E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Upgrades

Hi Everyone,
I have just spoken to my dealership at Exeter in relation to the 'Upgrades' for my own S211 320 CDI Avantgarde. The lady I spoke to in the Service Department informs me that my particular model has had ELEVEN upgrades since it was first produced. My own vehicle is in need of four.

1. Navigation
2. COMAND
3. Central Gateway
4. Braking Unit

I jumped on the braking unit upgrade and wanted to know further details, unfortunately she had to find out the information and phone me back....... 5 minutes later ring, ring. The braking recall is evidently a fine tuning of the P005 SBC Recall. The parameters need to be reset or some such gobble de gook. I then asked if there was a problem with the SBC brakes. NO was the clear answer, I was assured that this was definitely NOT a safety issue. It is in NO way connected to any safety issue whatsoever and quite simply an adjustment of parameters.

My vehicle is now booked in to have the upgrades on the 12th January. The car will be collected and a courtesy vehicle left for the day.

This upgrade information is really only relevant to countries that have the Classic, Elegance and Avantgarde range of vehicles and then obviously COMAND upgrades only apply to vehicles that have this option.

Upgrades to other models of the 211 might be similar.

Regards,
John
Old 12-17-2004, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
[QUOTE=glojo]Hi Everyone,
I have just spoken to my dealership at Exeter in relation to the 'Upgrades' for my own S211 320 CDI Avantgarde. The lady I spoke to in the Service Department informs me that my particular model has had ELEVEN upgrades since it was first produced. My own vehicle is in need of four.

1. Navigation
2. COMAND
3. Central Gateway
4. Braking Unit

John,

I just had all these upgrades done on this last Tuesday. As you might recall, my navigation unit was locking up. My dealer is hardly ever backed up, so they took my car Monday afternoon and worked on it on Tuesday.

The Nav update had something to do with it locking up when you first started the car. Now, my Nav menu has options that I have not seen before. Once screen even says display type and has two "2D" options. It could be that 3D will be added later. There was also more customization available.

The command update was also to solve this locking up problem with the NAV system, but I also now can read MP3s with the single slot CD ROM unit. I have a 2004 car and unit, so no DVD player (I really would not need or use it anyway). I don’t have a chauffeur like you do (much less a MB Sprinter).

The SBC upgrade/recall was also done. Al software they said. I did not notice anything different, except that my MFD had all of its trip computer and trip meter reset.

The Central Gateway was checked, but I think that I had up to date software on it. I have no idea exactly what this one was for though.

The two things that are left to do are to put in the new power lock actuator on the driver's door (when the part comes in) and update the phone module.

I don't really consider these things to be too bad or annoying. I am very picky and I like to make sure everything works perfectly.

Just one thing, since I lost my navigation destinations, I needed to enter them all again! I have about 30 entries. The command unit locked up 2/3 of the way into the data entry procedure. I had to rebut the whole thing, but no information was lost.

I have a theory as what happened, but I am not sure. I think that since the command is designed to shut itself off after 30 minutes, it shut itself off while I was entering everything. I did not get the message saying it would, but that is because I was in a data entry screen. I sure hope this is why it does not happen again. I have not driven the car at all since Tuesday, but I will be in three states (NV, CO & NM) with it in the next two weeks. These 1000+ miles should show any error if there is one.

Finally!! 2 weeks of vacation. I know you must be able to relate John since you are one who has to rub in that you have to go get your pension! It must be nice!!

Steven Aguirre
Old 12-17-2004, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SAguirre
Finally!! 2 weeks of vacation. I know you must be able to relate John since you are one who has to rub in that you have to go get your pension! It must be nice!!
Hi Steve,
Hopefully these upgrades 'might' be similar, but my vehicle had both the Mp3 and SBC upgrades many, many months ago. The actual SBC Recall is logged by Mercedes-Benz UK as the P005. This is the recall that I believe US vehicles have had very recently?

My vehicle is now going in for a second SBC upgrade. It is not a problem just with my vehicle, it is something that will be carried out on all 211's in the UK as and when they go in for a service.

My dealer was 'surprised' that I knew about these upgrades and queried where I obtained the information.

