E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear airmatic lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Rear airmatic lowering

Can someone post the pics of the rear airmatic sensor and where to notch it? The pictures from the old posts no longer showup.
thanks!!
Old 02-05-2005, 11:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 E55
Rear airmatic lowering pics

Try to get these pics posted. Don't know why the old post does not work anymore.
Attached Thumbnails Rear airmatic lowering-pre-drilled-sensor-holes.jpg   Rear airmatic lowering-sensor-holes-post-slotting.jpg   Rear airmatic lowering-sensor-reinstalled-into-new-position.jpg   Rear airmatic lowering-final-product.jpg  
Old 02-05-2005, 11:05 PM

'05 E55
Can't quite get used to how these pics are now posting. Used to be easier. The pics are looking up under the rear sway bar, just to the driver's side of the middle of the car. The first pic is after removing the two nuts on the underside of the sensor bracket attachment. The next pic is after the holes have been slotted DOWN about .25 of an inch. The next pic is after reattaching the nuts in the new slotted position. Finally, the finished product...can't figure out why everyone does not do it.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:12 PM

'05 E55
Front end lowering

Thought I would repost pics of the front as well. The front is much easier. The first pics generally shows where the sensors are. The next one shows the sensor bracket in the stock form. The next shows the 4 small washers attached to the underside of the bracket. The front is really easy to do. The rear is a bit more work, mostly just finding the damn sensor mount nuts.
Attached Thumbnails Rear airmatic lowering-location-front-sensors.jpg   Rear airmatic lowering-front-sensors-pre-washers.jpg   Rear airmatic lowering-front-sensor-post-washers.jpg  
Old 02-05-2005, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by EPower
The next pic is after the holes have been slotted DOWN about .25 of an inch. The next pic is after reattaching the nuts in the new slotted position. Finally, the finished product...can't figure out why everyone does not do it.
EPower... Slotting the hole by .25 gives you a .25 drop??? How much of a drop did you get doing this??? Are all mods being done on JUSTthe sensor brackets (front and rear) or actual structual members of your car????
Old 02-05-2005, 11:54 PM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
EPower... Slotting the hole by .25 gives you a .25 drop??? How much of a drop did you get doing this??? Are all mods being done on JUSTthe sensor brackets (front and rear) or actual structual members of your car????
No, the .25 inch slot gives you about 1.5 inches of drop! It really does not take much movement of the sensor at all to drop the car. You could go more in the rear if you wanted. I went with this because the rear drop equalled what I got the front to lower using the washers. You really can not go any lower in the front using the simple washer method because you run out of thread on the bolt after four washers.

No stuctural or other suspension changes at all! That's why is it so easy and safe to do. The slight change in mounting position of the sensors adjusts the relative ride height, and no other suspension changes or modifications are necessary. What is nice is that if you do not like the change, or want to put back to stock, it's about a 30 minute job...
Old 02-06-2005, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
One more question.... I assume you had to have the car realigned after the mod???? How low do you suppose you can you drop the car without the realignment???
Old 02-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Just bought my Dremel tool and I'm getting ready to do this. Any last words of advice?
Old 02-06-2005, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
Just bought my Dremel tool and I'm getting ready to do this. Any last words of advice?
Hold on to that dremel tight and wear your saftey glasses.....
Old 02-06-2005, 05:25 PM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
One more question.... I assume you had to have the car realigned after the mod???? How low do you suppose you can you drop the car without the realignment???
No, actually I did not align after lowering, and it rode perfect. Tire wear on the Goodyear F1's was absolutely even. I had no such luck when I lowered my 540, which needed camber kit, alignment, etc. I recently did put new tires on the E, and did get an alignment. I was actually a little worried because everything had been perfect without the alignment. But after about 5,000 miles on the new PS-2's, all is well. I would say that this drop of about 1.5 inches front and rear is probably all you could do without certainly needing an alignment and maybe camber kit. have fun....
Old 02-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Well, I'm half way through the project and the washers I bought are too small so I only have the rear done. This means that the front is like raised like a 4x4 and the rears are almost slammed.

Was going to go to Home Depot to get bigger washers but car is saying "Stop, Car Too Low".
Old 02-08-2005, 09:02 PM

'08 S550 '09 C350 '06 C280
Wow...make u sure ur slots are even. I don't think I have the cajones to do that.

Enjoy,
TB
Old 02-09-2005, 04:44 PM

CLS55
take a pic!

hope you were able to get the correct size washers...what size did you need?

Well, I'm half way through the project and the washers I bought are too small so I only have the rear done. This means that the front is like raised like a 4x4 and the rears are almost slammed.

