E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2005 Comand in 2004 E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
ANy ideas on how I can make my COMAND stop workinf so they can replace it without thinking I wrecked it?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:18 AM

Tesla
Jamm two CD's into it.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by SAguirre
There are a bunch of things that are standard in US models that you have to pay extra for in Europe.

The trunk emblems and nomenclature were extra.
OH, you want front and REAR power windows! (I think that now the W211 has all 4 as standard).
The tinted stripe on the windshield was extra along with about 2 pages worth of stuff. This is when my family bought the W124.
In the UK all the above items are standard on the 211.

It is quite enlightening reading this whole thread and the references to 'ALL' E-class, when nearly always the author is referring solely to their specific country.

I believe there is a base model E-class taxi that some European countries sell, I cannot comment on either its options or price because it is not available in my own country.

COMAND
Again very much a country specific item. It is indeed only an option on all UK imported E-class. COckpit Management And Navigation Display is the UK official definition, but it no doubt varies from country to country. We cannot have COMAND without the navigation part because it is 'all or nothing'.

Now it is silly to say, "Oh but my country has far more items in the basic price!" because you get what you pay for. I love seeing the different variations on what is basically the same vehicle. The latest I have learnt is on the 'Avantgarde' I thought this was a specific model loaded with certain basic items and given the name 'Avantgarde'. Now I am informed that in some countries it comes with at least the pre-wiring for telephones and Parktronic? In my own country these are cost options?

We owe it to each other to realise that no two countries have the same base model and all countries choose what will be standard, optional, or not available. (Folding mirrors and SBC come to mind)

Just my two penarth (cents) worth
John
Old 02-02-2005, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Since my navigation is not working, hopefully that is what they will do to fix then. I would love to get MP3 capability, and I will tell my SA that to not hesitate to replace the unit if it means I can get it.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by glojo

Now it is silly to say, "Oh but my country has far more items in the basic price!" because you get what you pay for.

Just my two penarth (cents) worth
John
John, I think that you have spoken well about this. However, my point was to point out that in Germany most options are not standard. Then it was re-explained by rusnakmb that he really meant choices of options are not to be had in the US.

The interesting thing is that if I were to buy the same car I have with the same options I have in Germany, my car in the US is much cheaper. Even the VW cars are significantly cheaper when one compares apples to apples.

But this is another can or worms! About the features, it has now been the pattern in Germany that more of the standard features that they put on the US model versions are also standard for their market. However, their prices are still higher in spite of the weaker Dollar.

When my friends from Germany come to visit and take my cars, they always comment on how loaded they are with toys. Even my 1991 300E was very well equipped compared to the norm a few years ago in Germany. But for 1991, my 300E was miles ahead of the typical W124 (excluding taxis since they are bare bones) in Germany.

These are my two "centavos worth"

Steve