E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Retro-fitting "REST" feature on non-"REST" 2005 car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2005 | 10:29 PM

2018 S450, 2019 Range Rover LWB, 2015 Range Rover, 2019 S560 Cabriolet (awaiting delivery)
1) In case this is turning into a poll...I use the REST feature regularly. In the winter to maintain some heat while running errands, and in the summer keep things a little cool while doing the same (obviously, since that what it was designed for).

2) In my PRINTED BROCHURE which I received from my dealer, one thing I noticed before I took delivery of the car is that the REST button was missing in the pictures of the climate control system (for both the digital version and the dial version) and the REST feature was not highlighted as a bullet point in the rear of the brochure under Climate Control. Distinctly different from the 2004MY brochure, which I relied on when deciding between an '04 & '05. (Much to my satisfaction, my '05 came in WITH the REST feature).

3) On a similar note, but perhaps unrelated to this thread, anywhere that the center console/cup holders are photographed or mentioned in the '05 brochure, the disclaimer "Console and cupholder design subject to change during model year 2005 production" appears. (Also, much to my satisfaction, I have the "butterfly" console).

This being said, and in reference to the good point made by Hell on a Harley, I ordered the car knowing that it may lack REST and have a redesigned center console.

Even though the MBUSA website might contain some "falsehoods", the guys in the print media department got these things right.
Old 02-08-2005 | 02:16 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Sometimes you're better off being more luckey than smart. In '02 I fell inlove with the 211. Having owned lots of MBs over the years I knew the risks of launch year models but I just had to have one. By the time I was ready to order I was into late '03 production. I hesitate to say it but I've got a gem '03 E500. Everything I ordered plus they threw in heated seats and wheel. No problems and no decontenting - the thing came with everything. I love the car and just started using the "Rest" feature after all these years of having one. I hope you get yours resolved because it's too good a car to let a small feature ruin the experience. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2005 | 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
For those of you who are not long time Mercedes owners, there is a feature that's been on Mercedes for years that permits the implementation of the Rest feature. This is the axillary water pump. This is an electric pump that sits in line between the radiator and the heater core. This device runs when the heater is on and the car is idling. It keeps hot coolant flowing through the heater core. The pump runs when the Rest feature is on to pump coolant through the hot block to the heater core.

The axillary water pump has also been used for other things such as circulating coolant after you shut the engine down in hot weather. This combines with the electric fan(s) to cool the engine. Lesser cars (everybody else) simply run the fan(s) which may cool the coolant in the radiator but doesn't do much for the engine block. Mercedes use the axillary pump to circulate coolant through the block after the engine is shut down in hot weather.

Just remember this. An overwhelming percentage of automotive inventions have come from Daimler-Benz. Many of which they give away (safety features) without collecting patent fees.
Old 02-10-2005 | 12:13 AM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
Hi BudC
What needs to be done and how much does it cost to get the REST feature working in a 05 E500 that does not have the option?
Old 03-09-2005 | 11:56 AM

2017 E300W
Originally Posted by miroj
You can make an appoinment with a service representative at a dealership and flick through WIS and look at the W203 REST retrofit. You can reference STARTECK yourself ..... you can look carefully at a car that has it. http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/subscribe.jsp
Since this is still promoted as a standard feature, I plan to formally ask that MBUSA install it. Is there a reference or bulliten number for this that I can include in my correspondence? Thanks.
Old 03-15-2005 | 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250D
I am fairly certain that it can be retrofitted as it can on the w203 like Miroj said. IT would require replacement of the center control unit, a small wire harness, pump, and some new hoses. I am not sure how well it would work on a diesel car though since it doesn't get very hot in the first place. YOu can also spend more bucks and get the stationary heating system with heater booster for diesel benz cars. It's a expensive alternative but much more advanced and timer controlled/remote controlled/ with a heater booster to give instant heat inside the cabin
Old 03-21-2005 | 10:00 AM

2017 E300W
Originally Posted by TPAbnz
Since this is still promoted as a standard feature, I plan to formally ask that MBUSA install it. Is there a reference or bulliten number for this that I can include in my correspondence? Thanks.
Can anyone hep with the MB Bulletin number? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2005 | 10:55 PM

2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
MBUSA is not very cooperative on this matter...

I spoke with MBUSA and they "read from the card"....

