E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Car Steering Issue - Clunking Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2024 | 07:09 AM

Mercedes W211 E220 2003
Question Car Steering Issue - Clunking Noise

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice on a problem with my car. Recently, I've been hearing a clunking noise, especially at low speeds when going over bumps. I don't hear the noise when turning the steering wheel in a stationary position. The clunking still happens occasionally at higher speeds, just not as often.

I took it to a mechanic, and they mentioned it could be an issue with the steering rack. Has anyone experienced something similar? Could it be something else like tie rods, control arms, or bushings? I've changed all the tie rods and control arms and the wheel doesn't have any audible shake! Any insight or suggestions would be much appreciated before I decide on the next step. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2024 | 11:56 AM

E320
It’s possible that the clunking noise you're hearing is related to issues with the steering rack, especially if the tie rods and control arms have already been replaced. However, given the specific conditions you're experiencing the noise—mainly at low speeds and going over bumps—you might want to inspect the sway bar links or bushings, as well as the top strut mounts. Worn bushings or sway bar links can cause clunking noises because they lose their ability to cushion and limit the movement of suspension components. Another possibility could be a loose or worn steering column coupling, which might not immediately be apparent but can lead to similar noises.

The following users liked this post:
Œuvre (10-15-2024)
Old 10-16-2024 | 07:11 AM

Mercedes W211 E220 2003
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you, I think I'll have to get a second or a third opinion. I haven't fully checked the sway bar links and the bushings, so I'll give it a go, but I'm pretty sure they're fine. I assume there should be a visible sound when I pull on the sway bar? Strut mounts should be fine, I have checked for clunks and they haven't made any noise. It's hard to diagnose clunking on a specific part, and I've been trying to do that for quiet some time