E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What should I consider when buying wheel locks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I consider when buying wheel locks?

Are all wheel locks pretty much the same? Is there anything I need to consider when making a brand/type decision?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I need to buy two sets: one for my OEM rims and one for my snow/winter rims. They use two different length bolts. I think that $80.00 for locks at MB is a bit high, but I would still have to buy another set.

I will be watching to see what is suggested here. I am surprised that the TireRack does not sell them If I can not find a good deal on a good set I will buy them in Germany when I go back this summer. I just have to get a ride to the airport so that my wheels wont get stolen at the airport while I am in Germany! O, I forgot Denver International is a lot safer than Miami, but you never know.

Steve
Old 01-05-2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by luxury1
Are all wheel locks pretty much the same? Is there anything I need to consider when making a brand/type decision?
OK, I read this forum almost everyday and I have never found it that someone didn't know at least something about the topic at hand. Come on guys, share your knowledge!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
OK, I read this forum almost everyday and I have never found it that someone didn't know at least something about the topic at hand. Come on guys, share your knowledge!!!
Make sure there are 4 in the package....
Old 01-06-2005, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got McGuard (the same ones they sell at the dealer for $90) from SummitRacing.com for $28. MCG-28018.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:33 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by RedBaron
I got McGuard (the same ones they sell at the dealer for $90) from SummitRacing.com for $28. MCG-28018.
Here's my 2 cents on this.

THe McGuard sold as MB accessories supposedly are weighted as such that the wheels don't require rebalancing. Therefore, if the aftermarket 'McGuards' that are same as the MB accessories, then you should be safe.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GearHead; 01-06-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:17 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I don't have a lot of faith in wheel locks. IMO they only slow thieves down a few seconds.

You can buy universal wheel lock tools just about anywhere.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:12 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I have the McGuards that I bought from CALBenzo and they work great. CALBenzo, what are using on your nice new wheels?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:46 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Hey Atssytems,

How are you doing? Must be pretty cold in Canada right now.

Anyway, since the required lugs for the HRE's are longer than the OEM ones, Harris at Hartonmotorwerks got me some locks from Germany that I had to cut to size. They work great but you need a couple of sharp hacksaw blades.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:48 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by RedBaron
Wow, that is a bargain. I think I paid $80 at the dealership.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:09 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by CALBenzo
Hey Atssytems,

How are you doing? Must be pretty cold in Canada right now.

Anyway, since the required lugs for the HRE's are longer than the OEM ones, Harris at Hartonmotorwerks got me some locks from Germany that I had to cut to size. They work great but you need a couple of sharp hacksaw blades.
Yeah it is pretty cold.. Here is a live pic of what it looks like downtown (although this is facing away from downtown).

http://toronto.cbc.ca/media/webcam/webcam.html

and here is the highway (you guys call them freeways).

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/rescu/loc20.htm
Old 01-06-2005, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
not all wheel locks are the same...cheap locks = easy to steal wheels
i'd suggest buying the oem merc locks that fit your wheels
Old 01-06-2005, 01:39 PM

Take a look into our RAD locks. These are made in Germany by the folks who make bolts for BBS, OZ, Ronal, and dozens of other companies.
RAD locks come dacromet coated (a Spec REQUIRED by MB). And feature dozens of positive locking keys that WON'T strip.

These locks come in various lengths, great if you're running aftermarket wheels or spacers.

Visit our website for details.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
It might be that not much has changed since we last discussed this.

1) All wheel locks are relatively easy to defeat. It doesn't matter much whether they are expensive or cheap. There are some wheel/lock combinations that will be more difficult than others to remove (locks with a rotating head that fit close to the edge of the lug hole will require chiseling the top off instead of snapping it off). If you bring me a set, no matter what, I will show you how to get them off. If they are simple, like McGard, it takes 30 seconds. If they are difficult, it might take 5-10 minutes (depending on how much damage to the wheel is acceptable). So the key is slowing the potential thief down, not assuming they cannot be bypassed.