MB Rep. Robyn Letz: "Any features can be deleted without any notice"

so I asked, "what about the next feature on the list, power windows, could it be deleted without notice?"

MB Rep: "All Mercedes have power windows"

me: "I know, my point exactly, where do you draw the line on advertising features that don't exist? How about absolutely no false or misleading advertising, especially over 8 months after a feature being deleted?"

MB Rep: "All I can do is ...blah.....blah......blah"

BTW sunman this feature should work well on a Diesel, probably better (as time parked increases) than on an aluminum block gas engine because the block is cast iron and bigger....a lot more thermal mass.

KB
Old 03-21-2005 | 11:06 PM

2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
If you are curious to know how well REST would work...

Just leave the key switched on. Leave the heater on your setting (even all the way hot) on a cold day.

The electric pump will recirculate coolant through the heater core with the engine off.

You will be surprised at how effective (and sorely missed) feature this is if you make short stops in bitter cold weather.

You can fake REST, its a pain, but here's how:

1) Remove metal valet key from your electronic key.
2) Leave key in #2 position, with temp on your desired setting.
3) Open window.
4) Open door and get out of car.
5) Close door with window still open.
6) Reach in, lock car with button on center console.
7) Use auto-up power window feature to lock yourself out.

You get back into the car with the valet key.

Downside:
1) Breaking glass to steal car is easy.
2) Extra drain on battery.
3) Needlessly putting hours on ECU and other electronics in the car.
4) As mentioned above, pain in the ****.

KB

Last edited by cdiken; 03-21-2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2005 | 11:20 PM

Since this is still promoted as a standard feature, I plan to formally ask that MBUSA install it.
HAHAHAHAHA!

That's just what MBUSA will say...which is why I will not buy another MB -- been there, done that. They take their customers for granted.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Old 03-22-2005 | 12:46 AM

'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
As we picked up our cars within a week of each other, I'll follow suit if we have a plan. I'm reluctant to take the traditional American "suit route" and try in court, but I do keep getting these settlement coupons from my long distance and satellilte TV providers...

If you decide to correspond formally, please feel free to let me know and I'll duplicate it.

We could also try Planet Feedback, but I don't remember whether MBUSA is a customer of theirs. It's a service that parses and categorizes customer mail to provide market insight to firms.
Old 03-22-2005 | 01:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pa28pilot
As we picked up our cars within a week of each other, I'll follow suit if we have a plan. I'm reluctant to take the traditional American "suit route" and try in court, but I do keep getting these settlement coupons from my long distance and satellilte TV providers...

If you decide to correspond formally, please feel free to let me know and I'll duplicate it.

We could also try Planet Feedback, but I don't remember whether MBUSA is a customer of theirs. It's a service that parses and categorizes customer mail to provide market insight to firms.
sounds like a dumb idea at best.
Old 03-22-2005 | 06:19 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
JUst curious Do Bimmers or Land Rovers or Lexus have this feature?
Old 03-22-2005 | 11:05 AM

2017 E300W
Check you PM.
Old 03-22-2005 | 05:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by cdiken
I have a '05 CDI built 08/2004. It did not show up with "REST" even though at the time I ordered, and to this day, literature advertises "REST" as a standard feature.
Since this is still promoted as a standard feature, I plan to formally ask that MBUSA install it.
If you decide to correspond formally, please feel free to let me know and I'll duplicate it. We could also try Planet Feedback, but I don't remember whether MBUSA is a customer of theirs. It's a service that parses and categorizes customer mail to provide market insight to firms.
I have posted this before in checking into features removed and/or not on vehicles when the corresponding literature says it should be. Here is how the legality of the issue folds out:

If the dealer makes an oral or written promise to an individual buyer regarding features which would be included on the vehicle that buyer is purchasing and then the vehicle provided does not have these features, then that is a breach of contract. Since new automobiles are almost always sold with written contracts, it is up to the buyer to see to it that the written agreements include the promise for the desired features. If the buyer signed a purchase agreement without such a promise, then there is no breach of contract. The advertising is irrelevant.

If you are still steadfast in making your dissatisfaction known to MBUSA, post or PM your email address and I will forward the pertinent contacts rather than approaching this unprofessionally. No guarantee that you will get what you’re looking for but at least your concerns would have reached the right people.

