E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Infiniti's new M45, good competition?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW 550i
I would say, as the orginal poster of this thread was asking, that yes, the M45 will provide some competition for our vehicles. My experiences with Infiniti dealerships have actually been the best experiences that I have ever had, across several of them. True, they are certainly more hungry for sales (not including the G35), but it was refreshing, and I certainly would keep it in mind.

I also read the reviews, and it was relatively glowing. I'm sure that some of the euphoria is due to the fact that Infiniti didn't provide any REAL competition in this segment, and now they do. I believe the C&D article explicitly stated that a mathup is necessary to really see how it stacks up.

I think the interior is pretty sporty looking. And pictures that I have seen of the nav system blew me away. And that amount of power for a lower price. Competition is, and always will be, good for everyone!

The way I see this car is another stepping stone towards gaining a better reputation. The old model was a complete failure. This one I am sure will do much better.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:21 PM

2004 W211 - 2004 MV Agusta SPR
Gotta beat it with an ugly stick!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E-320
First off I fully respect everyone's opinion on this board, but I hear some of you guys talking about affordable cars and things like that. Now correct me if I am wrong but I seriously doubt that too many people buy a Mercedes-Benz because they are "Affordable". When you buy a Mercedes you buy it for the prestige, for the reputation, and for recognition that you receive when people see you pull up in benz. I have nothing against Infiniti, and I really think the G35 is a hot car (love the purrr that the engine makes). I just don’t think they say the same thing. Of course this is just my opinion on the matter.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:28 AM
Almost a Member!

06 E350 Wagon, 05 MINI Cooper S Convertible
No offense to anyone, but that is one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen. Looks a bit like a new Thunderbird. (not a good thing). I almost find it odd that someone who would be turned on by an E-Class would even consider looking at that thing.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:10 AM

996 Turbo
Good job in posting the old M45 pics!

The REAL M45 pictures

Old 01-09-2005, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by FInality
Good job in posting the old M45 pics!

The REAL M45 pictures

That exterior revision looks a lot better, but damn that interior looks hideous!!! Is that oven knob Infiniti's version of the BMW's I-drive? That’s so high up in the dash and just inviting for an accident!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:19 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Catelo
First off I fully respect everyone's opinion on this board, but I hear some of you guys talking about affordable cars and things like that. Now correct me if I am wrong but I seriously doubt that too many people buy a Mercedes-Benz because they are "Affordable". When you buy a Mercedes you buy it for the prestige, for the reputation, and for recognition that you receive when people see you pull up in benz. I have nothing against Infiniti, and I really think the G35 is a hot car (love the purrr that the engine makes). I just don’t think they say the same thing. Of course this is just my opinion on the matter.
That was once true but,it seems like the since the "C' class is being marketed as an affordable MB? Considering that the starting price on a "C" class sedan is from $29,700 to $38,000, no wonder you see so many of them out on the road these days. Yet, the G35 sedan has a starting price of $30,700. It seems that there are more "C" class sedans on the road than the G35 sedans.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:45 PM

2004 W211 - 2004 MV Agusta SPR
The "Real" pictures look better but it still looks like a Nissan to me...

Old 01-09-2005, 01:47 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
A very nice looking "Nissan". But..... it still does not have a special or luxury car look and the interior is nice but still missing something. Much, much better than the old M45 and at $50k loaded, not a bad deal.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:29 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
The new M45 design is sleepytime boring for what should be the #1 traffic-generator at Infiniti stores. The exterior is pleasant enough but nothing that you would look at twice. The interior design seems to be drinking from the same Koolaid as the current Q45:
http://www.infinitinews.com/multimed...9_2005_q45.jpg
... although without the hideous clash of colors. The interior has an odd '60s retro look to it, too.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
New M looks amazing to me, both inside and out. It does look like a bigger G, but considering the longtime German tradition of "same sausage, different lengths," I don't see a real problem with it. I don't think you'd mistake the G for the M upon seeing it in person, anyway.

German interiors being warm and fuzzy? Have y'all seen the new BMW interiors?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E-320
I actually saw that model at the Miami Auto Show. I did like the car alot, thought it was pretty smooth looking but it is still not a Benz, or a Beemer for that matter...
Old 01-09-2005, 11:57 PM

2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by Catelo
I actually saw that model at the Miami Auto Show. I did like the car alot, thought it was pretty smooth looking but it is still not a Benz, or a Beemer for that matter...
How right you are. It's an Infiniti.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Is M45 much cheaper? I test drove Q45 and wasn't impressed. Probably M45 is better. Upcoming Jaguar S type seems to be better looking inside and outside, so I will consider it first, after two year, when new car purchase is due. I didn't own Infiniti yet, but very dissatisfied with Lexus. I hope Inifinit is better.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:09 AM

2014 E350S4
Originally Posted by Dema
Is M45 much cheaper? I test drove Q45 and wasn't impressed. Probably M45 is better. Upcoming Jaguar S type seems to be better looking inside and outside, so I will consider it first, after two year, when new car purchase is due. I didn't own Infiniti yet, but very dissatisfied with Lexus. I hope Inifinit is better.
The Q45 is going to be redone, probably come back better than ever after a 2006MY absence.