I am touching wood as I type this because we have never had any problems with the navigation system or COMAND.

Regarding collecting my pension, that is a haggis eating, skirt wearing Scots person's sense of humour. He has more wrinkles than a five pound note, but I must show respect to my elders so I will not mock him in public . It is fair to say that I will not be seeing twenty one again, but old age has not descended upon my youthful body just yet.

Bye for now,
and take care,
Regards John
Old 12-17-2004, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Hey age is in the mind and I am an OLD FART at heart! All my friends are older than me. Especially my girlfriends, the older and richer the BETTER! O, having no living relatives to inherit their fortune is even better! J K.

When I read your thread I thought that you had already had the SBC update done, but I was not sure. I hope that my SBC recall (since it was just done) will also have whatever you are getting in January. You would think that they will update these things and give everything to you at once if you go later.

I totally enjoy your humor, but you should know that in spite of having a Basque last name (which in my father's origin). My mother is Scottish!! I should add that my ancestors left Scotland in the mid 1800s and came to greener pastures. I will visit Scotland one day, but I really don't know much about it. I have to go back and get in touch with my heritage! If I had my mother's last name, you would have gotten figured it out. Most people think that I am Hispanic because of my last name, but I sure don't look it. I don't know if that is good or bad.

O, the reason your nav. system never has acted up is because you don't drive out and about much If you had great wide-open highways over vast plains and high mountains like we do here, even your system would get lost and hang up (I'm sure )

Have a great one!

Steve Livingstone (notice there is an "E" at the end)
Old 12-17-2004, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

: but you should know that in spite of having a Basque last name (which in my father's origin). My mother is Scottish!! I should add that my ancestors left Scotland in the mid 1800s and came to greener pastures. notice there is an "E" at the end)

I'll quickly carry on hurling insults whilst Fastbuck is noticeable by his absence

In my experience most educated Scots flee their barren country as soon as they have managed to find a ladder long enough to allow them to scramble across my mate Adrian's Wall Your relatives are obviously no exception Ouch, (it only hurts when I laugh) Fastbuck is a nice bloke really.

Sadly most of our Government Ministers come from North of the Border and they are sucking out the life blood of our beautiful country and building horrible, hideous so called Parliamentary Buildings at a redicilous price back in there own country. I believe the bricks were made of gold and the windows must be clear diamonds

This is just one reference to my ramblings: *** AS MUCH as a quarter of the Ŗ431 million cost of the new home for the Scottish Parliament could be “wasted money.”
That was the conclusion of counsel to the Fraser Inquiry John Campbell QC as he quizzed the senior manager for the controversial project, Paul Curran, yesterday.
Mr Campbell speculated that delays and disruption may have cost the taxpayer “the wrong end of Ŗ100 million” for which the public had seen nothing in return.***

I think I am correct in saying the building is called Holyrood?

Sounds like a an Oriental version of Hollywood.

Woops best go before I insult the rest of the World.

Bye again,
John

P.S. Don't tell Fastbuck I wrote this!
Old 12-17-2004, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by glojo
I'll quickly carry on hurling insults whilst Fastbuck is noticeable by his absence
I'm BACK!!!

Fastbuck is a nice bloke really.
Never a truer word.

Sadly most of our Government Ministers come from North of the Border and they are sucking out the life blood of our beautiful country and building horrible, hideous so called Parliamentary Buildings at a redicilous price back in there own country. I believe the bricks were made of gold and the windows must be clear diamonds
You forgot the rubys on the roof to warn off low-flying aircraft!

This is just one reference to my ramblings: *** AS MUCH as a quarter of the Ŗ431 million cost of the new home for the Scottish Parliament could be “wasted money.”
Yes, a complete waste indeed.

I think I am correct in saying the building is called Holyrood?
Yes that's right. It's named after Queen Betty's summer retreat next door.

I would totally agree that this building was a scanelous waster of tax payer's money. The MSPs even wanted to have the bar that is inside restricted for their private use. Bunch of many grabbing turds!!!

Steve, out of interest. I live in a place in Scotland called Livingston (without the E)
Old 12-17-2004, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fastbuck
Steve, out of interest. I live in a place in Scotland called Livingston (without the E)
Eeee by gum lad!!

