E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Can one key operate two cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CASL55
Presumably, the car doesn't interrogate the key in any way that can uniquely identify the vehicle.

English doesnt work ......
Old 02-07-2005, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by BudC
Read my post above. It's not what they could have done, it's what they did do.
Hmm, I'm sorry... I wasn't addressing you, so I had not read your post yet... so I read it now. Still don't understand.

-s-
Old 02-07-2005, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by JimPurdy
There are multiple issues here. The key usually opens the door with a radio pulse that a reciever in the car reads. The key is programmed to "talk" to this reciever. I suppose the car reciever could be reprogrammed to "listen" for a different key. The ignition recepticle uses infrared to read a bar code inside the key. Remember the old 202 and 210 models that came with an emergency key that didn't have the transmitter but had the valet key and would start the car? That key had the bar code inside so the car could read it and start. Again, the car computer would have to be reprogrammed. Now, the door and other physical locks would have to be changed to match the different valet key. This would be a lot of change to the car, not the key, to make one key work for multiple cars.

Jim
There's no bar code reader in the car. It works off RF. If you don't believe me, spray paint your entire key with black paint. Let it dry first. Then use it to start your car.

-s-
Old 02-07-2005, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by CASL55
The keys to my two Mercedes are identical to me, but not to the cars. I've got them on different places on the key ring, but I sometimes try to use the wrong one.
Jim
Hi Jim,
Another member has already suggested a different coloured plastic insert, and as Hell ona Harley has stated, "A picture paints a thousand words"

This link will show you exactly what we are talking about.

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1456

Good luck,
John

A sunny morning in Torquay
Old 02-07-2005, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
i have no statistics to back me up, but as far as i know mercs are the hardest cars to steal? at least in most parts of the world where car thieves are still stealing japanese cars. no modern merc can be started up using a physical key, and no dealer can "cut" you a new key. although i can imagine it might be possible, if you could read off the data in the key, to make a completely identical one, this would probably be time-consuming and require some real expertise.

so with all due respect i quite doubt miraj's post, at least in relation to new mercedes. i think mostly what happens is the people break into someone's house and gets the key, then drives off. no amount of key-based security can stop that! it's worthy to note that there's a huge car-stealing business in this part of the world, but despite the prevalence of mercedes and their obviousness as a target, i've never heard of one stolen (Land Cruisers are the most "successfully" stolen -- not that they're insecure, but they're desirable and relatively not that difficult to fool :P)
Old 02-07-2005, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by ruykava
i have no statistics to back me up, but as far as i know mercs are the hardest cars to steal? at least in most parts of the world where car thieves are still stealing japanese cars. no modern merc can be started up using a physical key, and no dealer can "cut" you a new key. although i can imagine it might be possible, if you could read off the data in the key, to make a completely identical one, this would probably be time-consuming and require some real expertise.
Hi ruykava,
I'm with you on this one. I have researched the subject and have mainly come up with rumour and theories.

The 'key' cannot be cut. You must order a replacement through your dealer and this then creates a 'paper' chain.

I have found a case where a very nice S55AMG was stolen to order. The thiefs bribed a storesperson at a Mercedes-Benz dealership to get the correct key. The car was stolen but the thiefs were soon caught because the Police logged into the Mercedes-Benz database, discovered a key was cut, they then had the dealers name and the employee that ordered the key. The employee tried to say he had ordered it for the customer, but unfortunately no one believed him.

I have heard people claim you can buy an ECU plus key from a car breakers and fit this before stealing the vehicle. I am not qualified to deny this, but what we are talking about is the roadside theft of the vehicle, and the only recorded methods I have found are either the lifting of the vehicle, (dolly, or flatbed. Car jacking (where the owner is dragged out of the vehicle) or theft of keys from either the person, changing rooms or home address. I have not yet heard of anyone stealing this vehicle without the correct keys. (I supppose replacement ECU and new key will be classed as correct key)

There no doubt will be folks that say I know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone that has stolen a 211 without using the correct keys. Good luck to them.

Regards,
John
Old 02-07-2005, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by scorchie
That's weird that it can't be done. Because on my 300E (W124), it uses two keys to operate it (one for the ignition and one for the door... they are different). I would think that if that's the case, then on other cars you could use one key for two cars.

-s-
I am surprised that you are comparing the W124 key with the W211 system. If your W124 needs two keys, that means that the ignition tumbler was probably changed. If you key chain was very heavy, they could fail and would require changing. If you had a lazy shop doing the work, then they would give you a new tumbler and key. If the shop was good, then they would re-key the tumbler to the original door key.

This might be a big problem if you had a tumbler changed and you order a new key from the factory according to your VIN. If you do, then you will get a door key and no ignition key since the factory does not know what code the new tumbler has.

Steve