E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Accident

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350
Unhappy Accident

Well, it was only a matter of time. After 13 years of driving through northwest New Jersey, I hit a deer. At 5:20AM this morning, on a dark local road a deer came from the side of the road and I hit it with the right-front corner of the car. I am fine, the deer is not and the car is damaged, but driveable. The airbags did not deploy and the car still drives great, just doesn't look that good. I will post pictures when I can.

I contacted the police and my insurance company. Anything else I need to do? I plan on having MB repair the car, but I will have to see what the insurance company says about that.

Anyway
Old 12-03-2004, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad to hear you are alright though and that you are still driving. I am sure your insurance agency will take care of the repairs.
I wonder if this sort of thing can make a person's rates go up?
Old 12-03-2004, 09:55 AM

2013 E350
This repair is covered under the comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism) part of my insurance so it does not count as an at fault claim. Also, my deductible for comprehensive is only $100.

I am taking the car to Caruso's in Plainfield, NJ. They were recommended by Millenium Mercedes.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by jbec.keane
This repair is covered under the comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism) part of my insurance so it does not count as an at fault claim. Also, my deductible for comprehensive is only $100.

I am taking the car to Caruso's in Plainfield, NJ. They were recommended by Millenium Mercedes.
I am sorry to hear about this. I can personally relate since I killed a deer in 1993 in Kansas while driving from Colorado to Florida. My car was totaled (it was a cheap Isusu, I was in college). Luckily, I was still able to see out of the windshield and kind of drive the car. I hit it at 75 MPH and my car was a very low sports car. Needless to say. . . it scared the S@@T out of me! The psychological part is the worst thing.

NBC nightly news had a special on the high amount of deer on the road. Especially in your area! Just in case you are thinking what you could have done differently. The answer in these cases is NOTHING! They really JUMP right in front of your car! My insurance said that if I had swerved and hit something instead of the deer, it would have been MY FAULT! So I too had it paid out of my comprehensive side of the policy. I have a $250.00 deductible, but a lot of people now have $1,000 deductible, I don't know why, since it is not that much cheaper.

If I find a picture of my Isusu Impulse, I will post it on this thread.

I hope everything goes back to normal for you as soon as possible,

Steve Aguirre
Old 12-03-2004, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
damn that sucks, at least you are ok. where in northwest jersey did it happen?

also, i dont know how far away you are from rahway, but quality auto body is an excellent repair shop if you dont have to pay for the repairs. they tend to be ridiculously expensive but do all of the body work for all of ray catenas dealerships. they also completed the course/class and are authorized to work on CL's by Mercedes Benz. not that you have a CL but there are only a limited shops that are authorized to work on CL's so i think that says alot about them.

http://www.qualityautobody.net/Affiliations.asp
Old 12-03-2004, 10:39 AM

2013 E350
The accident happened on Route 57 on Mansfield, NJ. As far as I know the deer is still there. I'm a little torn about the deer. In some ways it is too bad that the deer died just for doing what he was meant to do. On the other hand, he did get in the way of my car.

I have a lot of confidence in my service rep at Millenium. If he says that Caruso's in Plainfield does a great job and does all of their repairs then I'll try them. My wife is taking my car in for an estimate on Monday. I'll let you know.

JK
Old 12-03-2004, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you came out okay. If the dealer handles the repair, will they use the nano paint?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:54 AM

2013 E350
I doubt it, but I don't know. I would expect that they will use the same paint used when the car was new in order to improve the chances of matching the paint color.

I hope Pewter Silver is easy to match. It should be since it already looks like it's a different color depending on the light.
JK
Old 12-03-2004, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Over here we must go to a Mercedes-Benz authorised body shop just to keep within the terms of the warranty.

I have heard a number of bodyshops claim to use 'nano' paint, but the cost and logistics involved in fitting out a bodyshop to bake to the high temperatures that this paint requires would be astronomical.

Having 'painted' a gloomy picture, I have heard of a number of 211's that have had excellent repair work and they have been delighted with the matching of paint.

It can be quite traumatic killing an animal and sadly there was nothing you could have done to avoid it. Thank goodness it was just the car that was damaged.

Good luck with the repair,
John