Nav POI database - Starbucks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 320 CDI
Nav POI database - Starbucks?

I sold my wife on the Nav system option solely on the basis of quickly locating any nearby Starbucks. Now I’ve got the car and can’t find any Starbucks on the Nav. There is not a category for Coffee so I tried Bistro etc… but couldn’t find anything. Please tell me that Starbucks are in there and I’m just not looking in the right place. If they did not include Starbucks in the database then they have made a huge mistake in my book.

I tried to search the POI’s alphabetically but could only search by category and distance. Is there a way to search for POI’s by name?

I understand that Navtec upgrades the database every 6 months so maybe they can add the data in a future release but what does it take to add a new category (Coffee) to the POI’s? Is this something the MB would have to upgrade with a new software release? I want to know so that I can direct my upgrade requests to the correct parties.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
sold my wife on the Nav system option solely on the basis of quickly locating any nearby Starbucks. Now I’ve got the car and can’t find any Starbucks on the Nav. There is not a category for Coffee so I tried Bistro etc… but couldn’t find anything. Please tell me that Starbucks are in there and I’m just not looking in the right place. If they did not include Starbucks in the database then they have made a huge mistake in my book.
I hear you man, thirsty en-route and need coffee, what you gonna do, damn these Mercedes and their useless navigation systems.

You need therapy dog

Last edited by marcos; 11-27-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:57 PM

Mercedes Benz
I think it's under the restaurant category
Old 11-27-2004, 01:20 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
What about Tim Horton's eh?

(for the Canadians..).
Old 11-27-2004, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
it's under "name"
Attached Thumbnails Nav POI database - Starbucks?-starbuck.jpg  
Old 11-27-2004, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
What about Tim Horton's eh?

(for the Canadians..).
Tim Horton is there too
Attached Thumbnails Nav POI database - Starbucks?-tim_horton.jpg  
Old 11-27-2004, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Is "name" one of the search features? Which menu? I know I should go out and look...but ... :p
Old 11-27-2004, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
it's this button here (circled in red)
Attached Thumbnails Nav POI database - Starbucks?-name.jpg  
Old 11-27-2004, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
correct me if im wrong, but i believe you are showing us this on a C-Class. I dont think the E-Class has this feature, atleast ive never seen it.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by bmms8
correct me if im wrong, but i believe you are showing us this on a C-Class. I dont think the E-Class has this feature, atleast ive never seen it.
i think the comand menu is generic because the comand operator's manual doesn't specify any model of mercedes, but if you don't see it then maybe you're right. It's hard for me to believe the C comand would have more features than the E's. I would think the reverse would be true.
Attached Thumbnails Nav POI database - Starbucks?-com.jpg  

Last edited by mick1; 11-27-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
I still can't believe he sold the command to his wife because it could find Starbucks
Old 11-27-2004, 05:29 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Originally Posted by mick1
i think the comand menu is generic because the comand operator's manual doesn't specify any model of mercedes, but if you don't see it then maybe you're right. It's hard for me to believe the C comand would have more features than the E's. I would think the reverse would be true.
Nice thought, but I find no "Name" soft key on our '05 E320, nor can I find Starbuck's anywhere else on the POI screens. Looks like us E-Class folks got shortchanged. Software upgrade, anyone?
Old 11-27-2004, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Now I'm really cross, No button to find Starbucks, and NO Starbuck's in Torquay for my non-button to find!!!! This is ALL Toooooo much

I have had to look on the Internet to find out what Starbuck was doing leaving his starship. Then I find out that he has set-up some shops that actually sell coffee. What is wrong with a nice pot of tea and scones???

The World is going mad!!!

Regards to all you Starship Galactica fans

John
Night-time in a Starbuckless Torquay
Old 11-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Almost a Member!

E 320 CDI
Interesting...Looks like maybe there are some different software releases out there in various cars. I'll ask MB and Navtek about it on Monday and let you know what they have to say.