2) McGards will eventually deform and rust. It depends on how often you remove the wheels and what your climate is. But the construction and operational design promotes this. Putting 110lbs torque onto a small area like that is bound to deform metal.

3) If you can fit locks at all lug locations, it will slow a potential thief down more and remove allegations of misbalance. Note that many locks are not as strong or do not have the same stretch characteristics as stock bolts, so require different treatment.

With that in mind, I think there are two suitable solutions at reasonable cost. Both are from Gorilla Automotive.

- Locking lugs. Their locking lugs are inexpensive, strong, and easy to get. They only come in one size applicable to a W211 with ball seat wheels, so if it is too long, they will need cutting; if it is too short, they won't work. I am pretty sure they are too long for the AMG wheels on the W211, and probably the sport rims and others as well. There are more size applications if you have cone seat wheels (many aftermarket rims are). These are also available as "The System" which makes every lug a lock (see next solution for more info).

- Small diameter lugs. These use a special key as well to be removed, and they come in a shorter length. I tend to use these. Having all five lugs different removes the balance issues that some claim, and slows a thief down more. These also cost only about $50 for a set of 20.

I actually prefer the Gorilla Guard style (rotating head) if you can get the edge of the lock close to the wheel. Unfortunately, it's not available as a lug (last I checked) so requires at least one stud be put on the wheel hub.

-s-
Old 01-06-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
here was a thread about someone coming back from the airport and hearing something, then they stopped and noticed that the 4 non-locked bolts were missing from one wheel and only the wheel lock was holding the wheel on. I think that the locks worked for this person this time.

Like Scorchie said, all locks can and will be defeated if they really want the wheels. I am probably going to buy two sets (one for each set of wheels). I am only going to put one lock per wheel and I own a torque wrench so that I never over tighten the lug bolts. Also, on a side note, do you have pictures of your 190E with command Scorchie???

If they really want the wheels that bad, then they can have the stupid things. I just hope it will deter them. I am only hoping to be protected from the amateur thieves.

Steve
Old 01-06-2005, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by SAguirre
here was a thread about someone coming back from the airport and hearing something, then they stopped and noticed that the 4 non-locked bolts were missing from one wheel and only the wheel lock was holding the wheel on. I think that the locks worked for this person this time.
That person probably did not want the wheels... they would not have removed 4 lugs first and left the locks!

I don't have many pics of the 190E since the COMAND was installed. Just when I first bought it. I figured I would wait until the new interior is in!

-s-
Old 01-06-2005, 02:59 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by SAguirre

Like Scorchie said, all locks can and will be defeated if they really want the wheels. I am probably going to buy two sets (one for each set of wheels). I am only going to put one lock per wheel and I own a torque wrench so that I never over tighten the lug bolts. Also, on a side note, do you have pictures of your 190E with command Scorchie???

If they really want the wheels that bad, then they can have the stupid things. I just hope it will deter them. I am only hoping to be protected from the amateur thieves.

Steve
I thought about your story after it was posted. I bet they removed those with the intention of bringing "some guy" back that can defeat that lock..
Old 01-06-2005, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by atssystems.com
I thought about your story after it was posted. I bet they removed those with the intention of bringing "some guy" back that can defeat that lock..
That story was not mine, but I read it on the board. I think that either way, if they wanted the wheels or not, they must have made noise or might have been spotted. I am sure they would have defeated the lock, but I bet you that if the lock had not been there, the wheels might have been long gone. Just my guess

Scorchie, I really loved my 1988 190E 2.3 - 16 that I had in Germany. That was one of my favorite MBs. I owned it at the same time had the 1991 300E stored in my garage at home in the US. But anyway, when you do have pictures, I would be really interested in seeing how it looks (just really curious).

Its these things that remind me I don't miss South Florida, I don't car how cold it gets here!

Steve