E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E350 Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL320 CDI; 2005 E320; 2004 911 Cab
E350 Engine

Hello. I知 thinking about purchasing a new E and wondering if I should wait for the E350. I am concerned with some board discussion that the 350 engine is too new and may have many issues. My salesman informs me that this engine has been in the SLK for a year and has been very reliable. Is this information correct? Any comments?

I知 also thinking about the ability to get a good deal. It seems to me that it may be late summer before the dealers are willing to give a great deal (e.g. near or below invoice) on an E350. Is this thinking correct, or flawed?

Any other comments are appreciated. I知 specifically looking at a 4matic sedan (yes, I do realize this will not get the new transmission).

Thanks. NWmb
Old 02-07-2005, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
If you can, wait and get the E350. I think that the extra power at no extra consumption is a good thing. The new E350 is putting out almost the same power as the old 420 V8s!

It is true that the 350 engine has been out for about one year. However, it sometimes takes much longer to have problems show up. I think that if you wait until you can get a good deal, there should hopefully be no problems. However, I would get an extended warranty and keep up on this board to see if there are any issues.

The reason I don't think that the SLK is a good test car is because that car does not tend to be a daily driver car. This means that there might be very few of them out with more than 30k miles. That is not much testing if you ask me.

In the end, you need decide if you want to be bothered by little or big problems. I personally think that the 320 is a very good engine and is more than adequate for my driving style. But, the 350 has to be better. As per the 5-speed transmission, it is a very good system once you know how to use it and how to tell it what you want it to do. I love it, but again, I think that the 7-speed would be nice. The 4-Matic is amazing!

Steve
Old 02-07-2005, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by NWmb
Hello. I知 thinking about purchasing a new E and wondering if I should wait for the E350. I am concerned with some board discussion that the 350 engine is too new and may have many issues. My salesman informs me that this engine has been in the SLK for a year and has been very reliable. Is this information correct? Any comments?

I知 also thinking about the ability to get a good deal. It seems to me that it may be late summer before the dealers are willing to give a great deal (e.g. near or below invoice) on an E350. Is this thinking correct, or flawed?

Any other comments are appreciated. I知 specifically looking at a 4matic sedan (yes, I do realize this will not get the new transmission).

Thanks. NWmb
The 350 engine may have some problems and it may not. It has been on the SLK and I think it has been in use in Germany. I will be placing my order within the next week or two for the E350 Wagon (no 4-matic) and preliminary pricing in CA does reflect a nice discount. As to how much, I will let that be known when I make a deal...there are still some dealers who I have not heard from.

If you are really concerned about the 350, then jump on a '05 320 now while there are dealer incentives and strong discounts...you won't find a E sedan cheaper than they are right now.