Tele-Aid Reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Question Tele-Aid Reliability

Hi folks,
So far the shakedown of my E320CDI has been pretty uneventful. My dealer even installed a small Sirius antenna right in front of the Tele-Aid antenna as I requested.

Here's the question. Ever since they installed the Sirius, most of the time when I hit the "i" button and ask the system for a traffic report, it apologizes and tells me it doesn't know my location. If I ask a person, they can query the unit (presumably via in-band signaling on the call), and figure it out.

It's not clear to me when the GPS in the Tele-Aid is running. Is there a delay after starting the car when the Tele-Aid unit hasn't yet locked onto the GPS constellation?
Old 01-27-2005, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
I have had periodic "TeleAid Failure" messages. My service advisor told me that the GPS reciever does need to lock on to the satelite signal to work properly. He said that some of his clients who park in multi-story parking garages have reported this message consistantly when starting the car in that type of garage. I have a separate GPS that does take from one to five minutes to figure out where it is. It too does not work very well inside my home garage and will take much longer to lock on to the signals than outside.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
I wouldn't expect any GPS receiver (except perhaps differential GPS) to work inside a structure. The odd thing is that mine is doing this even when it has been parked in an open lot with no overhead obstructions, and never gave me this message before it went into the shop.

I suppose I'm wondering how often Tele-Aid says it can't locate people. I haven't received any failure messages yet.