BTW, Planet Feedback does list MBUSA but as it concerns your particular issue I do not think this avenue will help much - if any. http://www.planetfeedback.com/shared...e-desc,00.html

Last edited by konigstiger; 03-22-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2005 | 12:28 AM

'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by konigstiger
I have posted this before in checking into features removed and/or not on vehicles when the corresponding literature says it should be. Here is how the legality of the issue folds out:

[cogent summary of basic contract law deleted]

If you are still steadfast in making your dissatisfaction known to MBUSA, post or PM your email address and I will forward the pertinent contacts rather than approaching this unprofessionally. No guarantee that you will get what you’re looking for but at least your concerns would have reached the right people.

BTW, Planet Feedback does list MBUSA but as it concerns your particular issue I do not think this avenue will help much - if any. http://www.planetfeedback.com/shared...e-desc,00.html
kongstiger, I have read your previous thoughtful posts on the general topic, and I generally agree with your overall assessment. Though I have an intellectual appreciation of the issue, I'm still annoyed. I suppose my frustration derives from having several features deleted right in the middle of my ordering process, and others still hanging. (My dealer reserved and promised me a matching old-style console, but it's not clear they know how to perform the swap, due to wire/fiber runs.)

I have some personal insight into the Planet Feedback service (I used to be affiliated with one of their acquiror's investors.). I know MBUSA is listed for submission. What I don't know is whether they're actually reading the data on the back end.

Planet Feedback (and their parent, Intelliseek) have a set of powerful analytical tools that run against message boards and chat rooms to tell manufacturers how they're doing in the public sentiment department, and which vehicle issues are the most troublesome. I'll cross my fingers.
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
If you are still steadfast in making your dissatisfaction known to MBUSA, post or PM your email address and I will forward the pertinent contacts rather than approaching this unprofessionally.
This is where I call it BS. MBUSA's Customer Service department should be as far as anyone should have to go to express their dissatisfaction with a MB product. THAT is the "professional" way to approach it. Instead, MB uses the Customer Service hotline to wear down complaining customers. They reverse the table and attack the customer by contesting that all problems are the fault of the customer -- if the vehicle was not delivered as expected, then it is your fault if there are changed and/or ommited items. THAT IS BS!

Then, according to people like konigstiger, who is either an incredible sucker or an employee of MBUSA, the "professional" approach is to jump through hoops for the pleasure of the "pertinent contacts" before MBUSA takes you seriously. THAT IS BS!

As I said, fool me once... I have had my share of MBUSA BS and I will not continue to play their BS game for the price I've paid for my car. So, I'll concede and drive my car until I sell it. But, I will not ever play this game with them again.

MB takes their customers for granted. They do not take their customers seriously until they jump through hoops...the "professional" way. And as long as customers take advice from konigstiger such as this, they will continue to play that game.
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Baby Jocko
.................. MB takes their customers for granted. They do not take their customers seriously until they jump through hoops...the "professional" way. And as long as customers take advice from konigstiger such as this, they will continue to play that game.
Geez you sound like you have your own Kompressor blowing air into that windbag.

Its a freekin heater - it runs for 20 min or less and you claim it makes your purchase invalid ? Most of the time it wont even run for 5 min because it will switch off when it is the same preset as the air temp.

I bet there are 30 or 40 things they took out since the W210. One of them being illuminated visors where the light was on the visor not the roof where it gets blocked by the cover piece.

Old 03-23-2005 | 02:13 AM

I wasn't specifically referring to the REST feature. I was speaking in general terms of dissatisfaction and how to convey that dissatisfaction to MBUSA.

Pay attention
Old 03-23-2005 | 02:30 AM
Banned

I wasn't specifically referring to the REST feature. I was speaking in general terms of dissatisfaction and how to convey that dissatisfaction to MBUSA.

Pay attention
.... someone should wake me up after each rant. Has it ever crossed your mind that your satisfaction has nothing to do with cars at all ?
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Then, according to people like konigstiger, who is either an incredible sucker or an employee of MBUSA, the "professional" approach is to jump through hoops for the pleasure of the "pertinent contacts" before MBUSA takes you seriously. MB takes their customers for granted. They do not take their customers seriously until they jump through hoops...the "professional" way. And as long as customers take advice from konigstiger such as this, they will continue to play that game.
Did I mention unprofessional?