E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-15-2015, 04:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Help! Burning smell from heater at -25 C !!??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 4MATIC & 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
Help! Burning smell from heater at -25 C !!??

We've been enduring some rather "chilly" weather here in the Toronto area for the last while (i.e. -15 to -25 C). After my '04 E320 sits outside for a prolonged period of time, there have been 3 or 4 instances where I notice a distinct "burning" smell from the heating vents shortly after start-up - especially if the car has gotten extremely cold.

It usually happens 0-10 minutes after starting the engine, at about the time the heater starts to finally kick in (i.e. The heating system rests at a minimal fan setting until the engine can produce some heat, then it goes to full blast for a bit, then gradually steps down until the set temp is reached - the burning smell usually happens during the "full blast" stage). The smell continues for some 4-5 minutes, then gradually disappears. The best I can describe the smell as is as if someone turned on an electric heater that had been sitting a while, or maybe burning wires! But, it is definately a burning smell, not just heated air, even the kids in the back seats said something was burning!!

I "could" expect this were my car a CDI with the electric booster heater, but to my best knowledge, my "regular" E320 does not have such a device. I would take it to the dealer, but I would need to have both a fridgid day and the time to leave it there long enough to get into the frozen condition when the symptoms appear. That may not happen this year, so I am doubtful they would be able to experience it happening! The only fix therefore would be for them to examine the entire car inside and out for anything that might have burnt.

Anyone have any ideas??
Old 01-29-2005, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I have a really sensitive nose and I have had my 04 E320 in similar temperatures for weeks at a time. I never smelled anything. The heater still starts to work unusually fast, maybe there is an auxiliary heater?

Seeing that you in Canada I guess you can rule out the possibility of having mold on the core from the A/C. This was a hateful problem when I lived in Florida. The few times I turned either the house or the car's heater it killed me with the stench!

Sorry I could not help,

Steve