E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Please help...Replacing hood star/emblem...

Old 02-07-2005, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ML350 Inspiration, '01 SAAB 9-5
Angry Please help...Replacing hood star/emblem...

Hello all...i am new to the forum, i have been reading the posts on here for awhile, but have never posted a message until today. Anyway the reason for my post is b/c my gf had went to a bar in philly to watch the superbowl, and came out to find her 2004 E-class had been vandalized. Whoever decided to take out their frustration of the Eagles loss on her car, decided to pull the mirror up towards the roof of the car, causing it to snap out of the hinge, as well as pull out the hood ornament from the hood...... Her friend was able to fix the mirror assembly enough to keep it from falling off the door. I wanted to replace the hood ornament for her, and saw a few places online that had the parts, but wasnt 100% sure if they were all the same. Does anyone have any experence with purchasing this item online? Also, Is it easy to install? Many thanks in advance..
Old 02-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500 Silver/Charcoal
hood ornament

here are directions to remove star and install a flat emblem. its takes less than 5 minutes to remove it. i would give you my old standing star, but you are in NY.

Remove the original Mercedes "standing star" emblem by twisting it from under the hood. Once the spring pressure is released, it will pop out. Insert the white sleeves into the top of the emblem holder. The flat part of sleeves will be on top. Install the emblem holder with the attached nut and black clamp firmly, but not completely tight - so it can still be turned for proper positioning of the emblem. Add a little silicone adhesive under the hood emblem. Then press the fingers of the emblem into the white holder sleeves. Position the emblem to face correctly, then tighten the nut on the holder.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:34 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by yahooe500
here are directions to remove star and install a flat emblem. its takes less than 5 minutes to remove it. i would give you my old standing star, but you are in NY.

Remove the original Mercedes "standing star" emblem by twisting it from under the hood. Once the spring pressure is released, it will pop out. Insert the white sleeves into the top of the emblem holder. The flat part of sleeves will be on top. Install the emblem holder with the attached nut and black clamp firmly, but not completely tight - so it can still be turned for proper positioning of the emblem. Add a little silicone adhesive under the hood emblem. Then press the fingers of the emblem into the white holder sleeves. Position the emblem to face correctly, then tighten the nut on the holder.
If you get the same one-size-fits-all emblem kit that I did, you may find that on a W211, the bolt on the bottom of the emblem is too short to pass through the clamp/bracket and easily engage the nut. It's easy to lose control of the bracket while trying to screw the bolt on the nut, and have the bracket disappear between the metal layers of the hood, never to be seen again. Consider tying dental floss or something similar through the hole in the bracket while installing the flat emblem, so that you can (maybe) fish the bracket out of the hood if necessary.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:45 AM

2015 C300
I think you'll also find that many folks on here, including myself, have bought the emblem from Jerry at formymercedes.com. I bought the emblem and CL style grille from him and he's top notch...you can buy with confidence!!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:04 AM

thanks...just kind of annoying that have to go through all of this b/c someone decided to be stupid and destroy someone's property...

Last edited by VAHML350; 02-08-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:14 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
I've had a couple of vandalism incidents (keying and kicking a dent in a door) it does pi$$ you off! Both of mine were covered by comprehensive section of my auto policy. No rate increase after claim since it was not my fault. You may want to look into that. LOL
Old 02-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 E350
>I wanted to replace the hood ornament for her, and saw a few places online >that had the parts, but wasnt 100% sure if they were all the same. Does >anyone have any experence with purchasing this item online? Also, Is it >easy to install? Many thanks in advance..

I don't know about online, but I had to replace the standing star on my prior vehicle (C320) and it was under $20 at the dealer and there was no charge to install it.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:00 PM

yea i was going to try that as well, but i have reservations going to the MB of Princeton near my office. I had gone there to purchase a new wiper blade, and asked if they could help me put it on since it had been quite cold in the area and didnt want to stand outside and do it myself....the service people wanted to charge me $50 to do something that takes 5 minutes