The truth with my wife is that I don't drink coffee and could care less about Starbucks but she really prefers Starbucks. We have a boat with a very nice Nav system in it and frankly the MB system looks weak in comparison. Even she immedaitely noticed how primative the MB system was but I insisted on getting it anyway. In trying to come up with a justification for spending the bucks for it, I hit upon the Starbucks Locator Function (SLF) idea. Now it's kind of backfired on me. Oh well.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally Posted by jrthiele
Interesting...Looks like maybe there are some different software releases out there in various cars. I'll ask MB and Navtek about it on Monday and let you know what they have to say.

The truth with my wife is that I don't drink coffee and could care less about Starbucks but she really prefers Starbucks. We have a boat with a very nice Nav system in it and frankly the MB system looks weak in comparison. Even she immedaitely noticed how primative the MB system was but I insisted on getting it anyway. In trying to come up with a justification for spending the bucks for it, I hit upon the Starbucks Locator Function (SLF) idea. Now it's kind of backfired on me. Oh well.
Actually, I found Starbucks on the W211 Navigation

Under POI
Resturants
Other

They are listed by distance (I think) so you may have to scroll down a long ways unless one is close to your location. I found several coffee shops here.
Tullys (is that Seattle only?) and a couple of others. Also Bascomb and Robins and a couple of other ice cream shops.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Almost a Member!

E 320 CDI
Originally Posted by etenn
Actually, I found Starbucks on the W211 Navigation

Under POI
Resturants
Other

They are listed by distance (I think) so you may have to scroll down a long ways unless one is close to your location. I found several coffee shops here.
Tullys (is that Seattle only?) and a couple of others. Also Bascomb and Robins and a couple of other ice cream shops.
Great. Thanks for the input.

I was able to finally find Starbucks just as you described. I also figured out that it is possible to see a list of restaurants by city by selecting POI - Select City and then Restaurants - All - List.

However, I also discovered the Starbucks listing to be sporatic at best. Here is what I found searching the West Coast:

34 in Los Angeles
28 in San Francisco
11 in Portland
3 in Seattle

Now Seattle is the home of Starbucks with one on just about every street corner. I don't know how many are in Seattle but I'm sure it is more than 3 dozen yet the Nav only shows 3. In my hometown of Hillsboro, Oregon it shows 0 despite showing 3 restaurants and a grocery store down the street that are all newer than the adjancent Starbucks which is missing. Oh well.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:44 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I couldn't find any Tim Horton's in Toronto and there has too be at least 100 of them here. At least..

It is dissapointing that there is no SEARCH button on the E class..
Old 11-28-2004, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
The question may be where they get the resturants, etc., that they include. Do they collect a fee? I asked a small Chinese resturant that I go to if they knew they were on the list. They said they did not have any idea why they were there. They said they never paid to be on any list.

It would be interesting to know where the data comes from.

There are probably over 200 Starbucks in the Seattle metro area and only 3 show up. It does make you wonder.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by atssystems.com
I couldn't find any Tim Horton's in Toronto and there has too be at least 100 of them here. At least..

It is dissapointing that there is no SEARCH button on the E class..

I'm parked at Yorkdale Shopping Centre in Toronto and it is listing out a Tim Horton's. Do you have the latest nav DVD?

dpaulyn
Old 11-28-2004, 11:27 PM

2013 S550
Well, this is a bit tangential to the topic, but still...

I have a replacement 2003 with DVD in Motion. I have activated the necessary menus so that I may do the in-motion thing.

I did notice, for the first time on Thanksgiving, that I now maneuver through a much different NAV interface than before.

I wanted to look up the name of a restaurant I was taking my Mother to for Thanksgiving. I could not remember whether it was a right or a left at a major cross-street, so I decided to use the NAV via the POI interface.

I found that I cannot access categories (type-restaurant) as I could with a USA interface. It was so frustrating (and more distracting than DVD-in-Motion has even come close to being) to attempt to find the steakhouse in the mist of Taco Bells and Burger Kings. I also found out that you have to get pretty close to hit your restaurant. When there are 20 places within 0.8 miles, the system seems to fill up.

