E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Problems burning MP3 DVDs with Mac

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problems burning MP3 DVDs with Mac

I have now made my 10th coaster for my '05 CDI. I used Apple's DVD software, but there are very few options. I then downloaded DiscBlaze and NTI DragonBurn, and have not found the right combination. Here's what I've got: Memorex DVD-R media, burning at 1X. 29 Folders with about 500 MP3s ripped at 320kbps. The options for the burn are:

HFS+
HFS
Joliet
MSDOS
Hybrid HFS+/MSDOS
Hybrid HFS+/Joliet
Hybrid HFS/MSDOS
Hybrid HFS/Joliet
UDF 1.5
UDF 1.02
DVD movie

Which should I use? Could my problem possibly be the Memorex DVDs? The Comand does the same thing each time. It spins for a while and displays disc error. A few times though it worked for a few minutes before quitting. MP3 CDs are no problem.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too many to list
i think your problem is that your burning from a mac....
Old 12-09-2004, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Lexino
i think your problem is that your burning from a mac....
You would be thinking incorrectly.

Daniel, try using Toast. It will make discs properly for the COMAND if you use the "MP3 CD" option.

Also, I've had varying amounts of luck with different media. You may want to try varying your media choices somewhat.

-s-
Old 12-10-2004, 10:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scorchie was correct as usual. I used a Sony DVD -RW instead of Memorex DVD -R. I burned the disc using a demo version of DiscBlaze (www.radicalbreeze.com, $29) selecting ISO 9660 and 1X burn speed. I now have a perfect 4.5gb MP3 DVD! The access time from folder to folder, and file to file is a bit slow, but overall I'm very happy.

Details: My comand has a Fujitsu TEN DVD ROM, MP3s were ripped at 320kbps using Apple Itunes.

Thanks Scorchie!!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
mac rules!
Old 12-11-2004, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by sunman
mac rules!
I second that
Old 12-11-2004, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Thumbs up Mac rules

mac rules!
All in favor..
Old 12-19-2004, 04:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
Yes also avoid the TDK DVD-R's. Could not read in 100% of the drives!! on two different pioneer drives in PCs and Macs!

The Sony DVD-RW works great however. Also I find the Apple pricing to be pretty reasonable, I think $35 for 25.

If you are burning DVD MP3's, was iTunes not a good option? Just choose to burn as MP3 Disc. I wasn't aware there was file system options for DVD-Video in iDVD and DVDSP3.

Edit: OOPS... MACS ROCK! =*)

Last edited by onpaws; 12-19-2004 at 04:55 AM. Reason: oops Macs Rock!
Old 12-19-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
some info from the manual. Do you have Toast for the Mac?

Originally Posted by levind
I have now made my 10th coaster for my '05 CDI.
Which should I use? Could my problem possibly be the Memorex DVDs? The Comand does the same thing each time. It spins for a while and displays disc error. A few times though it worked for a few minutes before quitting. MP3 CDs are no problem.

Thanks
My manual says that ISO 9660/Joliet is the only acceptable format. Ignore all of the ones that say HFS+, as that's a Macintosh file system.

I'd also suggest that you try burning in Disc-At-Once (DAO) mode if your software supports it, to avoid a situation where you leave the session open and forget to "close" it.

I'm typing this on a G4 Powerbook, and I'll tell you that I went out and bought Toast titanium for cases where I really wanted to control my burning. The Apple software is serviceable, but pretty basic.

I have the manual for COMAND with MP3:

Here what it says:
Tips on creating MP3 CD's:
CD's, software and hardware for writing audio data to CDs are widely available. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that COMAND will be able to play every user-written CD.

Problems may be encountered during playback of user-written CDs with a storage capacity of more than 700 MB. These CDs do not meet valid standards as of this printing.

Permissible MP3 CDs:
In MP3 mode COMAND can read CD-R and CD-RW CDs.

Permissible file systems:
The permitted file sysitem is ISO 9660/Joliet for CD-R and CD-RW.

Multi-session discs:
With multi-session discs, the content of the first session determines how COMAND treats the CD.

For example, if the first session contains data in audio CD format and the second session contains data in MP3 format, COMAND will treat the CD as a conventional audio CD.

File structure:
When creating an MP3 CD, you can organize MP3 tracks into folders. A folder can also contain additional folders.

A CD may have a maximum of 255 folders in total. A maximum of 255 tracks are permissible per folder.
[can't get away from those powers of two, I guess...]

Mathematically, a maximum of 65025 tracks would result. However this amount is usually not reached since MP3 requires approimately 1MB storage per minute recorded.

Track names and folder names:
When creating an MP3 CD, you can assign names to the MP3 tracks and folders. COMAND uses these names in MP3-mode for the corresponding display.

Please note the following when assigning track and folder names:
- Track and folders names must contain at least 1 character
- Track names may contain up to fifty characters. If a track name exceeds this character limit, COMAND will not be able to display it in full.
- Track names must have the file extension "mp3".
- A period must appear between the track name and the file extension.
Example of a correct track name:
Track1.mp3

In the example, the track name contains six characters, followed by a period and the file extension "mp3".

Empty folders or folders containing data other than MP3 tracks will not be displayed by COMAND.

If MP3 files are stored in the root directory itself, the root directory also counts as a folder. COMAND will then display the root directory name as a folder name.

COMAND does not support ID3 tags.

Permissible bit and scan rates:
-Fixed and variable bit rates up to 320 kbps
-Scan rates from 24 kHz - 48 kHz
Old 12-20-2004, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
mac rules!
You know . . . I am still on the fence on this one. I have a few dual processor G4s at school that I have to use all the time and then I have a few G3s. I even have a Mac SE 30 that I now use as a door stop to my classroom (just for old times sake). I also use PCs.

The worst thing about these systems is having to constantly switch back and forth between them!!! I keep on looking for menus that don't exist in the system I am using, but do in the other one.

But I am not ignorant enough to say that Macs are bad computers! In the education field, there are advantages and disadvantages to both!

I just had to throw my view! I still love to call Macs "macintrash" My father goes ballistic when I say that! :v If I want to ruin a family dinner during holydays, all I have to do is say something bad about Macs! Half of my family is totally PC and the other half is MAC! What can I say. . .

Steve