Hi Fastbuck,
No insults were really meant for your beautiful but cold proud country. I will be on the roof of that monstrousity plucking the rubies one by one.

Take care,
John
Old 12-17-2004, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm BACK!!!
There are a lot of places without the E, I guess that makes the names with the "E" that much more special!

Steve
Old 12-17-2004, 04:15 PM

No insults were really meant for your beautiful but cold proud country. I will be on the roof of that monstrousity plucking the rubies one by one.
No offence or even a gate taken!

Re plucking the rubies. You need to be on the hull. The roof is shaped like an upturned rowing boat.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Morning Fastbuck,
You should post that picture of your car parked outside your residence just to let Steve see a typical residence for the E-class owner in Scotland

Take care,
John
Old 12-18-2004, 06:32 AM

Morning Fastbuck,
You should post that picture of your car parked outside your residence just to let Steve see a typical residence for the E-class owner in Scotland

Take care,
John

Just for you John!!

Old 12-18-2004, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just for you John!!
Finally.........
Now I know where all my billions in tax has gone. I suppose you call it 'Mini Holyrood'

How long does it take for the 'butler' to answer the front door? (Not that I would ever be allowed to dare go to the FRONT door)

Is the window cleaning task (It must cost a fortune) similar to the poor man that paints the bridge over the River Clyde. By the time the job is finished they have to start all over?

Nice week-end retreat though
Regards,
Your humble, grovelling servant
John
Old 12-18-2004, 06:58 AM

Finally.........
Now I know where all my billions in tax has gone. I suppose you call it 'Mini Holyrood'

How long does it take for the 'butler' to answer the front door? (Not that I would ever be allowed to dare go to the FRONT door)

Is the window cleaning task (It must cost a fortune) similar to the poor man that paints the bridge over the River Clyde. By the time the job is finished they have to start all over?

Nice week-end retreat though
Regards,
Your humble, grovelling servant
John
As you know, it's just about being in the right place at the right time with a little bit of hard work. It takes some amount of time to keep it maintained, at times I feel a little incarcerated. The butler (man servant, handyman, village idiot) is getting a bit long in the tooth now. We bought a video entry system recently that cuts down on that long walk for him. At the same time we bought him a sit-on lawnmower for his Birthday!

We have a full time window cleaner. He's not the full shilling and as such does not really cost that much. We do most of our cooking when we are at home. However, I have organised some local caterers (NHS, very highly recommended) for Christmas as we are hosting a meal for around 60 friends and relatives.

BTW. It's the river Forth that has the bridge that gets constantly painted!

Regards
M
Old 12-18-2004, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As you know, it's just about being in the right place at the right time with a little bit of hard work. It takes some amount of time to keep it maintained, at times I feel a little incarcerated. The butler (man servant, handyman, village idiot) is getting a bit long in the tooth now. We bought a video entry system recently that cuts down on that long walk for him. At the same time we bought him a sit-on lawnmower for his Birthday!

BTW. It's the river Forth that has the bridge that gets constantly painted!

Regards
M
And I suppose you own the First, Second and Third rivers as well??? (just been doing my physio mega ouch!) Fancy me thinking it was the Clyde!

I would recommend you trade the sit on lawn mower and get a similar tractor mower to the onw we have!

John
Old 12-18-2004, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You chaps are a riot!
Old 12-18-2004, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One thing left to say to 'U'

This is what my cat thinks to your summer house

http://www.clublaugh.com/item.php?id=868&sort=title

Regards,
John
Old 12-18-2004, 12:54 PM

This is what my cat thinks to your summer house

http://www.clublaugh.com/item.php?id=868&sort=title

Regards,
John
Does it have feline flu?
Old 12-18-2004, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fastbuck,

I like your little house , I will post a picture of my mountain house in Vail soon. I will be driving up there tonight.

What I find fascinating is that you seem to find sunny and clear days to take pictures. How wonderful!

Steve
Old 12-19-2004, 04:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fastbuck,
What I find fascinating is that you seem to find sunny and clear days to take pictures. How wonderful!