Are there spy pics of the S-type? I haven't seen any. Don't even know when it's scheduled for an update or freshening.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Incendiary
The Q45 is going to be redone, probably come back better than ever after a 2006MY absence.

Are there spy pics of the S-type? I haven't seen any. Don't even know when it's scheduled for an update or freshening.
The S-Type was refreshed for the '05 model year- nothing too substantial- if you didn't know what to loook for, you'd likely miss it. I can't remember off the top of my head what the changes were, but I think part of it was added content without a higher price.

I don't think you'll be able to get the interior pictured above on a production M45: that interior is of the concept (really, how many people would buy a car with a white interior?). The actual car will have either black or beige leather with either the metal/metal-look trim of the concept or rosewood, like the photo below:

two nice things to notice : the sports pack comes with a variable geometry rear suspension that adjusts depending on cornering load and there are two speakers mounted on each seat- on either side of the head rest. Smart.
One (possibly) not so nice thing- the rear bench. It looks to me that there's a serious lack of rear leg room in the photo above. That's not good. And the middle seat looks even less comfortable than the S-Type's.

Back to the original question- is the new M good competition for the E? It should be. I haven't seen the car in real life, but I think it looks quite nice and it sounds impressive- final judgment will have to wait until I get a chance to drive one. Sure the label may not have the prestige of a Mercedes or BMW, but labels doesn't make one car better than another. People who actually put thought in their car buying decisions (seeing a car in person, test driving it, and being competently informed about it)- as opposed to simply saying that all Mercedes/BMW's/Brand of Your Choice is automatically superior than a car that can be associated with a 'lesser' brand– should give it some serious consideration.

Oh, and those of you who think the M is no good because it's a 'Nissan'- well, I guess I should reconsider that Omega I've been lusting after; I mean, it's just a glorified Swatch. It's quite fair to think something is better because you prefer the design of it. But deriding a product because of some association it may have with another brand is something else entirely.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:53 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
RohithT,
Great post and comments!!
Old 01-11-2005, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
If something is too good to be so, then...

I saw pricing for M today. Top configuration M45 Sport: $49,550. It looks really suspicious. Infiniti has usually no options, so it includes everything, more powerful engine, bunch of advanced elctronics including bird eye view nav and bluetooth, and it's almost $20K cheaper than fully loaded E500. What should we do? Sell our Es as fast as we can and buy M?
Old 01-11-2005, 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Originally Posted by Incendiary

I saw a prototype of new S-type. I do not know when it will be out, probably in 2006, but it's worth to wait for it. You can get some ideas viewing another Jaguar model:

Old 01-11-2005, 11:12 AM

I saw pricing for M today. Top configuration M45 Sport: $49,550. It looks really suspicious. Infiniti has usually no options, so it includes everything, more powerful engine, bunch of advanced elctronics including bird eye view nav and bluetooth, and it's almost $20K cheaper than fully loaded E500. What should we do? Sell our Es as fast as we can and buy M?
How about just enjoying what you have? There's nothing wrong with good, and the E500 is a great car.

Infinitis do have options (Acuras don't). Click here and go to 'Design Your M'. There are a lot of options. With the Tech Package (Nav, 14-speaker Bose surround sound, intelligent cruise control, lane departure warning, and choice of XM or Sirius sat radio; $4,200), Journey Pack- Sport (rear view backing up monitor and crash-sensing seatbelts; $1,700, and is required if you get the Tech Pack), and Rosewood trim ($600), you're looking at $56,660 for an M45 you're likely to see on the lot, and that's before you add the DVD monitor ($1,500), full-size spare ($300), or Aero kit ($1,390). Of course, these prices are subject to change. In addition to the features previously mentioned, the M45 Sport also comes standard with keyless start and ventilated front seats, which are pretty neat features.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:10 PM

2014 E350S4
I saw a prototype of new S-type. I do not know when it will be out, probably in 2006, but it's worth to wait for it. You can get some ideas viewing another Jaguar model:

Isn't that the XK?

EDIT: Re-reading your post, it seems you know it's not the S-Type.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:13 PM

2014 E350S4
That's base price and without destination charge. Including all options, M45 Sport is $59,930.00.