way you just mentioned and the only setting I have changed is the "No Multisession". Otherwise it's all standard.
Hi Trin,
I was going to suggest changing the brand of DVD, but before replying to this thread I went throught the procedure that I recommended. I have Nero Version 6 Ultra Edition and it does NOT ask you the 'multi session' question.

Are you doing EXACTLY as I recommended?

Nero Express
Music (directly under Data and above DVD-Video)
Mp3 Disc

Then 'add'

As you can see there is no question that asks about 'multi-session'

Nero Burning ROM will definitely have the option you have described. It will however burn music DVD's but you run the risk of putting in a wrong setting and wasting a DVD (the pesky message 'DVD Error')

Are you 100% sure you are using Nero Express and NOT Nero Burning ROM?

Good luck
John
Old 11-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL55 AMG
Hi John,

Thanks again for your time and help.

I have tried both the expressmode as well as the Nero burning rom mode.

Always the same result....

Any recomendations when it comes to DVD brands ? (must be RW)
Old 11-27-2004, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Usually different brand DVD writers recommend different brand DVD's I have had success with Maxell R\W and I cannot find the other brand I have used. Found it.. Verbatim R\W.

If your COMAND plays DVD video's, then I would suggest it might be a problem with your own writing arrangements as opposed to a COMAND problem.

I know of a number of people using Nero Burning ROM successfully. (I have used it) The Express version is what I would describe as being more 'foolproof' because there should not be anyway of making a mistake. It is just a step by step wizard.

A member with the user name 'Oslo' has far more technical knowledge than myself. I would not hesitate in recommending you try to contact him and seek his advice.

Good luck,
John
Old 11-27-2004, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I find burning DVDs is not all that pleasing. Some brands will work with one burner but then will not play in another DVD, some brands will record with one burner and not another, different lots of the same brand will work differently and almost any combination you can think of. I probably get somewhere between 5 and 10% that are "coasters".

This experience is from using four different burners (two that write with + or - and the other two that only use -) and about ten players. I also have three different programs--Nero, Record Now and another one (that I cannot remember the name of now) and again, it is a mixed experience. Sometimes they work, sometimes they do not.

So why should it not be the same for the car's DVD player? I would add that I have had more problems getting RW disks to play in various DVD players than with R disks so you might take that into consideration. My only player that seems to play anything is the $25 junk APEX player my son has.

Here is a forum site for DVD media in general. Most on this site say to get "Made in Japan" if at all possible. I get a lot fewer coasters from the Japan material but I have had problems with some of those as well.

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewf...0048eb896c6971

And here is one that answers a lot of questions:

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.41

One final thing. The blank DVD media has manufacturer information on it that you can read using a program you can download from this site:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Only problems is that some of the cheap brands put fake id information on their products but most of the major brands are honest. It is amazing to see who actually made some of the "brand names".
Old 11-27-2004, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pfphipps
I find burning DVDs is not all that pleasing. Some brands will work with one burner but then will not play in another DVD,
I totally agree 100% with everything you have said. R\W DVD's are especially tempermental and I only use them for experimenting. The DVD that we play in the car is a read only DVD.

I have tried to find out how many folders my particular type of COMAND will read and I use R\W DVD's for this because of the finnicky behaviour of COMAND. so far I have managed 62 folders, but I am now having a break from it, but will shortly start playing again.

I personally will only have the one DVD in the car though because they simply hold too much information.

Regards,
John