Steve
We are talking Photoshop for those 'clear' blue skies. After all it is Scotland!

There is only one reason why the 'natives' wear and it 'aint' the sunshine.

Morning My Lord Fastbuck

John
Old 12-19-2004, 08:29 AM

We are talking Photoshop for those 'clear' blue skies. After all it is Scotland!

There is only one reason why the 'natives' wear and it 'aint' the sunshine.

Morning My Lord Fastbuck

John

No PS, all genuine.

It is usually always cold, but when it is not raining we have lots of clear skies particularly in spring and winter. Today is stunning, but you would end up peeing ice cubes if outside for too long.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No PS, all genuine.

It is usually always cold, but when it is not raining we have lots of clear skies particularly in spring and winter. Today is stunning, but you would end up peeing ice cubes if outside for too long.

I'm having a chuckle here because you have missed out the most important warm season. Here in the South-West we have beautiful summers, our Palm Tree's waft in the warm gentle summer breeze whilst we sit in the shade enjoying a nice Pina Colado (hope I've spelt it right)

If we 'wee' the proverbial ice cubes, it is usually done to the company we keep!!

I have distant memories of some happy times sitting on the shores of Loch Ness. It is a beautiful country and well worth a 'quick' visit.

We are having some easterly winds that are making the waves crash against the cliffs. Temperatures are about 5 degree's brrrr, but like yourself we are experiencing clear blue skies and nice sunshine.

Bye again,
John
Sunny but cold Torquay
Old 12-20-2004, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Our Poor Lifes

I must admit, I don't have a butler ( I have a hard time keeping house help ). I am so demanding and picky, that I have yet to find a good one. I have given up on the idea anyway, since in Vail Colorado it is frowned upon when one employs such house help. Life is very difficult!

John, 5 degrees Centigrade . . . sounds like summer to me! I am used to 5 degrees Fahrenheit. It is so cold and we get so much snow that our 200 meter driveway is murder to keep plowed. As a result, we burn our precious natural gas to run the radiant floor heat (on the driveway). Look at the picture; it does a smashing job (this part is for real). The only problem is the hump of snow and ice at the end of the driveway. You might guess why I am not a fan of lowering cars (it really would leave me hanging).

I am attaching some pictures of our beautiful fall foliage at 8,500 feet. I also like the part of the road that tends to have little avalanches picture attached. If you came visit, I will let you park there after it thaws and then refreezes. You will have plenty of ice to make yourself a "Piņa Colada" after you dig your car out. I truly tried to get a complete front end picture of our little family ski retreat, but my digital camera does not have a wide enough lens. I literally would fall off a cliff if I walked any further back. You see . . . life is really hard!!!

By the way, the skiing was great (if you like contiguously groomed runs). I am telling you, it is really hard.

Enjoy a bit of Colorado!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Upgrades-house-vertical.jpg   Upgrades-front-house.jpg   Upgrades-front-2.jpg   Upgrades-slide-area-hori.jpg   Upgrades-favorite.jpg  

Old 12-20-2004, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Absolutly beautiful Steve....................................... The car that is.
Jes kidding..... :p :p :p
Old 12-20-2004, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Absolutly beautiful Steve....................................... The car that is.
Jes kidding..... :p :p :p

It takes a GOURGEOUS "E" Class Mercedes to make this are beautiful! I totally agree! Although, some neighbor's G and S Mercedes do make the scenery nice too.

You know how people in Arizona say: "Its not the Heat, its the humidity" The same applies to Colorado. I find 5 degrees Fahrenheit totally OK, as long as the humidity is under 20%. It feels very comfortable! I grew up by the ocean, but with mountains like these, who can miss the salt and sand?

I'm glad you like Vail! I shared a gondola (enclosed ski lift) with Arnold Schwarzenegger the last year. I also see al lot of celebes. Pretty good for a nobody like me!

Steve
Old 12-20-2004, 01:20 AM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Very nice. My ex college roomate lives in Evergreen, CO. Very picturesque, but it's another level of cold out there, whoa! We went to school in Ithaca, NY and he still thinks its colder in CO, but much more sun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrades