E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Window tinting problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 01:04 AM
KB5

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Window tinting problems

I have seen in numerous forums and received comments from MB dealers that the metallic window tints negatively affect AM, Nav, and cell phone reception. My local window tinting company suggests using LLumar AT non-metallic on the back window, and LLumar metallic on all other windows.

Has anyone used this approach with success to work around the reception problem and does the new LLumar AT (lifetime fading guarantee) really not fade?
Old 02-21-2005, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 c230k coupe
wut are the difference between metallic and non metallic ..really?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:01 AM

MY12 W212 E350
I use Ceramic all around from Formula One...works great with NAV, and no issues with radio. Not sure about sat radio, have not tried it, but don't think it will impact either.

-alf
Old 02-21-2005, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
I've been tinting cars as a hobby and I've used Llumar film (their ATR lineup) for more than 10 years and haven't had any complaints with fading or discoloration. If I were you, just go with the Llumar AT non-metallic on all windows. Using metallic film on the side windows could still affect the reception on your key fob.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:00 PM

Window gasket

Did you guys replace the MB window gasket to prevent scratching of the tint.
If so, what did you use?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by alfcruiser
I use Ceramic all around from Formula One...works great with NAV, and no issues with radio. Not sure about sat radio, have not tried it, but don't think it will impact either.

-alf
I also used Formula One non metallic window tint. I have not had any problems at all. It has been over a year with no fading or any problems at all. The shop that did my windows does a lot of MB's from the local dealer and they always use the non metallic tint. No complaints yet they tell me!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:44 PM
KB5

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you for all the posts.

I sat in a CLK that had LLumar metallic 35% on the rear window and side windows and checked out the AM/FM and cell reception and found it was not affected by the tint.

I would like to go with Huper Optik ceramic however I have heard of too many complaints with rear window installations. It seems that rear window compound curves are difficult to do with Huper without getting ghosting distortion. The Huper distributer will not even comment to me on this issue.

At this point it looks like I'll go with LLumar metallic keeping the tint at 35%.