So, in this instance, I would consider this loss a downside to activating the full DVD-In-Motion (via programmable interface) on the replacement 2003s.

I like having the categories. But I like having great DVD-based music echoing though the cabin, too. Seems like I access multi-artist DVDs more frequently than I do POIs at this point. But, it's nice to be able to change back and forth to suit your needs.

Yet another reason why I feel lucky in ordering NAV and getting the replacement based on a hardware issue. I still love 'em for that....
Old 11-29-2004, 01:07 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by dpaulyn
I'm parked at Yorkdale Shopping Centre in Toronto and it is listing out a Tim Horton's. Do you have the latest nav DVD?

dpaulyn
Yeah, I have a 2005 Command unit with a 2005 DVD in my 2004 car..

I was downtown and was in front on two (across the street from each other) and when I drive by one, I go into restaurants and they don't come up..

It must be hit and miss.

For the CDN, have you ever seen a Second Cup in there?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
The ability to find POI's by name would be one of the most useful features that could be added. So many times I know the name, and don't really want to find the category that it is in (which can be a little maddening sometimes the way it displays them).

I wonder if a future upgrade to the firmware will allow this?
Old 03-23-2006, 04:13 PM

2003 E320
Originally Posted by ctouhey
Well, this is a bit tangential to the topic, but still...

I have a replacement 2003 with DVD in Motion. I have activated the necessary menus so that I may do the in-motion thing.

I did notice, for the first time on Thanksgiving, that I now maneuver through a much different NAV interface than before.

I wanted to look up the name of a restaurant I was taking my Mother to for Thanksgiving. I could not remember whether it was a right or a left at a major cross-street, so I decided to use the NAV via the POI interface.

I found that I cannot access categories (type-restaurant) as I could with a USA interface. It was so frustrating (and more distracting than DVD-in-Motion has even come close to being) to attempt to find the steakhouse in the mist of Taco Bells and Burger Kings. I also found out that you have to get pretty close to hit your restaurant. When there are 20 places within 0.8 miles, the system seems to fill up.

So, in this instance, I would consider this loss a downside to activating the full DVD-In-Motion (via programmable interface) on the replacement 2003s.

I like having the categories. But I like having great DVD-based music echoing though the cabin, too. Seems like I access multi-artist DVDs more frequently than I do POIs at this point. But, it's nice to be able to change back and forth to suit your needs.

Yet another reason why I feel lucky in ordering NAV and getting the replacement based on a hardware issue. I still love 'em for that....
i completely agree. it is REALLY frustrating to not be able to use the LIST function, the restaurant CATEGORY function and it appears the BANKS category function is also missing.

I definitely do enjoy the DVD option, but i wish i could have both. does anyone know how to have the old navigation set up with List, Banks, Restaurants by Category etc present and yet still have the DVD-in-motion?

still gotta love the replacement though.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
does the euro w211 unit have the "name" button?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:11 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Originally Posted by jrthiele
Great. Thanks for the input.

I was able to finally find Starbucks just as you described. I also figured out that it is possible to see a list of restaurants by city by selecting POI - Select City and then Restaurants - All - List.

However, I also discovered the Starbucks listing to be sporatic at best. Here is what I found searching the West Coast:

34 in Los Angeles
28 in San Francisco
11 in Portland
3 in Seattle

Now Seattle is the home of Starbucks with one on just about every street corner. I don't know how many are in Seattle but I'm sure it is more than 3 dozen yet the Nav only shows 3. In my hometown of Hillsboro, Oregon it shows 0 despite showing 3 restaurants and a grocery store down the street that are all newer than the adjancent Starbucks which is missing. Oh well.
Three Starbucks in Seattle?!? Dexonline shows 81 locations here. You can't drive five minutes in the city without seeing one.

yikes!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nav POI database - Starbucks?