E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Is long term ownership a good move for high mileage drivers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is long term ownership a good move for high mileage drivers?

I am in sales and drive my E quite a bit. Since I first drove it (first week of July) I have put 22,000 miles on it. I am looking forward and starting to debate about whether I should sell it and buy a new one after lets say three years (~120,000 miles) or should I continue to maintain and keep it longer.

What makes sense? Should I be prepared to be stranded every so often if I do keep it longer? Will the costs of maintenance be rediculous and not worth the hassle? Any other thoughts???
Old 12-20-2004, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
if you like the car, keep it, just make sure you propoerly maintain and take good care of it, and also consider an extended warranty, which would probably be a lot cheaper than buying a new car.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Any problems to this point? With 22K i'm sure you would have been subjected to any of the electrical or other "buggy" stuff already. If it's been solid you might be OK. As suggested, I would definitely get an extended warranty. With so many cars being lease/not kept long I think it's kinda cool to see a car trip the 100K mile mark. good luck.

BTW, i'm also in sales but have a Ford Taurus company car to beat on. But i've still managed to put almost 11K on my car and I got it in May. It's really hard to drive the Taurus LOL
Old 12-20-2004, 06:39 PM

The extended warranty is already done. A must have!

I have had a few electrical problems in the first hundred miles but nothing serious (check engine light). If I maintain the car, do you think 200K is reasonable? At 200K I would imagine the car would be worth almost nothing though so is it better to sell it around 100K, take the $20,000 and put it towards the next one?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:54 PM

2003 E-500
If I were you, I'd get the extended 100,000 mile seven year warranty before the end of your first year of ownership, keep the car for four years when you'd have your 100K miles at your annual useage rate and then decide if you want to keep it beyound the 100k mark depending on your personal experience with the vehicle. The warranty will give you an extra 40K miles of protection on most, but not all, items. Older MB's would go 200K easily without many major problems but the new ones have so much new electronics, it's really difficult to predict how long they will last. Keep us informed on your experience with your car as the mileage increases and on your decision. I'd be particularly interested in your reports of problems with the SBC system, COMAND, air suspension and drive train. The COMAND, unfortunately, is not covered by the extended warranty, but definitely should be in the opinon of many folks at the dealers. Maybe if enough of us complain, they will eventually cover it.