E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

7 speed - shift into optimum gear question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
So, although this is an amazing thread, how many people use the shift into optimum gear (by holding the shifter to the left for 2 secs)?
I do! I do! . . . Yes I actually use it, but not is the way you all might think I do. Just today in Vail, I was driving through the round-about and in order to get on I 70, you have to come around the roundabout and the hot-dog the throttle to get on the I 70 on ramp.

Since you can drive around the round about at about 30 MPH and with almost no throttle, you are in too high of a gear when you are in front of the on ramp torn off. So, just before I get to the turn off of the round about, I hold the stick to the left for 2 seconds and get the car into 2nd gear (while keeping my foot ready on the throttle). This makes a seamless downshift and makes my E320 bolt on to the on ramp and catch up to speed. If I did not do this, I would have to press the gas pedal much more and make the car jolt a bit.

When I use this feature, it works out very smoothly! I love it. But I also always use the "rest" button. I consider myself in the minority of MB driver's since I use or know about most of the features. My Cousin in Ohio can't even tell me what her average MPGs are on her 2003 E320. She does not know how to navigate the MFD menu!

Also, since I just got back from driving 300 miles plus in the mountains I actually kept track of how I downshift. On the uphill the car never even downshifted to 4th gear. The trick is to keep the RPMs above 3,000 (about 87 MPH. At this speed, the gasoline E320 can actually go up all the passes in 5th! My 300E never could. On the down hills, I put the car in 4th when I was at about 70 MPH. I know where the crests are and I use the up hills to slow me down before I downshift. I never once hit my brakes on the down hills. When there is traffic, that is a different story.

About the stick shift: I am 31 and I love a well ratioed manual gearbox. But I also like an automatic transmission that is easy to control and that is matched with a strong engine. My family has had mostly automatic cars. But I have had mostly stick shifts. We even owned a 1979 Porsche 928 stick shift (very rear car). Great car when it ran! Our Porsche 930 turbo was a 4-speed stick shift. My 190E 2.3-16 was a stick too. My Audi is a 5 speed and I will be replacing it with a new design TDI Jetta (Vento) wagon stick shift. There still are people out there driving stick shifts.

Steve A
Old 01-17-2005, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by scorchie
True that severe downshifting is no different really to the transmission than sever upshifting; however, if you only do one of them, then you are probably only putting 70-80% of the wear on the transmission than if you did downshift. The point isn't that it is hard or not; it is that it is additional wear and it causes the transmission to suffer more wear.

Holding a gear doesn't cause the wear; the shifting does. So, it you brake (with your brakes) to the desired speed, then down shift using the gas to match revs with your desired speed/gear, you will cause less wear than trying to "shock" the car to slow down with a downshift. This is how I use the gears to hold my speed in the mountains (as a snowboarder, I am there pretty often; plus, I live in California, not Kansas! ).

-s-
Totally agree!

Steve