E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

MP3 play order on 2005 E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
MP3 play order on 2005 E

Does anybody know how to get MP3-encoded CDs to play in track order on a US-spec 2005 E? I can't get any play orders except shuffle and alphabetical-by-file-name. It's like the player doesn't even look at the file tags. It's especially annying in concert albums where the intro at the end of the track doesn't go with the song that the player plays next.

TIA,

Jim
Old 02-15-2005, 07:02 PM

MP3s are data files. Files are generally sorted in alphabetical order by default. Besides, other sorting methods such as by date or by size can't be done with the onboard DVD player. So, the best you could do would be to start the file name with its track number.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:35 PM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
MP3s are tagged files

Originally Posted by Baby Jocko
...other sorting methods such as by date or by size can't be done with the onboard DVD player.
I don't have an onboard DVD player. It will play only CDs. I tried DVDs, and they don't work. I get only the CD logo on disc insertion, and not the DVD logo.

MP3 files contain metadata indicating artist, title, track number, genre, and several other things. All MP3 players that I know of, except the MB one, access the metadata and make options such as play only this genre and paly songs in track order available to the user.

Does the E player ignore the track tag? Does it look at any of the tags? If so, is there any reason why it does so?

Your suggestion about prepending the track number to the file name is a good workaround, but it is a manual operation since Gracenote and the other track labelers name the files by song title.

Jim
Old 02-15-2005, 10:20 PM

The CD player is not an MP3 player. It is only a simple CD player that can barely decode MP3 data sans the ID3 tags.

Your suggestion about prepending the track number to the file name is a good workaround, but it is a manual operation since Gracenote and the other track labelers name the files by song title.
If you are ripping directly from the CD yourself, there are programs that can name the tracks whichever way you like, including track number first. If you have acquired the MP3 by other means, then you are on your own (or you could create a batch routine).