Was going to go to Home Depot to get bigger washers but car is saying "Stop, Car Too Low".
Old 02-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
I ended up getting 1/4" flat washers. I first bought #8 washers but were just a tad too small. Used four for each side and was so easy to do. The rear was easy as well with the Dremel but I went through three different bits to finally get it down far enough.

The problem is that my car is not perfectly level. There is about a 5/8" difference from the driver and passenger side.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:18 PM

'07 s550 4matic
Does the car need to be raised to do the rear adjustments?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:13 PM

Received 261 Likes on 154 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Back the car up some wheel ramps

I considered lowering my E500 4MATIC but I was having trouble with the OE tires cupping. I decided to keep the car stock until I am convinced that the latest alignment is okay and the new tires installed at 44K miles are wearing evenly. If you back the car up on some plastic Rhino Ramps, you will be able to access the bracket shown in the posts above.

Originally Posted by hotwiredbenz
Does the car need to be raised to do the rear adjustments?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 PM

'07 s550 4matic
how do you access the brackets in the front? Took a look at my car today and it doesnt look like something thats easy to access without removing the wheels.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:29 PM

'03 E500
just jack it up in the front a bit. you should be able to reach your whole arm in there. Once you get it, i promise you'll be able to do it again in like 5 minutes the next time you adjust.

I'm doing to this again. Last time I didn't put enough washers cuz I was close to running out of thread. How much thread to you all have left when putting the nut on? Also, how much does a dremel typically cost? Gonna attempt the back this weekend.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by monstaloc
just jack it up in the front a bit. you should be able to reach your whole arm in there. Once you get it, i promise you'll be able to do it again in like 5 minutes the next time you adjust.

I'm doing to this again. Last time I didn't put enough washers cuz I was close to running out of thread. How much thread to you all have left when putting the nut on? Also, how much does a dremel typically cost? Gonna attempt the back this weekend.
Don't do the washers. If you do not want to buy a module, then modify the bracket. For the rear, you do not need a dremel. You can literally bend the bracket that the sensor sits on. Just undo the bolts and bend it a hair at a time and then redo the bolts till you get it right. Keep in mind that you want to push up in the rear to lower, while you want to pull down up front to lower.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:16 PM

'03 E500
As I was reading other posts, I was going to dremel out the bolt up front and put a longer one in there.

But are you saying I can achieve lowering the front and rear of the car just by bending the bracket? I haven't been under the car so I really don't know what the sensor looks like. From the picture, it looks like some kind of plate.

SO push up in the rear or pull down in the front to lower. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:06 AM

'07 s550 4matic
I ended up getting 1/4" flat washers. I first bought #8 washers but were just a tad too small. Used four for each side and was so easy to do. The rear was easy as well with the Dremel but I went through three different bits to finally get it down far enough.

The problem is that my car is not perfectly level. There is about a 5/8" difference from the driver and passenger side.

I've noticed that my rear is not perfectly level either (both before and after drop). The passenger side is about 1/4" higher. Since there is only one sensor in the rear, is there any way to correct this?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by hotwiredbenz
I've noticed that my rear is not perfectly level either (both before and after drop). The passenger side is about 1/4" higher. Since there is only one sensor in the rear, is there any way to correct this?
Unfortunately, this is a sign of possible bending or wear on a component. I'd get a dealer to look at it and plan to pay for the fix. A little thing like a swab bar mount being broken or bent can cause it, but 1/4 inch diff is significant to me.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 E500 Blk Opal/Stone, 321 AMG Package, Lighting Package, Harmon K., Parktronic, Keyless Go, Nav
Originally Posted by jangy
Don't do the washers. If you do not want to buy a module, then modify the bracket. For the rear, you do not need a dremel. You can literally bend the bracket that the sensor sits on. Just undo the bolts and bend it a hair at a time and then redo the bolts till you get it right. Keep in mind that you want to push up in the rear to lower, while you want to pull down up front to lower.
Buy a module? Modify the bracket?

I did the washers... put 5 of them up there. Lowered about 1.2" in the front. Dremeled the rear sensor bracket for a slight rake.

I want to go lower in the front. What's this buy a module or modify the bracket business?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by beanieBenz
Buy a module? Modify the bracket?

I did the washers... put 5 of them up there. Lowered about 1.2" in the front. Dremeled the rear sensor bracket for a slight rake.

I want to go lower in the front. What's this buy a module or modify the bracket business?
Buy a RENNTech Module for $1150 and you can set how low you want it.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 E500 Blk Opal/Stone, 321 AMG Package, Lighting Package, Harmon K., Parktronic, Keyless Go, Nav
Originally Posted by jangy
Buy a RENNTech Module for $1150 and you can set how low you want it.
$1150.00 ouch! Can you point me in the direction for info on the bracket? :P

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear airmatic lowering